• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I've got an Eee PC does anyone else have one?

Fu. Svedberg

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sweden
Currently on a meeting out of town and I'm loving my Eee 901 (only thing is that every one comments that I have a girls computer :p ) :D

Perfect travel computer for mail checking, surfing, making spread sheets, writing documents and presentatons.

I also really like the battery time, I get around 6h with Ubuntu eee from it :)

It's just a bit tricky getting used to the small keyboard :p

Thought about getting one for my wife, but I am not sure if the little thing can even handle flash games. Saw one for 299 here (No idea which model, but it only had a 4 gig ssd), pretty decent price imho.

The question is: What can it do and what not?

4 gig SSD sounds like the Eee 700 (it's old, slow and only has a 7" monitor).

The Eee 901 is good for simpler office tasks (as I described earlier) probably nothing for heavy image/video/sound editing or running debugging and compiling of complicated code on. It also works fine for watching videos (youtube also works :p ), listening to music etc.

It's not a work horse, it's juast an ultra portable with long lasting battery to have on buissiness trips for meetings etc.

Upvote 0
I'm not a girl, so no, I don't have one ;)

I happen to know a girl, she's got one.

I sent myself an email from it, the box of tricks, as she lovingly calls it, from the UK, when I got home (France) it wasn't in my mailbox.

I sent myself two other emails from two (2) different computers (same time, same place) and they both arrived safe and sound.

Now I have to go through the usual channels (my sister-in-law :eek:) to make contact, ah passion is a long and winding road...

A part from this little misunderstanding I found it to be an excellent tool.

Upvote 0
I thought about getting one but I'm still waiting for a cheaper non-asus knock off. Same as with the apple toys i feel there is still some room for price reduction left.

Get the $100 laptop, 400Mhz of pure AMD power!
Picture%204.png

Though sadly i think theyve got rid of the super green colour scheme in the newer designs :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have one here for work that just sits in the corner and it's job is to refresh a webpage every 5 minutes.

The little I've played with it, I like it.. although I have big hands so using the K/B to much would be killer on me; otherwise I'd probably get it since I only really use my laptop for web/email and occasional console-cabling to h/w.

Upvote 0
Targa-1.jpg

Just got this little gem.
299€s.

Using PS7, Corel, some programs that I use at work (GravoStyle).

Have played Half-Life, DoD and in the near future CS for sure.

Its a Targa bought at Lidl, I like Targa for the simple reason that there is an authentic disk supplied.

I haven't tried but I reckon I can get Unreal to work with OpenGL rendering.

10" screen, 1 go of ram, 160 HD, 3 usb and everything you need apart from a DVD but that is not a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought an Eee 701 shortly after they were released. Loved it. It will indeed run RO just fine, even with the Celeron M 900. It could also handle 2,000,000+ polygon models in Zbrush, and run external monitors at 1440x900 while streaming full-screen video from Hulu, etc.

I gave that one to my dad in ... February? March? Something like that ... replaced it with the brand new 1000HE (10" screen, Atom, etc.). That one got stolen in a burglary last month. I've already ordered the replacement (same thing again), and it'll be here tomorrow.

It's cheap, it does every damn thing I can see myself doing with a laptop, and it's small. If I need more computing power than I have with that, then hell, I've got a quad-core w/ 8 gigs, dual monitors, and a couple TB's of hard drive sitting on my desk... not that I actually have time to fire it up more than a couple times a month.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm hoping for a wave of even cheaper ARM chip powered devices with longer battery life. I don't want windows, I don't want games... I just want something small, cheap, that can browse the net/play avi's/do a bit of typing and can run for 8 hours+.

The first netbooks were a great idea... but it seems all the newer ones are going backwards towards a normal laptop. They're just getting more expensive, more powerful and often larger. And if I wanted something large and powerful... well... I already have a full size laptop which does that :p

Upvote 0
I still use my Eee 901 and I love it for what it is (running Ubuntu eee on it).

But I agree with previous poster that the netbook trend has kind of lost direction since they are more and more normal laptops.

To me the Eee 901 was perfect since it was small and cheap. Newer netbooks are smaller than a normal notebook but to big to be as portable as a 9" netbook, usually have to bad battery time and most important they are to expensive. They've moved in trying to replace/work as a main computer, something I never believed that my Eee 901 would do. My Eee 901 was a complement to my main computer.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm hoping for a wave of even cheaper ARM chip powered devices with longer battery life. I don't want windows, I don't want games... I just want something small, cheap, that can browse the net/play avi's/do a bit of typing and can run for 8 hours+.

The first netbooks were a great idea... but it seems all the newer ones are going backwards towards a normal laptop. They're just getting more expensive, more powerful and often larger. And if I wanted something large and powerful... well... I already have a full size laptop which does that :p
An iPod Touch? It has ARM, it doesn't have Windows and it can do basic browsing, AVI's and even games. :D

I was planning on buying the 1000HE/1000HA, but I'm saving up for a Moorestown or Pineview netbook. In the mean time I'm getting an Eee Box or sth for HTPC use.

Upvote 0