• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What am I doing wrong?

Wasrad

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 27, 2008
OK, so I just bought this off of steam.

I like the concept of everything but....well....I SUCK

Seems like I need to get a 50 inch monitor to be able to kill infantry because im getting killed by other people who are just 5 pixels on my screen.

Have i wasted $10?

relatively in ro a small skill difference can have a huge effect in game, being top of the scoreboard or bottom can be a matter of a few weeks. It takes a while getting used to things. You will get it after a while if you use an smg move so that you cannot be shot at long range. The first week of ro can often be agonizing for a lot of people in that they don't ever kill anyone but once you make your first kills and start understanding how to play you'll fall in love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yap first you need to understand that smg's got huge differents compared to modern day assault rifels...you cant hit anybody out of 100meters and even that 100meters need practise...when you shot by smg you need to get knee position if you have time.

Tip: Move fast, run 5 meters hit the dirt and run other 5 meter...try to get close before you learn to hit targets on long ranges...

Upvote 0
I think what they are trying to say is about "tactics". If you are getting picked off by rifles at long ranges, you're exposing yourself too much. As Susi said, sprint from cover to cover. Don't hang around in the open. If you are getting shot at by someone you can't see, get to cover before you do anything else. Think "sneaky" :)

And, as an aside - I've played the game for 5 years and I am still sh1t with a rifle :)

Upvote 0
I think what they are trying to say is about "tactics". If you are getting picked off by rifles at long ranges, you're exposing yourself too much. As Susi said, sprint from cover to cover. Don't hang around in the open. If you are getting shot at by someone you can't see, get to cover before you do anything else. Think "sneaky" :)

And, as an aside - I've played the game for 5 years and I am still sh1t with a rifle :)

*grabs stick and beats the dev back into the development studio*
When did we give permission to stop working on the new RO?:p

Upvote 0
OK, so I just bought this off of steam.

I like the concept of everything but....well....I SUCK

Seems like I need to get a 50 inch monitor to be able to kill infantry because im getting killed by other people who are just 5 pixels on my screen.

Have i wasted $10?

RO isnt like most other games in the sense of 'get in and start owning people'.
It's a game that needs to be learned to play, and that takes a while.
Having said that (and has been said by others), right now you're playing against people who have been playing this game for a couple of years now.
In RO that makes a big difference in terms of how people play and employ tactics.

Just keep your head down, try to follow others around. If someone gets shot in front of you, try to find where the shot came from, and if you have the possibility, try to go around and flank the position. No use in sticking your head out into a place that is being covered by the enemy.

Upvote 0
NEW to RO

NEW to RO

When I first started playing RO....I found it very fustrating and still do, I got killed from places, I had no clue sometimes. My best advice, pay attention to what the rest of your team is doing, situational awareness, take a rifle...learn how to shoot, and if you have a question ask someone on the server, people are very helpful. Above all, have fun and welcome to RO!!!

Upvote 0
My problem isnt tactics or anything, its using RIFLES..not SMGS.....and not being able to SEE what i want to shoot at cuz its only a few pixels.....yet other people are nailing me from a mile away.

Is there a zoom feature im missing or what?

Think I should jsut go back to Armed Assaultt :(

Upvote 0
Rifle is the hardest weapon to master and make an impact on the round. Period. Most of us who have been around long enough, used all the weapons and played every single role, now select rifle. If you were to do a roll call on all the long term players, most will tell you they select it because it is so hard to master and is the final role to try and be really good at doing.

So, yes, I'm one of those guys who is shooting you with 5 pixel target. How? I know the maps, understand that a wall or sand bag is relatively straight along the top, and when I see anything that breaks the line in any way...I pop a round into your cranium.

Give it a month or two...seriously! :cool: You'll be doing well.

Upvote 0
Seriously, keep playing. It took me a few weeks but it was sooooo worth the effort.

After years of playing, mostly as a rifleman, I have been able to judge distance, movement and sometimes take into account my higher ping at times to take those longer shots and get hits. It is rare and sometimes takes many shots to do, but it does happen.

It is just practice. Also, learn to move and use cover, sprinting between the cover etc. Don't run in a straight line at the enemy, run at an angle and also use the dive to prone. Diving to prone behind even the smallest bit of higher ground can really save your a** once in awhile.

