• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finland school gunman kills nine

IMO and based on what I read from people here who think they need a gun to protect themselves ( and I can not judge if that is true or not) "the right to bear arms" has destroyed any change on a peaceful society with respect for life.

Everybody is born innocent, criminals are not born criminal so up to a point, in your society, everybody has a right to have a gun.
but when somebody freaks out because he is bullyed in school, or turns criminal because of what other circumstance drives him to it, this law abyding citizen is suddenly a criminal. with his legal gun now suddenly illegal

Guns are not the answer, but I am sure that it is way to late for some country's to change their laws and turn this downward spiral of killing before you get killed around :(, I truely feel very sorry for the people there

I am glad I was born here and live where I live without having to fear my neighbour.

From what I see in the news it might not be too late for Finland, let's hope their gouverment has the balls to do what needs to be done

Upvote 0
I don't know why you're listing all of these hypothetical situations, Murphy.:p:D You give me the impression that you care about the lives of criminals. :)

If I want to take money from you but I knew you have a weapon and you could not only prevent me from getting your money but also take my live, isn't it my best bet to kill you before you can kill me and take your money afterwards
?

That's the beauty of it, a criminal doesn't know whether the owner of the house he's breaking in is armed or not. He damn well knows the risk, though.

Where are you going to draw the line? When is shooting at me self-defense and when is it the killing of an innocent?

Depends on the situation, the state you live in, etc. If you live in a state without Castle Doctrine, you can keep repeating over and over that you did in fact shoot out of self defense and that your life was at stake, but you'll be screwed.

I highly doubt that banning guns would stop criminals shooting innocents. You're putting a bit too much trust in them. :D

You say you want to prepare yourself for that rarest of cases that someone is actually breaking in your house in order to harm you or your family. You must be a very careful guy, because me I wouldn't want to have a gun just for that because the likelyhood that something like that happens to me once in a life-time is too small.
A very careful guy though cannot afford to NOT shoot in any of the scenarios above because each of them can result in your death (and lets not forget about the subsequent rape of your wife).

Well, most of my posts in this thread are with America in mind. Like I said, I don't need a weapon here in Europe.

Murphy, let me ask you a question. Imagine you emigrate to America. You've lived there for a few years, and you're happy there. You have a good job, etc, live in a nice house. Would you buy yourself a firearm for home defense? And what would you do if you'd wake up at 02:00 after hearing noises and voices downstairs? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've already said I don't live in fear of my neighbor. Nor should they live in fear of me, but the sad fact is people commit crimes. It doesn't matter where you are, or what is banned and what is legal. Crime is going to happen. Guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens are a deterrent to crime. Perhaps even more than the police. Because a criminal knows when the cops aren't around, but he doesn't know who owns a firearm.

If you ban firearms in areas with higher crime rates. Those areas will (and have) experience an increase in crime. At that point the guy who is about to break into a house knows he only has to worry about the police, and they aren't going to be around when he breaks in.

Banning guns can lower or even prevent gun crime, but it will just as easily increase other types of crimes.

Here's an example.

Let's say your in desperate need of money and thinking about mugging someone. Now I know none of you here are going to do that. It's just a hypothetical. You see an old woman walking down the street. No cops are around, no witnesses.

Now in a country where there is a gun ban you know she doesn't have a gun, so you are at an advantage. You could easily over power her, and if you need to, beat her in order to take her money.

If you live in a country with legal guns you may decide that mugging her isn't worth it because she could have a pistol. So you simply turn around and walk away. Never turning to crime in the first place. Lets say your crazy enough to try it and it turns out she does have one. Are you still going to try to mug her or are you going to run? I know what I would do.

Now to those who might say "I was desperate for money, I didn't deserve to have a gun drawn on me" What about the old lady? Did she deserve to be beaten and have her money taken because you were desperate for money?

This was an example, but it happens in real life all the time, everywhere.

Again taking away guns only lowers gun crime rates. In most cases overall criminal activity either stays the same or increases.

The statistics and facts say that an armed citizen (at least in the United States) is beneficial to the overall well being of the country. So why ban something that overall is better to have around than not? Because guns are scary?

