• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Far Cry 2

Here's hoping they will release a nice and stable modding tool later. A Vietnam War mod in FC2 would be sweet.

I'm still not sure whether to buy this game yet, the news about DRM being implemented doesn't sound good at all even though there's a way to restore the activation after uninstalling the game. The new "revoke" process just makes it more confusing and frustrating. No need for the whole DRM bulls*** anyways.

Come on, the people who have paid for legitimate copies have been complaining about DRM for years and most game developers still implement it to their games? Haven't they learned anything or do they even listen to their costumers? I guess it's difficult to understand that DRM affects only in a negative way.

Haha, just visited the Ubi forums. I'm not surprised to see bunch of consolified "El1t3 Sn1p3r" kiddies in there. :D

Upvote 0
The editor seems really awesome. I'm not a editing person myself but having seen the videos and what you can create with it I'm sure that every modder will love it! Good job there, especcially when you see other developers basically not giving a **** about the mod scene.

I think these kind of easy albeit less deep editors would be great for tactical military shooters. They probably suck for detailed and diverse indoor scenarios, but for large scale infantry battles you don't need that much detail and it doesn't matter that much if the maps are more alike. I really hope this will get thing will get more popular than their previous attempts which pretty much failed in the modding scene.

Upvote 0
Good job there, especcially when you see other developers basically not giving a **** about the mod scene.
As if ubi cared! The editor isn't worth a lot more than the editor in Age of Empires 1 and 2 (it isn't worth less either)! You can make maps with it, that's about it. If they don't release a real SDK along with this editor it's worthless for the modding scene.

At first people see the maps created with it and meassure them against maps created with other editors and since they all use top-notch content that came with FC2 (and NOTHING more, I might add) and special effects like dynamic shadows are done by the engine the maps look terrific. "Just think about how long this would have taken with UnrealEd". You want a real answer? If the lighting was done dynamically and all you would have to do is to manipulate a terrain and throw retail-StaticMeshes onto it: Not much longer!

The exitement will fade soon anyway!
It won't take more than a month until everyone tried the editor themselves and made a map that is more or less playable and as soon as that happened people won't look at other maps in awe anymore but they are going to look for creativity and innovation in other maps. What are other mappers doing? What ideas could I use for my own next map?
With this in mind they will completely blend out the prettyness of the content and concentrate on what makes this map special and it's not going to be much, because artistically speaking there isn't a lot invested in the maps. The creativity was done by the folks who made the game.

The same happens in more complex editors too, btw. If you release a map for UT2004 that consists of nothing but BarrenArchitecture textures and Egypt meshes ripped from stock maps people will be bored by it, no matter how pretty the stuff is and they won't care about the gameplay either! "Not another egypt map". The difference is, that in UnrealEd you can make whatever you want, and in Far Cry 2 you are stuck with Egypt StaticMeshes, so to speak.

There will be an endless sea of maps that are more or less exactly alike, differing only in their layout and as every tard can make maps then a quarter of them will have a river in the middle, another quarter will consist of small islands and another quarter will be Omaha Beach remakes. The rest will be somewhat thought-out but artistically boring.

The only sparks of creativity and innovation are going to suck. Hard. I know it sounds cruel, but I've seen it happen in Far Cry Instincts, which uses a very similar editor. People started to use objects for things other than what they were meant to be used. Someone created "caves" by digging a hole and putting rocks over it. It looked horrible! Someone else made a huge ship out of containermodels. It looked horrible as well! I mean, no offense to the guys. The idea was great and the execution was probably only limited by the editor but truth be told, the results down-right sucked!

It IS a great tool for gamers because it ensures that there are a lot of maps to play on. They will all more or less look alike but at least you won't know where the hiding spots are in every map so it will keep things fresher than without the editor. So I'm in no way against the tool!
I just don't like it when people praise it as a great step for the modding scene if they don't know anything about using a real editor and the benefits they have over sandboxes like the FC2 editor.

Of course Ubi is going to make it seem like this was next big step because mapping is now easy. Of course it's easy. People can't do anything with it but put their toys into their sandbox. What could possibly be hard about that? Easy, sure, good for gamers, sure, but good for the modding scene? Not really.

This editor is to mapping what Spore is to character-modelling. Nothing more, nothing less.

Upvote 0
As if ubi cared! The editor isn't worth a lot more than the editor in Age of Empires 1 and 2 (it isn't worth less either)! You can make maps with it, that's about it. If they don't release a real SDK along with this editor it's worthless for the modding scene.

At first people see the maps created with it and meassure them against maps created with other editors and since they all use top-notch content that came with FC2 (and NOTHING more, I might add) and special effects like dynamic shadows are done by the engine the maps look terrific. "Just think about how long this would have taken with UnrealEd". You want a real answer? If the lighting was done dynamically and all you would have to do is to manipulate a terrain and throw retail-StaticMeshes onto it: Not much longer!