Best of luck and welcome aboard!!!! :)

Upvote 0
RO just so happened to be the 2nd FPS game I have ever played. E.T. being the first. I never played in the single player mode. I threw myself to the wolves and got my a$$ handed to me. Find a good server and get a mic. Meet people and just hang out and have fun. It will come to you and you will notice how your are dying less and getting higher in your scores. This is by far the best place to find friendly gamers who will love to play the game with you and show you stuff.

Upvote 0
While everyone says RO has a steep learning curve, what never gets said is that the curve plateaus fairly quickly.

This is important because it means that after a few weeks, you will be doing very well. There are no ritalin-twitch 10-year olds pulling off crap that you will NEVER be able to do. That garbage fails miserably in RO, which is what makes it such a great game.

In my experience, there are two things that really improve your game. One of them is controllable, the other often isn't.

1) Learn the maps!
You can always tell a new player, even from far away. That's because they have a tendancy to stand around in the worst places. They simply don't know which spots are dangerous. When you learn the maps, you will eventually be able to shoot pixels because you'll know where to expect the enemy to be.

2) Better equipment.
Sorry, but it's true. A better monitor, better mouse, and lower FPS will improve your game. I went from being usually in the middle of the scoring pack to almost always at the top right after I bought a fancy new computer with nice peripherals.

The most enjoyable way to play this game is to be the best you can be after considering 1) your experience level, and 2) the hardware you have.

By the way, you will ALWAYS get hit from somewhere that is a complete mystery to you. It happens. But soon you will do the same to the enemy. You'll see....trust me.:D

Upvote 0
Coming from twitch- and skill- heavy games like quake and halflife, RO will be a hit-or-miss experience for you. The biggest problem with this game is that the learning curve moves from a brick wall to a flat line. You'll quickly reach your peak and it's quite difficult to properly "own" in this shooter. Great for 45 year olds with fading reflexes, but a significant disadvantage for those naturally better at PC games.

By all standards, I should hate RO. But for some reason I still play it every day - you might too.

Upvote 0
Well I've always played all FPS games with the hardest or least used weapon and it's always been the rifle. I'll never choose any other weapon unless I run out of ammo or if a sniper really gets on my nerves then I'll grab a sniper just to even the score. I'm a huge revenge player. I play all games on the hardest levels and will make all games I play the most challenging for myself, makes gaming more satisfying.

Now as far as hitting pixels, it takes a bit of time but once you know the maps and you see something move since most stuff is static, that movement equals an enemy or occasional teammate. There is nothing more satisfying than shooting that single pixel from long range and getting that kill. My own quote is "Give me pixels I'll give you death"... So by the most part I'll be one of those guys picking you off from a mile away.

All in all this is the greatest and most accurate game available and that is also why it isn't as popular as many of the others - what I mean by this is it's not the old run and gun and when I say accurate - it is dead on once you get used to the iron sites.

NO there is no zoom or anything you are missing, other than iron sites and there is absolutely NO zoom for them (Realistic).

Most folks that come from say COD Series, BF Series, CS, or DOD series, realize real quick this game is NOTHING they've played before and usually think the same as you and quit immediately and think they wasted 10-20 bucks and just move on.

For those that have stayed and mastered the game soon realize there is nothing as realistic as the accuracy this game truly has, sure it doesn't have the eye candy as others, but accuracy is DEAD ON, which you are now realizing, but on the wrong end unfortunately... Just stick with it and before you know it you'll master it quicker than you think. There is a practice mode and starting out this is the place to be for a while and killing the bots, then move over and start taking out other humans in multiplayer... You won't regret you stayed with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some alternative to the method 'learning by trying to survive on a pub-server' is to get the custom-map "coretrainingb6".

Now you have your own proving grounds with reponsible and even moving targets. Or see it as a 'shooting-range simulator'.

Search a place near next to ammo-crate and start practice. The trick is not to shoot just some rounds. Do it constantly for an hour or two. Next day again. That for a week... See it as a form of meditation. You will reach a point where you can hit targets out of reflex pretty well (not every time and in every place - but it will happen more offen then not)
Then start K

Upvote 0