• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Call of Duty 5

From what I read btw there wont be read dot sights, those were just kind of like old glass sights with a painted black cross on them or sth.

Thats even worse, because that would never, ever, work as a gunsight, it's not possible to aim with, a dot painted on a pane of glass will allways look like a dot in the center of the glass, you could be aiming way off to either side, or up or down, but the dot would still look centered on the glass to you, thats why iron sights allways consists of two sepperape sights you must align.

Red-Dot sights work because they do not just draw a dot in the center of the scope, the dot allmost behaves like a laserpointer, only the dot can only be seen inside the scope, it will allways aim where it was intended to aim, so if you look through it at an angle, the dot wont be in the center, but pointing at where you are going to hit (and you wont even see the dot in there if your aim is too off center).

Scoes work like that also, you can only see though a scope if you are looking directly thought it, look though it at an angle and it will turn black, so you know that if you can see though the scope, your eye is propperly aligned with it.

Old fashioned Reflex sights and modern holographic sights do it too, the reticle is not drawn in the center of the sight, but at where you are aiming, and its up to you to align your eye propperly with the sight so you can see the reticle.

A dot painted on a pane of glass wont do that, and thus it cannot be used for aiming, the dot will allways be in the center of the glass and not where you are actually aiming.
Using Red-dots was BS because they didn't exist back then, but this is doubly BS because not only did it not exist, it's also not possible to use it as a sight in real life.

Upvote 0
Thats even worse, because that would never, ever, work as a gunsight, it's not possible to aim with, a dot painted on a pane of glass will allways look like a dot in the center of the glass, you could be aiming way off to either side, or up or down, but the dot would still look centered on the glass to you, thats why iron sights allways consists of two sepperape sights you must align.

Red-Dot sights work because they do not just draw a dot in the center of the scope, the dot allmost behaves like a laserpointer, only the dot can only be seen inside the scope, it will allways aim where it was intended to aim, so if you look through it at an angle, the dot wont be in the center, but pointing at where you are going to hit (and you wont even see the dot in there if your aim is too off center).

Scoes work like that also, you can only see though a scope if you are looking directly thought it, look though it at an angle and it will turn black, so you know that if you can see though the scope, your eye is propperly aligned with it.

Old fashioned Reflex sights and modern holographic sights do it too, the reticle is not drawn in the center of the sight, but at where you are aiming, and its up to you to align your eye propperly with the sight so you can see the reticle.

A dot painted on a pane of glass wont do that, and thus it cannot be used for aiming, the dot will allways be in the center of the glass and not where you are actually aiming.
Using Red-dots was BS because they didn't exist back then, but this is doubly BS because not only did it not exist, it's also not possible to use it as a sight in real life.
Yah well probably not painted, sure it was something professional i just wanted to show difference between some hyper-modern red dot sight.

Upvote 0
Yah well probably not painted, sure it was something professional i just wanted to show difference between some hyper-modern red dot sight.

I am not following you there.. got a link to where they said this? that should clear things up i'd hope.

Anyway, like i said earlier the technology did actually exist in the form of the Reflex Quadrant sights used in aircraft, and i think for the MG's in some tanks aswell, but the sights where quite large.

Probably the smallest of them was the German REVI gunsight, as used in fighters like the BF-109 and FW-190, here's a pic of a bloke holding one:
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/feature/photoreports/hallinportti2002/dsc01222.jpg

Not something that would comfortably fit on a rifle then.. and it certainly does not look at all like the small modern looking ones we see in thouse trailers, hell, they have only been able to make the tech that small in the last decade or so, its a brand new thing really, before then they where the size of the ACOG, SUSAT, ELCAN, PK-A and so on (just google thouse if you dont know them).

Upvote 0
Without re-reading the entire post, are they having a "hardcore" mode as in COD4? I haven't played any COD4, but from what it sounds like, that would be the only way I would play it, and certainly they only way I might even think about this one...

Considering that CoD5 is a carbon copy of CoD4, probably yes. But even the hardcore mode (in CoD4) was quite... full of bull****, imo. Bunnyhopping, people turning around and shooting you even though you got the drop on them, etc... I became bored with it after about 5 - 6 months. The perks and the weapon attachment choices are pretty good though.

If you're thinking of choosing between CoD4 or CoD5, I would recommend CoD4 because it's at least somewhat different from the other CoD's (including CoD5), unless you don't like a modern setting.

Upvote 0
Oh no, I just don't have any real interest in modern warefare. I was just looking for some saving grace for COD5. COD4 might be a decent game at times, but not for me.

If I were to do a modern warefare, it would be America's Army. It's just that one death/then dead till end of game thing that gets me on that one...when you're not very good at it, it can get boring waiting for the next round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's been a while since I posted on here, but I read the forums all the time. I just got the WAW multiplayer beta for the xbox360. It's currently downloading along with the BiA HH demo. Once I found out there was something like a red dot sight on WW2 guns I coulnd't stop laughing it's redicoulus. I'll find out soon what its like. I'm a fan of COD4 because I find it quite fun. So I'm hoping it's fun as well and hope it has a hardcore mode.

Upvote 0
It's Call of Duty 4 in a WWII setting. It's all it is.

Completely agree. It kills the game because of it and takes away any authentic feel. The only way it could redeem itself is if they make a realism mode like hardcore and allies and axis sides have the appropriate weapons. Also not allow the stupid weapon add ons that didn't exist.

Upvote 0
It's Call of Duty 4 in a WWII setting. It's all it is.

I think we all saw that comming miles away, CoD4 was a hit, so it was no suprice that CoD5 would try to emulate it.

But i must admit that i did not forsee just how far they would be willing to go to crowbar in CoD4's features, even though they clearly cannot be defended as beeing part of a WW2 setting, i thought they would be a wee bit smarter about it than this..

Upvote 0
I was hoping for some big maps with the vehicles now, but it looks like they are content with the tiny maps that have tanks in them.
There are much larger maps that are not in the beta. There are just a few maps in the beta to give a taste of the game.

I think we all saw that comming miles away, CoD4 was a hit, so it was no suprice that CoD5 would try to emulate it.

But i must admit that i did not forsee just how far they would be willing to go to crowbar in CoD4's features, even though they clearly cannot be defended as beeing part of a WW2 setting, i thought they would be a wee bit smarter about it than this..
I see nothing wrong with CoD4 gameplay in a WWII setting. The CoD series has never been realistic, so why should anyone start complaining now if something is "out of place."

Upvote 0
I see nothing wrong with CoD4 gameplay in a WWII setting. The CoD series has never been realistic, so why should anyone start complaining now if something is "out of place."

No CoD has never been really realistic, but it used to be stuff like grenades killing tanks and dolphin diving that detracted from the realistic feeling, IE stuff that was not out of place as such but was implimented in an unrealistic way, this however is just taking it from "unrealistic" to "downright silly".

Upvote 0
No CoD has never been really realistic, but it used to be stuff like grenades killing tanks and dolphin diving that detracted from the realistic feeling, IE stuff that was not out of place as such but was implimented in an unrealistic way, this however is just taking it from "unrealistic" to "downright silly".

QFT.

EDIT: if people get it and report it as being fun anyway then I'll quite likely pick it up once the price has dropped a bit, but I no longer regard it as a WW2 FPS, it could just as well be set in the halo universe :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0