• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to kill a Tiger! Super vid!

SchutzeSepp said:
since they would never had been able to keep up with the production of allied and soviet tanks anyway

Yes German production could not compete with both the Soviet and the Americans. If fact I believe the plan was to win the war before the Americans ever got involved.

D3terioNation said:
Complex armour had their day, but numeric superiority ALWAYS wins!

Really I suppose you should tell that to the Russians from 1941-1943. Yes in 1941 the German tanks were generally better than their soviet counter-parts (excluding the T-34 and especially Kv's in '41 anyway.)

There are some actions even in the later war that the Germans with a handful of tanks have taken on a much more numerically superior force and won with little losses of their own.

I believe many countries post war have adopted " Quality and Tactics" over mass production. Quantity over Quality is a tactic of desperation it is not the future as you seem to insinuate! It is a testament to the hard life of the Russian soldier in those days!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Complex armour had their day

1941-1943

DING DING DING we have a winner! :p

I believe many countries post war have adopted " Quality and Tactics" over mass production. Quantity over Quality is a tactic of desperation it is not the future as you seem to insinuate! It is a testament to the hard life of the Russian soldier in those days!

As I said before in the 'Best Tank' thread. An IED will destroy any tank. Be it an Abrams costing millions or a rusty t55...

I know which I would rather lose!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DING DING DING we have a winner! :p

As I said before in the 'Best Tank' thread. An IED will destroy any tank. Be it an Abrams costing millions or a rusty t55...

I don't know if an IED would so much destroy an abrams as much as immobilize it. Sure if enough explosives were packed the thing would blow sky high, but usually its a leftover arty shell

Upvote 0
D3terioNation said:

Never looked in there too many fanboys... That is just proof that tanks are becoming less effective in modern times (due to the so-called "moral warfare" but thats another can of worms) it has nothing to do with quantity over quality! You are comparing a tank to a totally different weapon an explosive device!

Anyway an IED is an improvised explosive there is no guarantee of anything of the kind (I can make an IED from Fireworks) they are usually made with whatever scapes of explosives or even flammable items available some of which is less than in prime condition (decomposed yes, that can happen). If you want an effective anti-tank explosive device that will destroy or damage a tank you need an AT-mine which have been around since there were tanks most notably from ww2 was the German Tellermine.

The IED is a weapon used for lowing morale, and an anti-infantry weapon, and anti-convoy! In the Iraq they are used almost exclusively against convoys not tanks!

IED IRaq said:
As of late 2003, 40 to 60 percent of all attacks began with an IED. Some of these attacks included direct fire attacks immediately following the detonation of the device. However, more and more IEDs were subsequently being used as a stand-alone means to engage a convoy.

USA today said:
It's money that couldn't be spent fast enough. Improvised explosives became the weapon of choice for insurgents and terrorists who attacked poorly armored Humvees and civilian cars at will from 2004 to 2006.

I did however find footage of one being used on a tank:
http://www.riflesnguns.com/video/m1-abrams-vs-ied

The rusty T-55 would be more susceptible to damage than the Abrams tank also another thing:
Back to WW2:

The German 10kg charge which is a legit explosvie charge made from explosives designed for wrecking construction was not a good weapon when used against a tank I believe the German tried to use them against Kv's it did not work too well however against the lesser armored T-34( roof armor in this case) it could knock it out if placed on a very specific part of the tank ( jammed under the turret which focused the explosive on 2 points the bottom of the turret and the top of the hull, T-34 had box top turret)- theres a training video somewhere. The reason with this as well as the IED is that most of the explosive energy is lost because it is not focused on a certain point like for example a HEAT projectile if you can get some kind of focus on it it would imporve its ablity to possibly knock out a tank key word possibly since it would depend on a great deal of factors.

D3terioNation said:

Call me old fashion if you want but I care about peoples safety over money anyday especially if Im responsible for sending them to war in the first place.

ty, for taking me out of context btw-:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aiming for "sweet spots" might have happened to some extent (Driver's front plate or such, depends on a tank though. It is still not the same as random instant nuclear explosions when hit one one though :p), but one reason why angling is not good thing already by it's onw is that you simply expose yourself to the danger of immobilizing. If you can move you might have a chance or two, but if you're bogged just because your tracks got damaged or even broken... :D

Don't forget the famous sweet spot of the Panther A. Its mantle was curved on the bottom, which led to an annoying tendency to deflect shots right into the thin upper armor of the hull under it. This shot trap was promptly removed in every Panther model afterwards. So yes, there were sweet spots alright.

Upvote 0
The IED is a weapon used for lowing morale, and an anti-infantry weapon, and anti-convoy! In the Iraq they are used almost exclusively against convoys not tanks!

The only thing destroying our tanks in Iraq ARE IEDs (improvised means made deadlier - and are certainly not made up of fireworks lol)

These bombs are getting bigger & bigger, and off-course tanks arent the usual targets!

The rules of modern warefare has changed and the days of tank vs tank on an equal footing are long gone! Western tanks will always win against say old ruskie ones poorly manned by countries that may be hostile.

Anyways back on topic please. Superior Allied numbers vs superior german armour!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually a number of abrams have been taken out by rpg7's.

And the russians dont really go for quantity over quality more than the US or so. They just keep their old tanks in service longer.

Their quality is infact of a different kind. Being light, more mobile and different armour techniqus(era and all).

Upvote 0
Take it you didnt watch the whole thing then?

I didn't watch it thoroughly in the morning, but after watching it just now I did made a mistake by making bit too early conclusion.

However, it is quite self-explanationary that a high explosive bomb is more or less dangerous. Even if not designed to use against X, it might still deal major damage against X presuming you get a situation where you can use it as IED (or even dropped from a plane or what-so-ever) correctly.

Upvote 0
Actually a number of abrams have been taken out by rpg7's.

And the russians dont really go for quantity over quality more than the US or so. They just keep their old tanks in service longer.

Their quality is infact of a different kind. Being light, more mobile and different armour techniqus(era and all).

not recently at least. All of the up to date ones I've seen have reactive armor piled on the outside making them impervious to shaped charges

Upvote 0