I have to go now. It's been fun. Everyone here has remained quite civil. Which is rare in a debate such as this. I may check back later but it'll be a while. Don't anyone get this thread locked while I'm away! :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know why you're listing all of these hypothetical situations, Murphy.:p:D You give me the impression that you care about the lives of criminals. :)
Haha, I do. I just don't think every crime should earn someone the death-penalty.

If it's me vs him, sure. I don't even know him. Waste him for all I care as long as I get away. But I would hate everyone of those thousand cases where someone just wants my money into me vs him cases.

I highly doubt that banning guns would stop criminals shooting innocents. You're putting a bit too much trust in them. :D
And you seem to see them as people who are criminals for the heck of it not caring for anything. As if they were all screaming freaks wearing hockeymasks and carrying chainsaws.

Murphy, let me ask you a question. Imagine you emigrate to America. You've lived there for a few years, and you're happy there. You have a good job, etc, live in a nice house. Would you buy yourself a firearm for home defense?
I would probably excercise my right to own a fire-arm for fun and I would get a bolt-action rifle but not with self-defense in mind. I am for gun-control and I am against everyone having the right to own firearms but I'm not against it enough not to get one. The political choice not to get firearms has to be made by the law. On a personal level that choice isn't worth anything because as you said, the criminals don't know who has a piece and who has not. So yeah, I'd probably buy a rifle and have some fun with it.
And what would you do if you'd wake up at 02:00 after hearing noises and voices downstairs? :)
I would call the police and sit still. I wouldn't play John Wayne and try heroics.
Easy answer so I'll go further:
If criminals confronted me I would be strict enough to show them they can't do everything with me but polite enough to show them I surrendered. I would give them what they want to have as long as it is about stuff and money or about breaking my pride. If they want something I am not willing to give them I will try and buy myself out of it. Should they attempt to seriously harm me or my wife I would turn into a raging bull though, as much as possible anyways. I have never been in such a situation so I don't know how brave I would be.
If I had a gun they would have taken it away from me at this point so I would be unarmed either way. I would have had to use it sooner but that's something I don't want to do.

If I were a woman I would buy pepperspray and maybe a tazer. Depends on the area of course. Not for home defense obviously but to feel safer in the streets at night. Depending on the area it might be in order to learn some martial art tricks too. I would learn some tricks and aquire pepperspray in Germany too. The spray hurts like a b!tch but it does little long-term damage and it's pretty effective so I don't think it's a bad idea to have a can.

Unfortunately this discussion isn't going to lead anywhere. I posted some arguments that in my eyes are absolute deal breakers but somehow they are just ignored and I am sure the same thing happened to you when you were talking to me. I apologize for that. I haven't done it intentionally just as you haven't. It's just the nature of political and religious topics.
I have to say, despite what I just said, I enjoyed the discussion so far because it was lead in a civilized manner and we mostly stuck to valid arguments but I won't be coming back for more until the subject changes from gun-control to something else. I will of course read your response and think about it though.

Upvote 0
Grobut, I have to say I'm much closer to fully agreeing with you than I was after your first posts, I guess.

Look, whenever I said something about limiting/banning guns it was, as I've already mentioned, a short-hand for severely limiting their availability. Perhaps different countries need different levels of restrictiveness, but here in the European Union I think it should be pretty much the same everywhere, since we're in the Schengen zone now and as it's been pointed out earlier, limited area gun-free zones simply don't work.

The problem in this case is that Finland has extremely lax gun laws, too lax for my tastes, i'm not a gun-phobic, but neither do i want just anyone having access to them.
Couple that with the woefully inadequate handeling of mental health care that is prelevalent just about anywhere, and you have a situation where a disaster like this can happen (though to be fair, it can also happen here in Denmark despite our much stricter laws, there is a black market).

But if you look at Europe as a whole, where most countries do require licenses and training, we dont really have a big problem here, legally owned firearms are very rarely used in crimes, and when they are, its more along the lines of a jaleous husband shooting the wife for sleeping around, and honestly, the gun was not the deciding factor in such a homicide, there's many other ways it could be done without a firearm, and indeed it often is, but it only makes the news if a gun was used.

