• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Call of Duty 5

I've been saying this **** since Call of Duty 1 lol
The very first Call of Duty was a fantastic and ground breaking game... your argument would have been mute back then -- hence the probable reason no one listened to you.

The last major WWII shooter prior to Call of Duty's arrival was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, which was an instant classic. Call of Duty came out of nowhere and blew it away with fantastic visuals and amazing scripted sequences ... it was new back then, and it was fresh.

These days, it's no longer new already on our fifth Call of Duty. This is what happens when game developers start catering only to the casual gamer, and dare I say it, CONSOLES.

Upvote 0
They told us CoD1 wasn't going to be scripted though, that all those great moments would be procedural and dynamic. Instead I got MOH:AA without any of the secret agent malarky (that is, until I got to the British campaign :rolleyes:). They told us it would be as authentic and gritty as possible, but instead you had to shoot people four or five times to kill them

And "people listened," just not the people who actually made the game. I was a member of one of the largest fan forums going for Call of Duty, callofduty.net (which is now just a redirect to the official website) and when the first playable demo came out featuring the second American mission, a lot of us were instantly disillusioned.

That's why when I want to get my fill of ww2, I turn games like Red Orchestra, hence my presence on these forums.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't think you CAN destroy the tank with the Thompson, but who knows. At least he didn't prove it by destroying the tank.

Looks to me like he did, the tank looks like its allready quite damaged when it shows up, he tosses a greande at it (also lol), but it looks like he misses and the tank drives past where the grenade explodes, then he shoots it with the Thompson and it starts to burn and the jerries abandon it..

It didn't blow up RO style, but there's no saying CoD5 has that effect upon tank death, so i'd say that looks like a kill to me, or at the very least, he did some kind of serious damage to it with the Thompson.

The very first Call of Duty was a fantastic and ground breaking game... your argument would have been mute back then -- hence the probable reason no one listened to you.

The last major WWII shooter prior to Call of Duty's arrival was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, which was an instant classic. Call of Duty came out of nowhere and blew it away with fantastic visuals and amazing scripted sequences ... it was new back then, and it was fresh.

We must have played very different kind of games back then you and i, because i didn't find CoD all that special or ground breaking, coming from stuff like the Infiltration and RO mod, and OFP, its realism was not impressive, and the reliance on scripted and cinematic style gameplay was nothing new either, it had allready been a trend in games for a while by then.

I found the SP quite good the first time i played it, but the second time, i could not get myself to play it, because it quickly dawned on me that it would be the exact same experiance, and the vehical sections and such would just feel dull the second time around.. i have never replayed it.

The MP i was not a fan of, because i felt i had allready experianced something much more intense, gritty and real before, it was not bad, i was just used to something i felt was much better.
I did play it a bit with freinds over LAN because it was in popular demand, but it never really grew on me.

I haven't bought a CoD since, i want more realism from a war game (personal prefrence ofcourse), and i do not enjoy their "play once and then forget about it" style of SP play, infact i hate that in all SP games, i want some replay value from them..

Upvote 0
Don't forget United Offensive that has to be the best COD available even today. Online you could play on pretty good sized maps with vehicles that worked out well. Plenty of custom mods / maps made the game very good in my opinion. If you liked infantry only like I did at times there were always plenty of good realism S&D servers out there like Lost Patrol that were great.
RO is still the best so far though when trying to simulate WW2 combat in my opinion though it just plays well.

Upvote 0
We must have played very different kind of games back then you and i, because i didn't find CoD all that special or ground breaking, coming from stuff like the Infiltration and RO mod, and OFP, its realism was not impressive, and the reliance on scripted and cinematic style gameplay was nothing new either, it had allready been a trend in games for a while by then.
Well I should say that MOH:AA was my first WWII game ever... well aside from the old WWII flight simulator made for Windows DOS called "Aces of the Pacific". I played Unreal Tournament as well as Starcraft before I even owned a computer, but I knew nothing about mods or anything like that. I didn't even find out about Infiltration until a couple years ago... even way after I had been playing RO. The main reason was because I had a dial up internet connection for many years... mods were out of my reach.

So yeah, I guess we have much different back grounds. For someone who loved MOH:AA (because it was his first and only WWII game for a while), I compared every game after to it. Call of Duty was the next "big thing" in the mainstream, and when I played it the first time it blew my naive mind.

Upvote 0
Wasn't there a friendly tank coming in front of the enemy tank? The grenade really does seem to give alot of damage as in another scene you can easily see the enemy tank being blown up by single nade.

I expected CoD5 to be arcadey sequel to the series and that's why I wasn't interested in it at all, but this is just ridiculous.

