• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO for...console? (xbox 360/PS30

Don't forget a few common things with PC/Console games:
- consoles typically are aim-assisted, just get close and it's a kill
- cross-platform development usually means "develop it to the max potential of the console and then cripple the PC with this limit".
- consoles demand much smaller MP maps and assets, limiting PC users to playing in shoeboxes

In the end, cross-platform development in recent years has served only one purpose: to screw the PC user and vastly limit the potential of many many WW2 shooters among many other games. If the next game is in the typical cross-platform model, expect the death of the PC community. No other way to put it.

Everything would hinge on how "PC" the PC version is and what the limits are on gameplay, map sizes, and potential for community development. It is a lot of speculation at this point, until something is officially released but in my opinion, it is safe to remain skeptical and hope for the best for any PC version. If the new game is on par with the first in scope for the PC, then I would hope the community developers would say "F*&%" the console crowd and continue to develop big, dynamic maps that the consoles would choke on. In the end, if I am wrong, I will end up with lots more time on my hands to do other things.

Upvote 0
Don't forget a few common things with PC/Console games:
- consoles typically are aim-assisted, just get close and it's a kill
- cross-platform development usually means "develop it to the max potential of the console and then cripple the PC with this limit".
- consoles demand much smaller MP maps and assets, limiting PC users to playing in shoeboxes
1. Depends on the game. If it's just the small amount of crosshair-adhesion found in modern games this is a non-issue anyway. The days of N64 shooters are over...
2. I think the "limit" is high enough. Have you seen Bioshock or Masseffect? Gorgeous games. No need for games only a few people can play.
Plus there is no reason not to give the pc version hi-res textures, since typically textures are created hi-res anyway and only "downsized" for the games.
3. CoD4 is a deathmatch-game! It was never meant to be a large-scale 128player carnage! It has small levels so it is fast and fun with low player numbers. That has nothing to do with being on the console.

4. Cut down on the prejudices, please.

Upvote 0
3. CoD4 is a deathmatch-game! It was never meant to be a large-scale 128player carnage! It has small levels so it is fast and fun with low player numbers. That has nothing to do with being on the console.
Plus at E3 Sony actually announced MAG, a large scale BF-like game with up to 256players and squad system, very big maps etc.

Upvote 0
With a console you do have to work within it's specs, but due to it's specs being a standard you can push them much harder then you would a pc.

And on that note I've stated this before. If TWI do a multiplatform title I have faith in them. The staff of TWI has been pissed off about crappy ports just as much as you guys.

Upvote 0
Murphy, to date, console ports or whatever you want to call them have sucked on a massive scale compared to what "could" have been if only PC. And yes, my issues do have to do with the bastardized CoD series. Just stating my opinions and simply saying that if RO2 or for that matter, any other shooter, is developed to that level, I have no interest in it. Period. PC players and community developers get shafted by console limits and compromises. If TWI can pull off a console/PC hybrid that is not a step back from RO, then great, I will cheering for them. I choose to believe it when I see it, whether it is a TWI project, or any other developer.

Upvote 0
Murphy, to date, console ports or whatever you want to call them have sucked on a massive scale compared to what "could" have been if only PC. And yes, my issues do have to do with the bastardized CoD series. Just stating my opinions and simply saying that if RO2 or for that matter, any other shooter, is developed to that level, I have no interest in it. Period. PC players and community developers get shafted by console limits and compromises. If TWI can pull off a console/PC hybrid that is not a step back from RO, then great, I will cheering for them. I choose to believe it when I see it, whether it is a TWI project, or any other developer.

^^ :D

How would a multi-console pc thingy work on multiplayer? That would just divide the online community :(

Upvote 0
in fact i really don't care about if they make it for consoles aswell or not.
the only thing i know is that if the pc version of game 2, shows even the slightest signs, as rediculous or unimportant as it may be, of concession made in favor of the console versions. or if it seems like the pc version would have been better or more complete had they not worked on a console version aswell, that that will act like a nuclear bomb inside the RO community and it will start a war and generate alot of hate, and basically destroy RO ost, before game 2 would even be released.
thats all im sure off right now

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with you, SchutzeSepp. I wouldn't be one of those but I agree that a lot of hatred will come up.
And here is why it WILL come up. There is no "if Game 2 does this or that THEN..." ! It WILL come up. Here is why:

If RO:Ost would have been released for the xbox too, for the sake of argument it would have been the pc version with an xbox label on otp. It wouldn't even work on the xbox because it is just the pc version, nothing more nothing less. Just for the sake of argument!