Usually what we see are illegal firearms involved in crimes, most notably amongst rival gangs or other criminal orginizations, or for stuff like bank robberies, though you will at times also see someone shot by an illegal firearm at a bar fight or so, but the vast vast majority of gun crimes comitted in Europe are done by allready banned, or illegally owned firearms, and even thease are few and far between.

Its a tempest in a teapot, we dont have a huge problem, guns are not readilly avalible, and when something actually does happen, its a safe bet it was an illegal weapon that was involved.

Hell we have a gang war going on in Denmark right now, between the Hells Angels and Immigrant gangs over the drug market, guns are beeing used, yes, but what guns are they? stuff like AK's and even RPG's, weapons that have never ever been legal in this country and should never have been here, at no time has there been a legal import of thease items, so, honestly, what amount of legislation would have stopped that? none, better security at our harbours might have stopped the illegal weapons getting here, in other words, better enforcement of the law, but its allready extremely illegal.

And with regards to spree killers and the like, yeah you can prevent them from legally owning a firearm, but as we've seen, you can't prevent them from obtaining one ilegally, if some dumbass who wants to hold up a postal office can get one, so can Psycho Dude, so the logical thing to do is attack his desire to commit the crime, tratment, remove his desire to kill and you've won, it makes an awfull lot of sense really.

Also, if you want to shoot a paper target, doing so with a real gun sounds like overkill. Sure, it must be fun, but you could just as well use an airgun or an airsoft gun. It's still fun, I know I tried (haven't tried real guns, so perhaps it's not for me to say).

Well to be frank, you can also race around a track on a Go-Cart, and thats fun, but its a little funner doing it in a V12 Ferrari, though owning a beast of a car like that is a risk.

Hopefully you see where im going with that, there's a difference between shooting an airrifle at targets 20 meters away (they are just not long distance weapons) and shooting a rifle at targets 150 meters away, there's a whole different level of skill and thrill involved.

I've tried it, i know a few people who are licensed and members at a range, and i've owned (and still do) both Airsoft and airrifles myself, its not the same thing.

Anyway, as i said the goal should be preventing that guns fall in the wrong hands, it should not be to create some Nanny society where things that have an inherent risk are banned, that'd be horrible.
And really, people who are fearfull of a licensed owner who shoots at a range just because he owns a firearm are just plain ignorant, gun-phobic really, personally i'm much more worried about drunken retards who walk around with knifes, take way too many 'roids and meth and enjoy saying the phrases "You think youre tough huh?" and "What are you staring at!?", thouse are the people you need to stay clear of...

And I agree with you as well on the additional money you could keep in your pocket or spend on making the healthcare system this one bit better. Deffo people need the money more than your pocket does.

We probably agree on quite a lot, infact if we sat down face to face and had us some cold EB's i think we could have an excellent talk about it all, but its a bit trickier over the net.

I think where we disagree is in the amounts, how much is too much and how little is too little and such ;)

Upvote 0
And you seem to see them as people who are criminals for the heck of it not caring for anything. As if they were all screaming freaks wearing hockeymasks and carrying chainsaws.

Well, if someone chooses to become a criminal, he should know that there are many risks tied to it. One of those risks is getting shot by the homeowner. By breaking into his house, he is clearly willing to take that risk.

Furthermore, I don't think most gun owners would want to have to kill anyone, let alone draw their concealed handgun. Many crimes are prevented by merely showing the weapon by the way, which is good.

If I would be in a home defense scenario, I wouldn't be all like "hurr I'm going to shoot me a bad guy" either. If possible I would yell at him to drop his weapon and keep him at gunpoint until the police arrive. But would I pull the trigger if he charged me? No doubt. An ever safer option would be to sit behind the bed, shotgun aimed at the door. But the chance of your stuff getting stolen would be much higher. It depends on the situation I guess.

I would call the police and sit still. I wouldn't play John Wayne and try heroics.
Easy answer so I'll go further:
If criminals confronted me I would be strict enough to show them they can't do everything with me but polite enough to show them I surrendered. I would give them what they want to have as long as it is about stuff and money or about breaking my pride. If they want something I am not willing to give them I will try and buy myself out of it. Should they attempt to seriously harm me or my wife I would turn into a raging bull though, as much as possible anyways. I have never been in such a situation so I don't know how brave I would be.
If I had a gun they would have taken it away from me at this point so I would be unarmed either way. I would have had to use it sooner but that's something I don't want to do..

