• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design No spawn menu? No spawning..

LyublyuRussiu

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 1, 2008
I'm completely new to Unreal Editor. I've read the manual, and I've watched tutorials. I'm working on a tank map to train myself in using the PTRD. This is how I go about adding the spawns in the map, after the tanks and so on. Yet, when I test my map, I am presented as a spectator, and hitting 'esc' does nothing but bring me to a slim menu, not the spawning menu.

I place two ROSpawnAreas. I name one Soviet, I name one German. I set the Allies and Axis true to their respectively properties. I place two basic units, the anti-tank soldier for the Soviets. I set 'event' for both of these to match their spawn. Then, I'm done. It doesn't work. These are the only 'Actors' beside the vehicles that I put in the map. Must I put another actor I'm unaware of to set the map's objective? I don't even know why I need to do that, as I won't have any objectives.

Also, as a side question, why don't ammo pick up actors spawn when I right click and place them on the map? I'm trying to make a PTRD ammo pick up, yet it does nothing. Nothing appears. It's like the actor is obsolete - removed - never there.

Thanks in advance,
LR

Did you add playerstarts? Right click and place the player start somewhere over the ground and make sure the event name matches with the ones from the ROspawnarea actor.

And rebuild ;)

The weapon pick up only works for the Panzerfaust properly and sometimes actors show up in a random location (you have to find them with the actor search tool) no idea why but probably the best idea would be to add an PTRD class.

Upvote 0
Like Kettch says the tags need to match on the spawn areas and the player starts.

Also as an aside; if you only want tankers on a map, spawns get f**ked up if you dont place 2 spawnarea actors per side, one has to be a tank spawn and one not. Even if you only have tanker roles on the map you still need the other non tank spawnactor. This had me stumped for ages once until I found out how to fix it by accident. :p

Upvote 0
I've managed to figure out the problem upon a forum search, which I admit should have been done before making this thread. The fix is kind of difficult for new players to find out. You MUST place a "ROLevelInfo" in your map and your name has to be titled "RO-mapname" for the game to even pick up on the spawn menu and begin play.

Still, my second question remains. You said it only works for the Panzerfaust? I've seen boxes on Arad (near houses, the bridge, in spawns) that give every ammo. You can get PTRD ammo, Panzerfaust ammo, even ammo for rifles and smg. Is this still a Panzerfaust spawn?

Thanks for the reponses. I expected the forums to be dead.
- LR

Upvote 0