The exitement will fade soon anyway!
It won't take more than a month until everyone tried the editor themselves and made a map that is more or less playable and as soon as that happened people won't look at other maps in awe anymore but they are going to look for creativity and innovation in other maps. What are other mappers doing? What ideas could I use for my own next map?
With this in mind they will completely blend out the prettyness of the content and concentrate on what makes this map special and it's not going to be much, because artistically speaking there isn't a lot invested in the maps. The creativity was done by the folks who made the game.

The same happens in more complex editors too, btw. If you release a map for UT2004 that consists of nothing but BarrenArchitecture textures and Egypt meshes ripped from stock maps people will be bored by it, no matter how pretty the stuff is and they won't care about the gameplay either! "Not another egypt map". The difference is, that in UnrealEd you can make whatever you want, and in Far Cry 2 you are stuck with Egypt StaticMeshes, so to speak.

There will be an endless sea of maps that are more or less exactly alike, differing only in their layout and as every tard can make maps then a quarter of them will have a river in the middle, another quarter will consist of small islands and another quarter will be Omaha Beach remakes. The rest will be somewhat thought-out but artistically boring.

The only sparks of creativity and innovation are going to suck. Hard. I know it sounds cruel, but I've seen it happen in Far Cry Instincts, which uses a very similar editor. People started to use objects for things other than what they were meant to be used. Someone created "caves" by digging a hole and putting rocks over it. It looked horrible! Someone else made a huge ship out of containermodels. It looked horrible as well! I mean, no offense to the guys. The idea was great and the execution was probably only limited by the editor but truth be told, the results down-right sucked!

It IS a great tool for gamers because it ensures that there are a lot of maps to play on. They will all more or less look alike but at least you won't know where the hiding spots are in every map so it will keep things fresher than without the editor. So I'm in no way against the tool!
I just don't like it when people praise it as a great step for the modding scene if they don't know anything about using a real editor and the benefits they have over sandboxes like the FC2 editor.

Of course Ubi is going to make it seem like this was next big step because mapping is now easy. Of course it's easy. People can't do anything with it but put their toys into their sandbox. What could possibly be hard about that? Easy, sure, good for gamers, sure, but good for the modding scene? Not really.

This editor is to mapping what Spore is to character-modelling. Nothing more, nothing less.

Totally agree. However there are some nice tools like the "vegation groups" and the "paint texture on terrain this steep" which could be useful (and possible!) for (future) RO maps. And also the terrain doesn't look very realistic if you don't spent a single thought in the topography, just look at an photo taken from a plane flying over the African savanna. The formation of a landscape follows strict rules.

Upvote 0
Gosh this DRM thing affects 0,2% of the people maybe and just because those 0,2% are going mad about it everything thinks OH NO IT DESTROYS THE GAME HALP!!!

I'm not saying that it's good, it is a stupid thing indeed. But stop it with this hate, it's always the same. You just have to throw a corn on the ground and everybody immediately wants to crash it.

Again I'm not saying I like that system at all and I'd prefer it if there was no DRM. But acting as if would affect you in any direct way is BS. Neither is your HDD going to crash 5x in a row(and even then you can still just call/contact ubi support to get them back) or if you know that you buy a new PC or sth. you just have to uninstall it and you get that 'activation' back.

If you take BioShock or Mass Effect for example, they both have copy protection and I've never installed those games more than once. And in this case I = the majority because like EA-Chef Riccitiello said, it's 0,2% of people maybe who are actually really having any problems.

Now using this as an excuse to pirate the game is the most cowardly thing you can do. That way you're just encouraging the publishers to add even more protection: If people would actually buy more PC games than pirate them then there wouldn't be a need of that. And while one can sure discuss about how DRM actually stops piracy, pirating the game won't stop DRM. Fact.

OMG, you have absolutely no idea!!!!

gtfo!

Upvote 0
Did I? I don't think I did.

Besides: Far Cry Instincts and Evolution had stock-maps that weren't made with the editor but with the real SDK, which wasn't released of course (it's an xbox game). A city or town map in Instincts, a map with water falls in Evolution are both glaring examples although almost every stock map contains stuff that simply can't be done with the editor.
And if they do have a template for a town map, so what? That doesn't say anything against what I said about the editor. I don't know if you have any experience with the old console Far Cries and any experience with a real SDK like say, Hammer, Radiant or UnrealEd but if you haven't you might as well trust the word of those who know more than you instead of just sucking up what those tell you who want to sell their product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Truth is there are Editors and then there are editors.
I've mucked about with Hammer, Source and UNrealEd,(WarcraftEd as well but thats another story) so I have a very slight idea of how it works.

My latest exploit was the ArmA Editor, which to the common people is indeed another sandbox affair.
I consider it to be a quite an elaborated bot pathing program.

Now do this... Install Visitor3 (if you have the staying power) and go edit...

What I would love to see is an Editor with the potential of UnrealED for world building, combined with something similar to the way-point/pathing that is found in the ArmA editor.

If someone knows if this exists already please post a link.