That's the thing, there is a very small chance that police would be there in time. And surrendering and being at the mercy of the criminal sounds like a good way to get killed. Some criminals might comply and not hurt you, but you can't bet your life on that. Sure, the police WILL eventually come... to take a picture of your dead body if it turned out the bad guy indeed couldn't be trusted.

Unfortunately this discussion isn't going to lead anywhere. I posted some arguments that in my eyes are absolute deal breakers but somehow they are just ignored and I am sure the same thing happened to you when you were talking to me. I apologize for that. I haven't done it intentionally just as you haven't. It's just the nature of political and religious topics.
I have to say, despite what I just said, I enjoyed the discussion so far because it was lead in a civilized manner and we mostly stuck to valid arguments but I won't be coming back for more until the subject changes from gun-control to something else. I will of course read your response and think about it though.

I don't have the time to reply to all of the posts, but you raise good points, and the discussion has indeed stayed surprisingly civilized. :eek::D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO and based on what I read from people here who think they need a gun to protect themselves ( and I can not judge if that is true or not) "the right to bear arms" has destroyed any change on a peaceful society with respect for life.

Everybody is born innocent, criminals are not born criminal so up to a point, in your society, everybody has a right to have a gun.
but when somebody freaks out because he is bullyed in school, or turns criminal because of what other circumstance drives him to it, this law abyding citizen is suddenly a criminal. with his legal gun now suddenly illegal

Guns are not the answer, but I am sure that it is way to late for some country's to change their laws and turn this downward spiral of killing before you get killed around :(, I truely feel very sorry for the people there

I am glad I was born here and live where I live without having to fear my neighbour.

From what I see in the news it might not be too late for Finland, let's hope their gouverment has the balls to do what needs to be done

I disagree on people being born innocent and society/life makes them bad. Some people are bad seeds, like my cousin who committed a triple murder over a cocaine deal. He was always a pos since he was a little kid.

I mean, just for the sake of comparison... do you think people become gay, or are born gay?

Upvote 0
I disagree on people being born innocent and society/life makes them bad. Some people are bad seeds, like my cousin who committed a triple murder over a cocaine deal. He was always a pos since he was a little kid.

I mean, just for the sake of comparison... do you think people become gay, or are born gay?
Great comparism lol being gay and being a criminal.

Upvote 0

I am referring to nature vs. nurture.

Most nuts are born nuts.

Nature versus nurture? the real answer is that both are true, some illnesses are congenital, others are the result of physical or psychological trauma sustained durring life (childhood is your most vulnerable state, it is often here the damage is done, but certainly not allways), others can be inherited, but lie dormant, people with thease may never get sick, but living through something very traumatic can trigger the illness, it can happen both in child and adulthood.

The real world is seldomly black and white.

Upvote 0
So if you live in a country where firearms are widely available avoid going to school :eek:
I wouldn't say that, I don't think there's ever been a school shooting in Australia, and we have a high level of firearms ownership, maybe the difference is that it is coupled with stringent restrictions on use and storage of firearms. So it's harder for minors to get their hands on a firearm because everyone who has them is required to keep them locked in strongboxes separate from ammunition etc.

In fact I'd say my country proves that a high level of firearms ownership does not necessarily equate to higher rates of gun crime. A few posts back I made mention that gun crime has only gone up since all the bans on certain weapons came in and while that is true you have to understand that by up I mean it's gone from rare to slightly less rare. The majority of violent crime here is not committed with a firearm only a tiny percentage is and of that tiny percentage it is almost all gang ralted, as in one gang shooting up another etc. Quite similar to what some of the europeans have been describing in their posts. The most common weapon used to commit crime here is a knife or bladed weapon of some sort. That said overall this is a very safe country to live in, I don't live in fear of anyone else, hey I walked across melbourne at 2am last night with out any trouble or fear.

