• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Looking for realistic WWII FPS & RTS game

Quenaelin

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2006
Finland
I just bought Theatre of War, it is good game but I was disappointed that you can't play it as FPS game, you can't control single soldier and tank by yourself in crew positions or shoot weapons. I would like game where you can control single tank and soldier like in Red Orchestra but there would be tactical or even strategical level of combat also, so you could be able to zoom out to tactical or strategical map to move platoons or even armies. Is there this kind of strategy level Red Orchestra mod available? Where you fight one battle and results are result where armies have to move. For example: if you have three own armies fighting against 5 enemy armies, then there could be 1-5 battles where enemy have 5/3 troop advantage over you and you could play all these battles and see results, some kind of Red Orchestra & Total War combination game?

Speaking of which, try to steer clear of Faces of War as it was rather crap in my opinion. You should keep an eye on Men of War though, as they *say* it might be more similar to Soldiers than to the arcade crap that FoW was.

SHWW2 is practically same arcade crap as FoW is. Only thing I truly disliked in FoW was the squad system, but luckily you could get rid of it ingame quite easily.

Upvote 0
I tried OFP FDF WWII mod and it was only slightly what I have been looking for, but it really lacks strategy game like in Total War.

What has happened to this type of games? Anybody remember Muzzle Velocity which got tactical game as well as first person shooter combined gameplay? I also remember there was game called Campaign for Amiga, with 3D-graphics and strategy campaign gameplay.

Too bad nobody isn't doing these kind of games anymore, wonder why? Maybe they aren't profitable enough?

Muzzle Velocity for DOS

http://www.mobygames.com/game/muzzle-velocity

muzzlev_screen003.jpg

1216940788-00.png

Campaign for Amiga

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=214

campaign_01.png

campaign_06.png

campaign_08.png

campaign_10.png

Upvote 0
I tried OFP FDF WWII mod and it was only slightly what I have been looking for, but it really lacks strategy game like in Total War.
campaign_10.png
That's because FDF only changes when and where OPF takes place, so to speak. The original gameplay is still largely in place.
What you have to search for is the CTI (Capture the Island) gamemode. You can play as a commander, build troops, outfit them, send them around, etc. but you can also take command of individual soldiers and control them like in vanilla OPF.
The scale of the strategic part of the game is limited to the islands of course, so it's more like Age of Empires than Total War in terms of scale.

Upvote 0
I just bought Theatre of War, it is good game but I was disappointed that you can't play it as FPS game, you can't control single soldier and tank by yourself in crew positions or shoot weapons. I would like game where you can control single tank and soldier like in Red Orchestra but there would be tactical or even strategical level of combat also, so you could be able to zoom out to tactical or strategical map to move platoons or even armies. Is there this kind of strategy level Red Orchestra mod available? Where you fight one battle and results are result where armies have to move. For example: if you have three own armies fighting against 5 enemy armies, then there could be 1-5 battles where enemy have 5/3 troop advantage over you and you could play all these battles and see results, some kind of Red Orchestra & Total War combination game?

Iron Crescendo is quite similar to what you're describing (tourney for Red Orchestra). Google it, it's lots of fun.

Upvote 0
I'll have to vouch for Soldiers: Heroes of WWII, I know it's probably not exactly what you're looking for but it's still good.

Yes Soldiers: Heroes of World War II,latest title from creators is FACES of WAR,and now they are working on MEN of WAR(release date - TBA 2008)
Faces of War(2006) was actually a sequel to Soldiers(2004) and not as good in my opinion. Though I'm definitely keeping an eye on Men of War.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found game which is almost what I was looking for, game is called Pacific Storm Allies, it doesn't have tanks and infantry but you control battlecruisers and airplanes instead. You can control everything in larger strategy map and even researching new weapons, then there is smaller scale tactical battle map in 3D and firstperson mode, when you can control airplanes and battleships. Good game, it has relatively modern graphics and it runs smoothly with my outdated computer, I have ATI X800 and AMD 2800+ XP processor :)

Upvote 0