• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Call of Duty 5

Well, they removed some things that were just right, like being able to stop sprinting by not holding the spring button; in 5 you can toggle sprint but you can't untoggle it unless you crouch or do something like that. They also did some weird stuff with weapon sounds (not talking about the quality, which is also rather crappy) so you can't hear people shooting like 50 or so meters away from you.
Besides, the fact that a huge part of it is the same as CoD 4 doesn't really go down as a plus, at least not in my book.

Upvote 0
I have never been a fan of the COD series so i am never looking to be impressed by any of the games that are released each year. The weapons feel and sound 'flat' and the maps are small and don't offer much depth in the way that RO's maps do.

I played the beta last night, it just looks and feels like COD 4. I'll have another blast tonight and check out the rest of the maps.

Upvote 0
i came in thinking that the game was bad, and i left with the impression that the game sucked. i never was a fan of cod4-i was level 50 with a few prestiges, and had a 3:1 kdratio, so it wasnt because i was bad- and this is more of the same, except after playing RO i can really never look at other ww2 games in the same way

Upvote 0
Well personally I'd love ranks and maybe even achievements in RO or GAME2. It has kinda become standard and just adds tons of replayability. A game without that I play every now and then but a game with so much motivating stuff you'll(or me at least) play for months till you finally reached highest level or whatever you can get.

WTF?

Gmaes shouldn't need lame things like this to keep your attention, they should do it anyway.

Upvote 0
This is my review on the beta. I wrote it for my clan's website, but figured I would post it here as well. These are my opinions only.
----------------
Quick and easy download, easy to install. Many times, I had trouble getting into many servers with pings as low as 30, said servers were for low ping players (under 255). I have problems with it crashing on exit. No biggy, it is a beta and those things happen.

I like adding clan tags, as you can't add anything to your name with spaces or special characters.

With setup, I put everything on maximum settings. I would give them a B+ on the graphics.

Sounds are really kinda lame, after playing RO, the sounds for this beta just suck and considering the production, could be worlds better. Keifer Sutherland's voice as the Americans is good, the Russian, German, and Japanese voices make me want to stick ice picks in my ears after awhile. And what is this, "they are taking the lead" crap? This ain't a football game. That strange chanting in War mode is just weird and annoying.

Hardcore mode killing is very good. It's nice getting one shot, one kill. If not hardcore, not impressed at all.

Weapons have no sway, and there seems to be very little difference between them other than maybe some rate of fire and the visuals. The weapon availability to all nationalities is sort of a joke. Hate the dogs.

Perks, don't like, but then I don't have to use them if I don't want. I couldn't care less about achievements as well.

I haven't used any vehicles, but they move like they are on speed, and I hear they sorta' operate like in CODUO. After using Red Orchestra's tanks, I can only say that if that is all they can offer with tanks...then it is laughable.

The maps in the beta are pathetically small, shoebox small. The looks of them are just way too crowded. I keep hearing Clint Eastwood's voice from Heartbreak Ridge in my head when I see them... "clusterfu**". I did like the looks of Castle though, despite its being small. Definite spawn killing issues of all sorts. Even some of the larger maps I have seen from the overheads posted look small, smaller than RO's smallest maps.

Gamespeed was way too fast with everyone running around with all their dodgy moves. That is ok, in that you don't have to play that way to an extent, but if it is available in game, then some players will use it. Watch out for the bunny hoppers...

--------------

I never felt immersed in the game. It just seems all too arcady and I don't get that feeling like I am in a battle hardly at all (and that is being kind), like I really didn't have a purpose in the game despite capturing flags, or HQ, I more or less felt like I was running around in circles just shooting at the enemy. The uniforms, the weapon looks and names all say WW2, but you could swap them out with other skins and it would still have the same feeling for me.

--------------

Graphically, the game looks really good, has psuedo-Japanese, and it has mantling. In all other aspects, the game I am currently playing, Red Orchestra, beats it hands down...no contest. It has more realism, more variety, more of everything, weapons feel different and more real, tanks that act like tanks, bigger battlefield type maps, and I actually feel immersed in what is going on between the to sides. These are all things I am looking for in a game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played my share of COD 4. Beside the looks it never grew on me.
Didn't like the modes,spawnsystem,stockmapsize you name it. The only thing I did like was the look of the game. So blasphemy or not i decided to make some maps for it. One of the reasons I decided to make them was to see if I still could work with radiant. Long sory short, own map or not, I still didn't like the overall gameplay. The fact one of my maps doubled the size compared to the shoebox size stockmaps made the spawnsystem
a tad better.

Now I read that COD 5 is more or less COD 4 in WW2 clothes I'd better skip that game. IMO A good game doesn't need Ranks and Archievements.

Lately the Darkest Hour mod got me back on playing Red Orchestra. Never thought it would happen but it did. And I already played some perfect games where teamwork made us victorious in one of the Bulge maps.
Now thats more worth then a silly rank or perk....

Upvote 0