• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour 2.0 has been released....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent work on the update. I played nearly all of yesterday and had zero crashes. Cagny has become a phenomenal and fun map, well done there. The new maps are quite awesome. I think everybody loves the night map that turns to day. That was quite unexpected I think. The new vehicles are quite cool but will have to wait till i try the jagdpanther later today.

Upvote 0
Alright, noob question:

Do we have to uninstall the current DH version we have, and then install the new .exe (as if it was a full installer, containing all we need to play), or is the new .exe file effectively a patch to be installed on top of the previous DH already installed?

You only need this version remove the old stuff before the installation.

Did the performance improve?

Upvote 0
Don't worry, all that file is is a rarred version of the client files. It contains no dataripped files, nor server bat files/ inis.

I figured as much, however the client files won't install on my server because it doesn't find Steam installed. Even though the installer says it will install anyway, the "Next" key is grayed out and there is no way to continue installation.

Upvote 0
as far as optimisation goes, most of the community maps are quite well optimised and don't give problems to anyone.
i also make sure that all my DH maps are optimised so that anybody can play them, and some other problematic maps have been improved. but others haven't, and the two new US para maps in this update suffer aswell from bad fps in some places of the map. but hopefully the mapper will be able to help that problem, otherwise those maps might again disappear from the map votes
but i think you should give DH a go now if you stopped because of the bad fps before, most of the bad fps maps are simply almost not being played anymore. so it seems the bad fps in the beginning of DH was more due to map design, rather then due to a problem with the game itself
and there are now plenty of verry well optimised and well designed maps to choose from, many of them are actually better than any of the custom maps i ever played in RO (mayne not better than zhitomir :p though )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very nice release.
Some glitches here and there (mostly with the chutes) but the new content is great.
I prefer your La Fiere manor map to R&L's :p . However, it has indeed imho some performance issues: my fps drop dramatically whenever I'm viewing the manor itself... Also, the bridge cap really takes aaaages, even at full cap... The dawn is ace, though. Last point, shouldn't that be R35s leading the german couter attack efforts ? :p
I'm finding that Hurtgenwald taxes my computer more than in the previous versions too, especially in the wooded slope after the pak bunker. The map design is better though (and it was already great).
Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
Operation Stoesser sounds rather interesting. It's a shame that RO has kinda died out. When I look for servers I usually just find 1 or 2 filled servers and maybe 1 or 2 almost empty of semi filled ones.

Thats almost comical. Does your server filter look like this :)

- No Bots
- Ping < 15
- No maps that start with K
- No vehicles
- Region - Zimbabwe
- Players > 64

There are more DH servers than that let alone RO servers. Right now there are 4 full DH servers, half a dozen semi full DH servers, 20+ full RO servers, and 30+ semi full RO servers with a total of about 100 live human players playing the game.

Upvote 0
Nah, I just have no bots and no empty servers filtered and that's what I usually get. And most of the time the map is Hurtgenwald which I've played way too much for it to be fun.

Edit: At the time of posting, I can find 3 decent Euro servers, 2 almost empty ones and some almost empty US ones. It's 10 PM CET which should be prime time for playing and yet there are only around 150 people online. I think it's safe to say that RO and DH have passed their prime time. Nothing comical about it ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(mayne not better than zhitomir :p though )

Zhitomir make use of a secret Dutch optimizing technique. Its developed by me and another
guy. Its level of secrecy was so high I had to kill the guy who helped me. So I gave him
poisoned Dutch cheese.

Seen a DH La Gleize movie on youtube and I like the gritty look of the map.
Haven't played RO for while now.

I think it's safe to say that RO and DH have passed their prime time. Nothing comical about it ;)

Thats the problem with mods. By the time your done the game is gone. Sad but true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's safe to say that RO and DH have passed their prime time. Nothing comical about it ;)

Would be true if there was a successor/alternative to RO, which there isn't.

I don't get all these "RO is dead" comments. According to www.gamespy.com/stats there are 729 players actively on RO (probably includes mods) and it's at #13. This is at Midnight PST on a Thursday... hardly primetime.

Upvote 0
Thats almost comical. Does your server filter look like this :)

- No Bots
- Ping < 15
- No maps that start with K
- No vehicles
- Region - Zimbabwe
- Players > 64

There are more DH servers than that let alone RO servers. Right now there are 4 full DH servers, half a dozen semi full DH servers, 20+ full RO servers, and 30+ semi full RO servers with a total of about 100 live human players playing the game.

I have usually got only 1 DH server full and maybe 3-4 RO servers full, in autsralia that is. Unfortunately they are all OS servers with pings around 240+

Anyway my real question is, is there a different set of server filters for a vanilla RO install for different countries/regions. So if im in USA I get one set of servers, EU gets another, asia gets another with some cross over. Or do we all get all public servers. And what is the Master server that lists them all? And are all servers automatically listed on it for all to see or is there a private setting?

Cause I hear pple refering to various servers from time to time, but I cant find them in the ingame list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
since the release of DH i haven't been able to play RO a single time, i usually "allow" myself to play DH for 2 weeks after i release a new map so i can test and improve it, and then it's back to my dungeon working till i get a new map done.
anyway it's not going so bad i believe, we had about 6000 dowloads in 2 days last week right after releasing the update. i suppose those are mainly regular players that follow the mod's development closely. each day on the servers i see new players who are playing for the first time. i think that now less than a week after release we are somewhere around 10.000 downloads

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.