Then people would have still moaned about it being consolized, because cap-bars that show enemy presence are obviously "console-crap", because the simple tank-damage model was obviously done so the game wouldn't tax the low specs of the xbox too much, because the less floaty movement Ost has compared to the mod was obviously done so people with a controller could play better, because having manual bolting on the same button as fire was obviously done because the xbox doesn't have enough buttons for RO, because the new melee was obviously done because console kiddies can't deal with one-hit-one-kill melee.
Newcomers who would have not known the mod would have criticized the graphics. Remember the threads on the DoD:S forum bashing RO for it's graphics? The graphics were obviously subbar because the console couldn't handle more! Remember that lots of people were still not able to play RO with a good framerate because the game is very cpu hungry? All of those would have moaned that the pc version was just a shoddy xbox-port and that the game would run bad because it was not optimized for pc!

You see my point?

PC players are paranoid beyond belief, when it comes to consolization. If there is a console version of Game 2 - no matter what Game 2 will be like - people will b!tch about it being consolized!

Upvote 0
PC players are paranoid beyond belief, when it comes to consolization. If there is a console version of Game 2 - no matter what Game 2 will be like - people will b!tch about it being consolized!

Because it WILL be less than what it could/would be if it was a straight PC title. Period. Consoles should stick to sports and trivial b.s. games for the mindless masses. They do nothing but dumb down PC titles, which probably fits their market just right.

Upvote 0
I think that given the way that the PC games industry has seen some of its best franchises wasted on a console audience who never played the original title(s) so they can cash in on the name, and have franchises whored out to produce run-of-the-mill generic pap for a console audience justifies at least a small amount of paranoia when another developer goes cross-platform.

Cross platform titles are usually always compromised for the PC user, and we always seem to lose out in some respect. It is the PC user who supported these developers and publishers when the PC was the only platform they could release titles on. Just because other platforms are now available, why do the PC users get the short end of the stick?

That's not to say it can't be done right, because it can. It just rarely is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because it WILL be less than what it could/would be if it was a straight PC title. Period. Consoles should stick to sports and trivial b.s. games for the mindless masses. They do nothing but dumb down PC titles, which probably fits their market just right.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, so wrong, wrong. It's still just your opinion even if you claim it's a fact for a 100times. There are enough examples and Murphy already wrote a good text about how multiplatform games aren't (always) the personified evil. Nothing more to say.

Upvote 0
I think that given the way that the PC games industry has seen some of its best franchises wasted on a console audience who never played the original title(s) so they can cash in on the name, and have franchises whored out to produce run-of-the-mill generic pap for a console audience justifies at least a small amount of paranoia when another developer goes cross-platform.

Cross platform titles are always compromised for the PC user, and we always seem to lose out in some respect.

That's not to say it can't be done right, because it can. It just rarely is.

I tend to agree with this. I think that any PC game that is either co-designed for the console, or a console port will suffer either in lack of controls or dumbing down of the gameplay, lack of support, lack of custom support, or any combination of all those. Probably other reasons as well, especially if it is a FPS. If it is designed for the PC first with the console as an afterthought, then I guess it would stand a chance and be ok.

I wish TWI all the success in the world and if a game company were going to pull the above off, TWI could be it. I admit that I will be bummed out if the next game is released and find out it was 'dumbed down' for the console though. There are already plenty of new dumbed down PC shooters out there that I don't want to play with nothing to really show except flashy new graphics. No sense adding yet another title to the already crowded mix.

PC First Please :)

Upvote 0
There are already plenty of new dumbed down PC shooters out there that I don't want to play with nothing to really show except flashy new graphics. No sense adding yet another title to the already crowded mix.
word!

the market is now wide open for an innovating realistic ww2 first person shooter, i could even be less specific by saying that on the market, the shelve with the inscription "good ww2 games" has been empty for quite a while.
i can't see any type of other game they could make, with wich they would have a chance to break into the market succesfully. especially if they make a game that wouldn't get the support of the RO community

Upvote 0
If RO2 is cross-platform, 1-1 basis, it will be dumbed down and it will not be comparable to RO:Ost. It will be a step backwards. And it is my opinion that console kiddies are just that, in it for the quick fix and without regard for anything long-term or more complex like a PC title offers.

