• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The building of gaming rigz0rz, halp!

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
I'm in a bit of a bind here, i haven't build a gameing rig since i build my own, 2-3 years ago, and i haven't really kept up to date on what the latest and greatest is since then, but as the only tech savy guy in my family, i have just been bestowed the (dubious) honour of helping my nephew build a new one, i'm just increadibly lucky like that.

Anyway, i've done it several times before, i know the drill, i just need to be brought up to speed on the latest standards, namely:

Mobo and CPU socket, what's the standard socket type right now (for both Intel and AMD based systems) that you guys think have a future? what's worth betting on?

CPU's, both Intel and AMD, where would the thinking man put his money right now? and what's good bang for your buck?

RAM, whats the standard for the future?

Vidcard, whats the high end? whats the good bang-for-buck middle road? and what should i stay far, far away from?

I hope some of you will take pity on me and guide me in the right direction..

For a bang for buck pc i'd say.

For best performance/dollar

ATI 4850 or 4870 as vidcard

As for processor for now Intel is best to go with if you want to go quad still the Q6600 is probably the best to go with. (the 45nm quads will drop in price in september) 8400 if dual core is ok. Both can be overclocked if you get a good cooler. At this moment dual core is probably all you need for current games and software although the additional cores of a quad core will come in handy if this computer is not going to be replaced any time soon.

Powersupply and case get something good, that's silent and got plenty of watts. Take at least something like 600 watts. It sounds like your nephew is going to keep his comp for a while so some future proofing like this would be nice.

Motherboard, socket 775, take an intel motherboard. P45 or P35 X38 X48 etc motherboards. (If you will never go crossifre (double vidcards) get a P35, it should be the cheapest option).

Memory just get yourself 4gb of ddr2 ddr800 is cheap ***.

Harddisc get some sata2 16mb ones.

If you do have enough money (sadly they are expensive for now) get a bluray disc player, just like with cds getting replaced with dvd's in all kinds of software it will be the same on pc. Probably earlier with games than with regular movies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Recomendation: wait for intel to release the Core i7 (nehalem) parts so that the penyrens will drop in price. Then you can build yourself a nice fast quadcore for cheap. Also, definately go with the ATI 4850, best price/performance ratio. If you are gonna blow $ on a graphics card then get the 4870x2, but you probably shouldnt, since if you get a 4850 you can justify splashing out 300 bucks 3 years on for a new one instead of having a 600 buck card for 6 years which will run like poop after 2. Also consider staying with DDR2 ram since it is much cheaper. X-fi soundcards are good if you are never going to run linux (I made that mistake and have been stuck with onboard for all my linux needs).

Upvote 0
Sorry to hijack this thread (I'm sure Grobut won't mind :D ) but do you have the X-Fi Gamer? I was thinking of getting it to replace this integrated Realtek ****card but I haven't found any reviews. How is it for you?

Believe you me you will not regret it.
I moved over from a Audigy2 (it died), to the X-Fi Gamer and noticed a great improvement, not only in sound quality but also games run smoother.

I hesitated for about 24 hours running on the Realtek on-board sound solution.
Got up in the morning and nipped down the local shop and bought one. I could have ordered it on zee internetz to save maybe 15

Upvote 0