• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game 2 is gonna have to be one hell of a game

What with the upcoming release of "Armed Assault II" and "Operation Flash Point II" for realism and graphics and CoD5 apparently going back to it's WWII heritage (I've just seen promo's on YouTube) IMO Tripwire is really going to have to push the envelope now.

RO the mod , at it's inception , was a unique game. Not only combined arms but iron sights too. Everyone else was still using the cross hairs in centre screen.

It evolved into what we have today.. a great game based on realism but now , unfortunately dated.

So many games since then and yet to be released now focus on these aspects so the market is becoming virtually flooded with "realism" based games.RO is no longer unique in that aspect.

The AI in Armed Assault II is purported to take advantage of the second core in a dual CPU and is supposed to be so human like it will be hard to tell the difference. This aspect effects SP mode primarily but also offers up the opportunity for huge battles by being a squad leader with AI under your control. (In all honesty , is that hype or reality??).

Anyway , with the huge advances in graphics and gameplay since RO:O was released , IMO the developers are gong to have to come up with not only something unique but graphically outstanding (unfortunately for the majority graphics seem to sell rather than game play).

Another option (remember quit a few are still playing the old DoD and CS) is to come up with some new content and features for what we already have and rely on game play to sell and retain the existing RO players rather than sinking bundles of cash and effort into such a risky venture as a new video game.

Maybe roll the existing RO over into the new engine for better graphics,up the AI to attract the SP market (this market is huge as not everyone is enamored with online game play as can be attested to by looking at game sales for consoles etc.) and re-release it. Just a thought.

Best of luck anyway and I and many others anxiously await some kind of leak as to what's in store.

I hope that in the long-term the relationship between Tripwire Interactive and Valve Corp will extend to a point where both (and hopefully some other renown (indie) developers) can develop a modular game engine (if they still exist in the form as we know today) which is based on Source but is also very suitable for Tripwire Interactive's needs and always in the top of the league.

Obviously Unreal Engine 3.0 is a very good engine, but it's not as modular as a Valve engine and it's a middleware package developed for more common needs.
Although it seems to fit Tripwire Interactive's desires more at the moment, you know there will always be an Unreal Engine 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, etc.

Oh, you were talking about Game 2?
Yeah, it'll rock! :D

Upvote 0
Guys when Tripwire thinks it has enough to show about HK online 2 these forums will be the first to know it is even coming (even if it isn't announced here).

And while the HK 2 stuff is a joke, the rest isn't. Be patient and I am sure you will be pleased. Tripwire doesn't want to start building hype too early on and have interest drop out from under them before the launch. John and the gang know you all want info, and I am sure they want to start telling you guys as well, but they have to think about the big picture.

Upvote 0
to be a succes, in regards to the other big budget games coming out, their next game will simply have to "not-suck" and that will already put them high above COD5.
another good indicator for "goodness" will be if the people that like what the COD series have become now, won't like TW's next game. and i will be sure to love it

Upvote 0
I'm not expecting the game before 2010 to be honest (maybe Nov - Dec 2009). TW is only a small development studio and we still don't know anything about the game, other than that it will be a "tactical shooter".

Obviously Unreal Engine 3.0 is a very good engine, but it's not as modular as a Valve engine and it's a middleware package developed for more common needs.

Are you serious? UE3 is capable of a much larger variety of games and genres than Source ever will. Source struggles with realism, I'd say it's pretty much impossible to do that on the engine correctly. Just look at INS and RnL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you serious? UE3 is capable of a much larger variety of games and genres than Source ever will. Source struggles with realism, I'd say it's pretty much impossible to do that on the engine correctly. Just look at INS and RnL.
I'm not talking about Source, but something among the line of the Source engine.

An engine which is completely modular and easy to update as time progresses.
With the broad spectrum of different uses that the Unreal Engine 3.0 package offers.

Please do mind that Source was never built with the intent of powering the more realistic games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0