Tell me how in the world community content would be distributed? How will a console store the hundreds of megs of custom content? You going to sit there and download 50 megs of maps and vehicles every time you load the same map? You going to play on peer-to-peer servers with 8, 16, or maybe 24 players in a shoe box? You willing to pay for centralized server access and half-witted "matching" systems to get a game going? You going to sit there and not cry in your momma's milk because console-kiddie #48270 has aim assist and you dont'?? Oh, wait, you most likely won't be able to play PC vs console... so there you have your community split. Currently console/cross-platforming does one thing to PC franchises: it kills them. It may be a slow, lingering death, but it will happen and I figure there are plenty of guys around here that won't wait around to watch it happen. I'm one of them.

Upvote 0
If RO2 is cross-platform, 1-1 basis, it will be dumbed down and it will not be comparable to RO:Ost. It will be a step backwards. And it is my opinion that console kiddies are just that, in it for the quick fix and without regard for anything long-term or more complex like a PC title offers.

Tell me how in the world community content would be distributed? How will a console store the hundreds of megs of custom content? You going to sit there and download 50 megs of maps and vehicles every time you load the same map? You going to play on peer-to-peer servers with 8, 16, or maybe 24 players in a shoe box? You willing to pay for centralized server access and half-witted "matching" systems to get a game going? You going to sit there and not cry in your momma's milk because console-kiddie #48270 has aim assist and you dont'?? Oh, wait, you most likely won't be able to play PC vs console... so there you have your community split. Currently console/cross-platforming does one thing to PC franchises: it kills them. It may be a slow, lingering death, but it will happen and I figure there are plenty of guys around here that won't wait around to watch it happen. I'm one of them.
Now that you seem to know everything about the future could you give me the lottery numbers of next week? Thx. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now that you seem to know everything about the future could you give me the lottery numbers of next week? Thx. :cool:

do you have a problem with us bashing on consoles giving video games a bad name? Console games don't have near the community support as purely PC games due to the ease of modification and distribution of such content, so I doubt we would all be here if RO: Ost was released on a console.

To everyone else, if game 2 does get tainted by consoles, we can always play RO: Ost :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Within limits (e.g. no sound files) the PS3 version of UT3 allows users to download custom-content made by hobby modders on the pc.
RO runs on the same engine and since they have access to the source they might even remove some more of the limitations. At least the distribution of custom-maps would be entirely possible. Maybe even whole mods. If not, then maybe at least mods like CC.

Besides, if you are playing it on the pc anyway, why would you care if console gamers can get content? How does it take away from your enjoyment if the console version is dead three months after its release? I don't think that'll be the case, a) for above mentioned reasons and b) because console players don't fit so neatly into your stereotypes.

Most pc players aren't hard-core realism fans either yet RO was accessible enough for them to get into it and thrilling enough to keep them there.
Why can't the same be true for console gamers?
Because the Halo community consists of jerks? The PC has its own jerk communities, like the CS community (no general offense to fans of the game, of course!).

To everyone else, if game 2 does get tainted by consoles
Please, read my post here and tell me it is not the truth! Tell me you would not be one of those screaming "consolization" in the described scenario!

Just a few real possibilities about Game 2:
-Maybe it'll have zoom in iron-sight mode. Would that be a result of "consolization"?
-Maybe it'll have ever-so-slightly overdone shinyness on helmets and weapons (like RnL had). Shiny crap for epileptic console kiddies?
-Most likely the new tank damage model will still be less realistic than what a full-fledged tank simulation can offer. Keeping it simple for console-harry or watered down for console specs?
-Maybe you won't die from a six foot fall anymore and most likely you won't get splattered from one anymore. Would this be because console kiddies aren't hard-core enough to want to get gibbed by a fall?
-Maybe there will be an option to change the voice-commands of allies from their native language to English so you don't have to read along all the time - in war you heard your comrades talk in your native language so it wouldn't really be unrealistic. Unauthentic maybe, but not necessarily unrealistic. Would this be an option for people who don't want to have to read an English (!) translation of what their friend just said to them, or would it be a simplification for console kiddies who are too lazy to read or are too stupid to speak Russian and German?

All of those could easily be in Game 2 if it was a pc-only title. Yet the fact alone that there could be a console version of it somewhere, coupled with paranoia and stupid groundless prejudices would mean Game 2 would be "tainted"...

Open your eyes, people. It's not the consoles watering down your games, it's greedy game-companies!
Last I checked TWI gave their game away for budget-prize and supported it and its community for years after its release, so don't freak out just because they want to sell their game to a few console gamers too.

Upvote 0