• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

tank riding solution

danihell

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 23, 2008
s
www.myspace.com
hey guys,
ive seen many efforts to make infantry ride the tanks and i think ive got a solution. just make a way that player can climb the tanks. there will be no hitbox problems, people will still be able to fire their weapons and even deploy MGs to give support to assault guns. the only problem i noticed is that if you fall and die, it will appear as if the tank driver teamkilled you.

there are three ways of making this imo:
1. putting a box (or anything else) near tank spawns so players can climb it and then jump onto the tank (ive seen this in a custom map, "muddy tigers" i think).

2. adding a feature that when you press the use key you end up at the top of the tank (like when you leave a tank in AB mod).

3. somewhere on the tank you could climb like there was a ladder.

thats it, sory about any english errors and see you in the front.

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
That would not work. You would die almost every time.

no it just depends what tank you decide to use as your mobile coffin. A t34 you can forget riding on, moves too fast. And the only tank I see fit to ride on is the isu-152. It moves slow enough to keep from sliding and you can get cover by hiding behind the crew compartment. Also the tank lacks any anti-personnel so in maps with the sidecar you can really surprise that nasty nazi

Upvote 0
Rideable tanks...

Rideable tanks...

Elnya has a Stug that infantry can ride...and the infantry says they are too exposed to ride so it's not used. Mount the stug by pressing 'z' I think. Also, Vidzeme has a BT-7 for infantry to mount. No one uses it, ever. Muddy Tigers put the boxes next to the T34...rode it as infantry a couple times but found myself waiting for a tanker and when they did arrive, they drove off somewhere not even close to cap! T34 is what the real Soviets rode when hand mounts were soldered to the hull. They also were behind the turret to stay near the warm engines...at least that's what I've read. Also, when they approached a target, the infantry dismounted and led the tanks to clear out the panzerfausts. It really sucks to be infantry! :)

Upvote 0
yeah the way AHZ has tank riding is a little odd. Instead of sitting in a row on the edge of the tank a nicer method would be to pile them all behind the turret, a few crouching and a few laying down

Probably done that way so all the player animations weren't overlapping each other, not to mention what do you do if the turret isn't facing forward?

Upvote 0
yeah the way AHZ has tank riding is a little odd. Instead of sitting in a row on the edge of the tank a nicer method would be to pile them all behind the turret, a few crouching and a few laying down

Well, Axel, you are welcome to develop your own code and vehicle package. Nothing stopping you from doing it as you see fit. Fact is, there are hundreds of hours of work in the AHz models and lots of contributions from the TWI team to get things to work as they do. Without creating a slew of new animations, I think Teufelhund did a fantastic job. The animations and positions on the tanks were picked for a reason. There is one version of the T34 which has riders directly behind the turret, by the way.

There are only so many places to put bodies and there are obviously a ton of hit detection challenges as well. Within the bounds of what the engine and code would allow, I think it was all pretty successful. If players don't use the tanks for transport, that is their problem or more likely the fault of tankers not picking them up. Depending on the map, the use of tanks for transport may or may not be much of an issue.

Upvote 0
Teamwork and knowing what to do...

Teamwork and knowing what to do...

I think the current game mechanics are fine...particularly trying to model everything to work correctly. The last thing anyone would want is someone riding on top of a clown car throwing satchels at panzers as they zip by at 80 Kph. :rolleyes:

Actually, to put a pile of people on a tank and make it so they cannot be shot off is akin to piling up the half track and riding into cap on Smolensk Stalemate screaming don't get out! You can't get killed! Ruins the challenge I think!

Upvote 0
Steamer: You have to have the vehicles coded into the map. It is up the mapper to use them, then if the map runs on the server, there you have it. ;)

Hit detection and collision issues are HUGE issues. Lots more challenges as well. Comes down to expense vs benefit. If it was easy, fool proof, and worth the investment with high benefit, I am sure TWI would have done it stock.

Upvote 0
Well, Axel, you are welcome to develop your own code and vehicle package. Nothing stopping you from doing it as you see fit. Fact is, there are hundreds of hours of work in the AHz models and lots of contributions from the TWI team to get things to work as they do. Without creating a slew of new animations, I think Teufelhund did a fantastic job. The animations and positions on the tanks were picked for a reason. There is one version of the T34 which has riders directly behind the turret, by the way.

There are only so many places to put bodies and there are obviously a ton of hit detection challenges as well. Within the bounds of what the engine and code would allow, I think it was all pretty successful. If players don't use the tanks for transport, that is their problem or more likely the fault of tankers not picking them up. Depending on the map, the use of tanks for transport may or may not be much of an issue.

I never said you didn't do a great job, I think being able to ride tanks is important to the game, and I was just throwing some more ideas out there :rolleyes:

Upvote 0