• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] Max Payne The Movie

This is probably the first game-to-movie adaptation that doesnt blow epic balls.

I've seen it at the cinemas, and i was very skeptical before i went there, but i came back out a smiling man.
They gave the story a few minor twists to suit better to a movie, but they didnt mess it up like say, the Hitman movie did (killerclone kills anyone without emotion turned orphan raised by church to destroy all evil...)

A minor example would be Mona, wich you only get to see during MP2 if i remember correctly (or maybe at the end of MP1?) was in the movie and took a bigger role, ala Max Payne 2.
Another thing that was strange to me was that old Caucasian bald Jim Bravura was now a young black dude.
But that's about it, there are some other minor twists in the story but nothing griping, and i played and loved both Max Payne games.

And for those who got worried by the 'demons' flying around in trailers (like me), dont worry about them since they are hallucinations wich are only seen by people who took the Valkyr drug
smile_o.gif

The drug was meant to make soldiers kill without fear of death for themselves, basically the vikingway of getting killed gloriously and taken up to Valhalla by the Valkyries.

So i'm left positive about this movie, i think a lot of moviemakers who make gamemovies could learn a lesson from this one.

Upvote 0
http://www.edge-online.com/news/3d-realms-bewildered-max-payne-flick

About sums it up.

I'm honestly getting so sick of comic book/game/other media being made into films, and then deviating so much from their source material. WHAT THE ****!!!

The people who have played the games, are mostly looking for you to represent the game...and the people who haven't played the game won't give a **** about the story because they've never played the game in the first place! Why would you change the story to suit them!?

Seriously!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You meet Mona Sax in the first game sporadically.
Spoiler!

Also, isn't Beau Bridges playing B.B.? The sleazy decadent two-timing bent cop? I think he'd be a better cast for Jim Bravura and let someone else play B.B., someone who can really sell being an asshole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How does Wahlberg play his role though? Does he do Max justice?

He like him as an actor. His face actually looks like a mix between the original character and the face from the second game :D
I say he performed good enough for me.

The only thing i kind of missed were bullet-time scenes (there were a few moments but not a lot), and Max's remarks, you know, like, his thoughts about stuff. Part of what made MP so great was the way he commented on things, but he doesnt do that a lot in the movie, only at the beginning.

Upvote 0
The film sucked big time.
I mean, yes, there's that good old atmosphere of MP, but wtf with the bullet-time? Where the hell is it? More over, where the hell are those shootouts that made the game so great? There are only 2 scenes where you begin to think - yeah, I now recognise the game, but the longest one is only one minute long.
If you want to see junkies' visions of flying Valkyries, go ahead and watch this film, as you will be looking at it most of the time watching the film. If not, it's OK not to watch it.

Upvote 0
Yeah there werent that much shootouts, but then again, the movie only has like 1,5 hour to tell you what the story is about, and that they did do pretty well imo.
There are some nice little touches though wich fans of the games should recognize, like the subwaystation that's actually called Roscoe street station as in the game.

Somehow i dont think they wouldve done the story much justice if the focus was only on the shootouts, and even now it misses some stuff, like the only time that Vinnie Gognitti got mentioned was when the camera floats by his gasstation or something.
I personally still think it's the best game-to-movie adaptation so far.

Upvote 0
Yeah there werent that much shootouts, but then again, the movie only has like 1,5 hour to tell you what the story is about, and that they did do pretty well imo.
They've focused on the story-telling and yet, they've managed to fail it, as they didn't followed it correctly, instead, they invented a new plot wich had few connections with the game.
I say, a DVD is a maximum what this film deserves. Or even - go download it via torrent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0