• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 3 Megaton..er.. MEGATHREAD

What are your specs? I was just wondering, would it run with my old mill even half deacently.

P4 3ghz, 1 gig and 7900gt AGP with 512megs - video card is o/c to just under 7900GTX levels
old system. I put it together a year before HL2 came out

runs ok at medium setting, 1280x960, but I tweaked things and turned shadows off (doesn't make a lot of difference unlike other games) and actor distance to max, and it averages about 28 fps with 8xAnsio, no AA, and with HDR. in the busier outdoor areas. And can shoot up to 40-65 in other areas. No HDR+AA together with my gen of video card like Obvilion.

Actually runs similar to Oblivion, maybe a little better optimised
More ram is better though to get rid of the judders when it's caching

Upvote 0
what I like is seeing, is trader caravan and other NPC traveling on their own in the land. I sometimes follow them as they move about slowly, and pick up the loot from the creatures/attackers they encounter and kill

or when I get attacked run away and lead the attackers into some of these other NPC and watch the fight :)

although it's not a common occurance as you'd expect

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My character - with and without hockey mask :)

Image6_Small.JPG

Image8_small.JPG

Upvote 0
Man this game is sooo awesome! :D

And it's also incredible how well they optimized it, I'm playing on 1280x1024, high settings and 4x AA and it always feels like 60fps :eek:(outdoor as well).

Somehow it seems to me that in the last 1-2 years there's not so much advantage in terms of graphical quality(like in 2004-2005 where every month there would be a game with even better graphics) but instead of making the games run much smoother.

Upvote 0
it loads really fast too! 30secs or so from load, to main screen to save game load to in the game
damn effecient, beats any recent game I have, which seem to be taking longer and longer to load....

I recommned the interface mod, increase the numbers of lines/smaller fonts to get rid of the console feel - the usual Oblivion type mods :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Downloaded this the day it came out. There-s certainly a sense of hugeness to the game but I'm finding that (in D.C anyway) that you get funnelled through the subway and tunnels due to the strategic placing of rubble by the devs...

Apart from that I'm really enjoying the game. I thought the Action points, slow-mo battle sequences would suck but I'm finding it quite flexible and enjoyable. Nothing like killing Nathan in Megaton, taking his keys, going to his house in the middle of the night, creeping up on his 70 year old mourning wife and cutting her head off with a kitchen knife *ahhhh*

In one of the houses there is a pile of 12 bodies, some legless, some armless but almost all headless.:cool:

Though perhaps my favourite part so far was when I discovered a phone-box like nuke shelter humming away in the darkness. I approached cautiously and opened it and two scorched skeletons fell out. The level of detail is immense and beautifully done.

Regards,
Jono

Upvote 0
Downloaded this the day it came out.
Well I hope you bought it..

What impresses me most about this game is the scale. When you're
Spoiler!
that's really kinda epic especcially if you look down at the landscape/ruins it's just really cool. Also I have to say that I really like VATS. When I first heard of it I thought it was rather unneccessary as I prefer real time combat but this is kinda really strategic sometimes and watching the animations(and often it ends brutally) is just really awesome.

Definitely one if not the best game I've played this year so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So how does Fallout 3 compare to the previous 2 games, gameplay-wise?
Is it what Oblivion was to Morrowind?
I'm becoming interested more and more, though i didnt pay any attention to it previously. However, if it's an unworthy product sequel-wise, i'd rather not play it even though i havent played previous Fallout games.

I know that sounds weird and i suspect some of you will want to bash me for it lol, but after several of my own franchises gone that way i know what that feels like, and i dont want to be part of 'that crowd that now plays MY Fallout' :p
God knows how pissed off i can get by hearing other people say good stuff about Vegas or other, how realistic it is etc :rolleyes:

Anyways, is there enough depth in the gameplay? I'm not wanting an Oblivion with guns, cause Oblivion plain sucked, especially if you played Morrowind. I played Oblivion for like 2 hours and then quit that bucket of crap and left it for dead.

Upvote 0
Hold reload to holster your gun and hold "change view" to get free cam.

Btw, I loved Fallout 1+2, loved Oblivion (after heavy modding) and Fallout 3 is great. There are the typical bethesda issues, but there are already modifications coming out to fix small things and with more content coming some time in the future (even if you have to pay for it) and mods comming out, I see a great future in this game.

Upvote 0
Well I hope you bought it..

When I say "downloaded", I mean downloaded from Steam :rolleyes:. I haven't checked but I doubt the 'pirates' could have got a fully working pirated version up and ready for the day of the release. Or maybe I'm underestimating them?

BTW is anybody here, who has played the game for at least an hour got positive karma? Personally, I really have to hold back from killing people...

For example:
Beggar- Do you have any purified wat- *BANG*

Child- My parents are in trouble and they need he- *BANG*....*BANG*...

.. *BANG*

I need help :eek::D

Upvote 0
When I say "downloaded", I mean downloaded from Steam :rolleyes:. I haven't checked but I doubt the 'pirates' could have got a fully working pirated version up and ready for the day of the release. Or maybe I'm underestimating them?

BTW is anybody here, who has played the game for at least an hour got positive karma? Personally, I really have to hold back from killing people...

For example:
Beggar- Do you have any purified wat- *BANG*

Child- My parents are in trouble and they need he- *BANG*....*BANG*...

.. *BANG*

I need help :eek::D

12 hours in, im a level 8(im just taking my time exploring) and i have very good karma. in the stats thing my guy is like jesus. i still kill everyone which makes me lose karma, but giving water to the beggar and scrap metal for free to walter in megaton always boosts it back up

Upvote 0
My Karma is very good, in the stats it shows a picture of Vault Boy dressed up as Jesus. I've decided to be a good guy first (not TOO good though), and if I ever play through it again, I'll be a total psychopath. :D

I've played 38 hours so far. And still only explored about 1/3 of the Capital Wasteland. :eek: The scale is incredible. Lots of cool areas.

By the way, I have a problem lately where I can't see as far as I used to anymore. Enemies only pop up about 15 meters in front of me. I never had this before. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0