Now the kiddies who play this game might actually think that silenced weapons and ACOG's existed in WW2, lol.

http://media.pegasusnews.com/img/categories/HelenLovejoy_t630.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, that's it for me... Though I'm a huge fan of CoD series, this is just taking the game to wrong direction. Why on earth they let Treaych make the game and as a result they ruin it?

Seriously, they are always promising realism and this is what we get? World War 2 weapons with silencers? Bull**** :mad:... Lets see what Call of Duty 6 will give us then and from what I've heard it's Infinity Ward who's responsible for CoD 6, which even sounds better because the games they have made have been the most successful.

Not to rain on your parade but there WERE silencers in WW2, there even was one for the K98k iirc. But the way this is implemented here is just plain stupid i agree.

Upvote 0
Well I should say that MOH:AA was my first WWII game ever... well aside from the old WWII flight simulator made for Windows DOS called "Aces of the Pacific". I played Unreal Tournament as well as Starcraft before I even owned a computer, but I knew nothing about mods or anything like that. I didn't even find out about Infiltration until a couple years ago... even way after I had been playing RO. The main reason was because I had a dial up internet connection for many years... mods were out of my reach.

So yeah, I guess we have much different back grounds. For someone who loved MOH:AA (because it was his first and only WWII game for a while), I compared every game after to it. Call of Duty was the next "big thing" in the mainstream, and when I played it the first time it blew my naive mind.

Aye, that'd do it, and i can understand why people who came straight from more mainstream titles would find CoD impressive, i had frinds who did, they never got into Ofp because of the graphics or played mods like INF and RO, so CoD was the first time they really sat down and played a game with realism features like that, and yeah, it blew them away, it was something very different to what they had been playing before.

Infact i did have some hope that the series would mature, that they just started out light to test the market, and the sequals would amp it up, but obviously that did not come to pass.. but atleast it has acted as a "gateway drug" for alot of people, and got them into more realistic games, so it has not been a total loss, it paved the way for my freinds getting into RO for isntance :D

But anyway, now that you have played stuff like the Inf mod, then you probably also see where guys like me are coming from, i was playing that years before CoD, and even by todays standards that mod is really impressive in all but the graphics, and that was followed by Ofp, Vietcong and RO (and i wont even get into all the flightsims, since thouse are a rather different genre), so you can probably guess that CoD just didn't have anywhere near the impact on me, i had been there and i had done it, and with more realism and grit to boot ;)

Not to rain on your parade but there WERE silencers in WW2, there even was one for the K98k iirc. But the way this is implemented here is just plain stupid i agree.

Silencers, yes, the brits also had a version of the Gordon SMG and SMLE with an integral silencer, but thease weapons would ofcourse only be used by special forces on special missions, and rarely at that.

Red-Dot sights are an entirely different matter though, the clousest you come to this technology at that time where the reflex quardrant sights mounted in fighter planes, and they where hulking giants compared to modern red-dots, and even work on an entirely different premise (they didn't have lasers back then), so their inclusion is beyond silly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I loved MOH:AA when it came out, it was the first fps game I played mp, I very quickly (after a week or 2) found Day of Defeat, a vastly superior mp experience I'm sure you'll agree.
I played through CoD once, it was quite enjoyable - I'd argue it was nothing spectacular though. Whilst some of the scripted events were cool, it was a very familiar hollywood WW2 experience. Everyone railed about it's realism and innovation. I was playing RO at the time, so that was a little annoying.

CoD2, and CoD3 were both "ok". But did nothing more than milk from the same cow. One I was quite sick of by now. CoD4 just took the franchise further and further away from it's roots. CoD5 seems to be doing the exact same thing.

Why would anyone want CoD4, in WW2?
Why would you bother even making the game, if not to milk that same cow just a little more, and get the people who skipped out on CoD4 because it wasn't WW2.
But then again why would you portray WW2 so poorly if you were trying to attract that crowd?

I'm sure it'll sell plenty and get "generally positive reviews" from all the usual places. Same as always when yet another sequel to a popular franchise comes along. How sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course it will sell good the same idiots who think COD4 is groundbreaking somehow will just eat this one up as well.
I am going to wait at least 2-3 months to see if any good realism servers, mods, or good maps are released before even thinking about touching this one. RO at $20 is still better than this rubbish.

Upvote 0
Of course it will sell good the same idiots who think COD4 is groundbreaking somehow will just eat this one up as well.
I am going to wait at least 2-3 months to see if any good realism servers, mods, or good maps are released before even thinking about touching this one. RO at $20 is still better than this rubbish.
Yeah stupid 10 million players who bought CoD4 >_>

Upvote 0
Well, I don't think you CAN destroy the tank with the Thompson, but who knows. At least he didn't prove it by destroying the tank.

The round seemed to end which might make you think he destroyed the tank!

But never-the-less, the tank is still taking damage from the tommy because you hear that stupid sound which confirms you are hitting & damaging the target!

Upvote 0