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Truth is there are Editors and then there are editors.
I've mucked about with Hammer, Source and UNrealEd,(WarcraftEd as well but thats another story) so I have a very slight idea of how it works.

My latest exploit was the ArmA Editor, which to the common people is indeed another sandbox affair.
I consider it to be a quite an elaborated bot pathing program.

Now do this... Install Visitor3 (if you have the staying power) and go edit...

What I would love to see is an Editor with the potential of UnrealED for world building, combined with something similar to the way-point/pathing that is found in the ArmA editor.

If someone knows if this exists already please post a link.

Thanks...

Botpathing works exactly the same in UnrealED but you need a bit more patientience to place all of those apples ;)

UnrealED is superior over the ArmA editor in terms of what you can do, you can tell the bots to use an elevator or where they are supposed to fire from. However the ArmA "botpaths" are more user friendly and there are no elevators in ArmA :p
And in general the bots in RO suck because it is a MP game where ArmA is more a COOP game (or at least it is used as one in the most cases)
My conclusion you don't need something like that in RO *waves his hand in front of 51's face*

Upvote 0
Gosh this DRM thing affects 0,2% of the people maybe and just because those 0,2% are going mad about it everything thinks OH NO IT DESTROYS THE GAME HALP!!!

I'm not saying that it's good, it is a stupid thing indeed. But stop it with this hate, it's always the same. You just have to throw a corn on the ground and everybody immediately wants to crash it.

Again I'm not saying I like that system at all and I'd prefer it if there was no DRM. But acting as if would affect you in any direct way is BS. Neither is your HDD going to crash 5x in a row(and even then you can still just call/contact ubi support to get them back) or if you know that you buy a new PC or sth. you just have to uninstall it and you get that 'activation' back.

If you take BioShock or Mass Effect for example, they both have copy protection and I've never installed those games more than once. And in this case I = the majority because like EA-Chef Riccitiello said, it's 0,2% of people maybe who are actually really having any problems.

Now using this as an excuse to pirate the game is the most cowardly thing you can do. That way you're just encouraging the publishers to add even more protection: If people would actually buy more PC games than pirate them then there wouldn't be a need of that. And while one can sure discuss about how DRM actually stops piracy, pirating the game won't stop DRM. Fact.

Show me just one person in this thread who said they would pirate FC2, don't jump to conclusions mate..

We all know DRM doesen't work as protection, Bioshock and Mass Effect? yup, they are on torrent sites, as are all the others, the pirates are not stopped by DRM, often they are not even delayed, quite the opposite, they often manage to get a copy of the game before us paying customers becaue the leak and crack happens when the game goes gold, DRM is a total failure at doing what it was supposed to do, infact crackers see DRM as a challenge, and as an e-peen booster if they can get the game out cracked and working before the retail release, and thus thease games are targeted by them.

All DRM does is punish the paying customer, and for no good reason (since it doesen't work), it is us that have to put up with it, who have to be online to play an offfline game, who have to uninstall and reinstall our games just because we are changing hardware, who have to phone in and beg for the abillity to play a game we payed for, we are the ones who get hurt by it, not the pirates, they get the game anyway, and all of this BS will have been removed from the cracked copy.

You tell me how that makes sense, or how its going to help the PC as platform for that matter, why would people continue to upgrade their PC hardware and pay for their games, if it means all they get out of it is annoying systems that will hassle them, and getting treated like a criminal?
They could just as easy get a Console where they wont have to put up with this crap, or just pirate their games instead which will also remove thease annoyances, and that does not help the PC platform!

DRM supports piracy, because the pirated product is the superiour product, get the game cracked and it will nolonger hassle you, so what incentive do people really have to go out and pay for the game, and then have to put up with this crap, when they can just pirate it for free and get a more userfreindly product?
The industry is shooting themselves in the foot with this BS, and worse, they are hurting the platform with it.

This is not going to change unless we vote with our wallets, boycut DRM, don't buy the games that use it, and don't pirate them either, because then they will just blame the games lack of success on piracy and not on the DRM, if you want PC gaming to survive, then don't support the things that are killing it, DRM is killing us because it makes Console games more attractive by comparison, and it incurrages piracy, and piracy is ofcourse killing us because nobody will want to make PC games if they can't make a profit on them.

Just say no to both, the industry needs to get the message through their thick skulls, don't buy and don't pirate, and make it very clear to them, if you can, that DRM is the reason you are not buying, and that you wont buy untill such time they patch their games to remove the DRM compleately.

Yes that means you will miss out on some new releases right now, but if you want PC gaming to still exist in the future, its bloody well worth that!
And besides, if their games wont sell because of DRM, they will be forced to patch the games and remove it, and you'll get to play them anyway at a later time.

Upvote 0
Show me just one person in this thread who said they would pirate FC2, don't jump to conclusions mate..

Multiple people said they would get the game from "somewhere" else after hearing it would have DRM and that they were against DRM, but they all got deleted, even though they gave reasoned arguments. Me personally, I was going to buy FC2, but not anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0