That's why I can't agree with people like Switchblade when he asserts that firearms cause a downward spiral of violence in society because that just is not the case, they are the tools used sometimes not the cause. Governments need to have the balls to take harder look at the deeper issues behind all this and stop putting bandaids on a deep wound.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say that, I don't think there's ever been a school shooting in Australia, and we have a high level of firearms ownership, maybe the difference is that it is coupled with stringent restrictions on use and storage of firearms. So it's harder for minors to get their hands on a firearm because everyone who has them is required to keep them locked in strongboxes separate from ammunition etc.

In fact I'd say my country proves that a high level of firearms ownership does not necessarily equate to higher rates of gun crime. A few posts back I made mention that gun crime has only gone up since all the bans on certain weapons came in and while that is true you have to understand that by up I mean it's gone from rare to slightly less rare. The majority of violent crime here is not committed with a firearm only a tiny percentage is and of that tiny percentage it is almost all gang ralted, as in one gang shooting up another etc. Quite similar to what some of the europeans have been describing in their posts. The most common weapon used to commit crime here is a knife or bladed weapon of some sort. That said overall this is a very safe country to live in, I don't live in fear of anyone else, hey I walked across melbourne at 2am last night with out any trouble or fear.

That's why I can't agree with people like Switchblade when he asserts that firearms cause a downward spiral of violence in society because that just is not the case, they are the tools used sometimes not the cause. Governments need to have the balls to take harder look at the deeper issues behind all this and stop putting bandaids on a deep wound.

QFT, treat the illness not the symptoms.

Upvote 0
There's a mediocre article about the debate that's still supposed to be going on in Finland in one of the newspapers here. It quotes a ceertain Mika Aaltola of some Helsinkan institute.

The guy claims that these mass murderers are more akin to terrorists than madmen. That there is an organised network of people that are fascinated by these crimes and keep discussing them and looking for ways of improving them - now I don't know if this is the typical media lack of research and we here would be included in this supranetwork of postal guys of sorts or there really is something separate, something that's the wikipedia of these types of people. Also, their similarity to Middle-eastern terrorists is supposedly visible through the way they announce their crime beforehand with videos - well, that one, at least, is rather obvious and the connection is very conspicuous.

Further, the article discusses the fact that these crimes are going to happen more often as Western societies break down and young people will shift away from the real society unto a commune of their of kind (i.e. the sociopathic, mysanthropic kind).
Moreover, the aforementioned article suggests that countries with a strong tradition of xenophobia, racism, or male supremacy are the ones most susceptible to this kind of thing happening. Well, that explains - for instance - Switzerland's lack of such problems, or so I imagine.

What do you think?

Upvote 0
Kant, that's bull and that theory is also endorsed by our PM for pete's sake. It is a fact that our country has driven down social services rigorously since 90s depression. This is not some "new Finnish terrorism", this is ordinary people not getting any help for their mental/economical/social problems.

I guess that old phrase "Finland is Europe's most american country" is not entirely without base. Hell, that gave me giggles some years ago...

Oh, and ban handguns. They're bad.

Upvote 0
Another school shooting, this time near Stuttgart. 15 Dead. Few hours before there was one in America as well.

They should try to keep the killers alive somehow(unlike as most of them tend to shoot themselves in the head once they're finished but still sometimes it might be possible), try to stabilize them. Then put them in a cell, confront them with that they have done and show them their victim's parents/friends etc. and after that torture them for the rest of their lives.

Seriously this makes me so angry, really the most cowardy thing one can do ............

Upvote 0
As long as they try to blame "violent video games " over here..instead of our ****ed up masterialistc "me frist" society...was just a matter of time. Its allways the " silent never made anything bad kids". You know why ? because noone cares about those kids. Troubblemakers get looked after, but the maybe inteligent little quite ones. It eats them up. No wonder stuff like that happens. My condolences are out to the families that lost loved ones. He mainly shot girls. In fact 8 out of the 9 he killed in that school, besides the 3 teachers, where girls. Age ranged from 13 to 15...

Seriously. if we dont go back to the roots of what makes us a working society..and keep on beign bystanders that pull out the phone ( for video taping it..not calling cops ), instead of doing something EARLY..we are all guilty.

my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0