• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation Alpha - Patch OUT!

more like rollerskating.
That's what I thought of RO-mod. In Ostfront the movements feel almost mechanical. As if you were piloting a mech. For example the leaning. It doesn't feel "alive". It feels as if a bot would lean over a bit. I'm not really complaining since both the mod and the full game control very well for me, except for that lack of mantling. Just an observation.

I just played RnL:
The main problem with the movement, visually, is that it tumbles your view a slight bit whenever you sprint. Feels like being drunk a bit.
The main problem with the movement, functionally, is how you get thrown out of your iron-sight mode or not depending on how you move. If I had to right every possible combination down on paper it would probably all make sense, but in the game it doesn't feel intuitive at all.

Standing+IS= movement possible. Slightly slowed down.
Crouching+IS= movement extremely slow. So slow in fact that it cannot be used even for slight adjustments of your position.
Prone+IS (even if it's just the first stage IS)= disables IS, then moves normally.

I think crouching+IS should be speed up and very slow movement should be possible while being prone and using the first iron-sight stage. Just fast enough so you can use it to move a few inches to the left or to the right. Kind of like it is done in RO but maybe a tad slower.

Other than that it controls pretty well. Could be better, but it works.

That two-stage aiming is a cool idea, but the first stage allows you to run just as fast as if you have your gun at your hip. Seems strange to me.
The trasition from one stage to the other takes a bit long methinks. The point of the first stage should also be that you can get to the second stage a lot faster than if you were coming from the hip instead of from the shoulder. This doesn't seem to be the case. Mouse-Wheel Down activates the second stage without the first stage in between and it seems to be just as fast as if you would go from the first stage to the second.

Visually I think it doesn't even look as good as RO. The weapons are shinier but they don't really look better (EDIT: On further reflection: Yes, they are more detailed. Credit where credit is due!) and I like how they are more distinguishable in RO due to the different types of wood used. The maps look cool, but again, most of RO's look better. This is not my inner fanboy speaking since I drowned him a while ago.
Overall it looks pretty nice though. No reason to complain, let alone not to play it. Just no real Holy **** experience.
That weird glow on the playermodels has to go though. What's that supposed to represent?

The weapon selection menu works well. Different method than in RO but I like it. I assume the backgrounds will be changed? The color is hideus, but I guess they'll be doing some texture-work on that later on. The preview character model should be lit up a bit. The buttons for the face-selection could be bigger, but that's just Mr. Clumsy speaking... :p

I can't hit the broad side of a barn with any of the weapons. I always think: "Well, that one must have hit! No? Err. Let's see.. This one MUST have hit! No? Hm.." I fired around 75 shots during the time I played and maybe I hit three or five.. I'll reserve judgement until I know for sure whose fault that is. The game's or mine.:eek:

Solid effort. This might become a winner after a few updates!

EDIT: I already changed my iron-sight key to mousewheel up and mousewheel down in RO so I don't get confused. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Except when it IS a fact. See, that's the great thing about facts. You're a persistent troll though; I'll give you that.

If you want to discuss RO's movement mechanics, start a thread for it. This is the RnL thread. So let's talk about RnL.

Back on topic...

Door blocking is a pretty effective way of defending an objective. I was holed up in a room, and I closed the door every time an American tried to open it. :D One of them was like "wtf am I doing there's a German in there", and it was hilarious to hear the other team going all "there's someone in there, throw a grenade in there". :D Many lulz were had.
I didn't start the discussion neither am I a troll(except if that for you means not being a RO fanboy and accepting other things in life than RO).

Just played a bit again and I have to say I like it more and more. I mostly play as american though because Kar98 is too inaccurate(at least i feel so and people i asked felt so too).

Upvote 0
What the ****, beaches? This is still Alpha, there I said it. Seems like some of you forgot how RO started out and I'm not seeing anyone slander DH, CC or MN either (HINT: their first releases were mediocre at best). Take a chill pill and play whatever your high standards permit until they release a beta.

Shouldered aim mode and squad morale, you say? **** YES, give me more. This ****'s gonna rock, I guarantee it.

Upvote 0
What I really love about RnL -

You can look at your own legs and feet.

Realistic freeaim ironsights.

Completely no HUD (only for text messages) but still plays incredibly well without it.

Good draw distance, you can see clearly who is friend or foe at the far end of the road.

An excellent inventory system where it shows the items you have just like as you look down at your own chest or waist to find that it's there.

The weapon sounds are very LOUD, just the way I want them to be.

You can climb a 6ft wall. There is no jumping but is replaced by a dive like motion. Running into prone also activates the dive as well.

When using ironsights your avatar leaps up to get better view or surroundings similar to RO: O weapon lean feature.

You can move fast on the go when using ironsights.

Good sized and well structured maps, there not too big nor too small and you can take multiple paths towards your objectives.

It has a Morale Boost Squad System.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There seems to be a bug with the bolting. If you are in a tight area sometimes you somehow can't bolt and when you move around a bit so you are back in the open again you still can't bolt. You have to switch to another weapon first and then switch back to the rifle. It works again then. It's fairly common so I hope they are already working on a fix for that.

When prone there should still be leaning. Maybe make that roll so it occurs when you hold down "sprint" and then lean, but if you only press lean it simply leans. This could be applied to the other stances as well, methinks.

On that one map with the long road with the broken tanks as cover the color of the distance fog has to be changed so it matches the background more closely. As it is you have a fairly dark background and in the distance light grey objects pop up as you move around. Enemies are clearly visible too that way. If the fog color was changed to match the background - or the other way 'round - objects would blend in more and it would look more like fog than stupid video-game cut-off.

Upvote 0
What is supposed to be the suppression effect? My screen just gets a black flicker for a bit if a grenade lands close. Is it supposed to be like that?

By the way. The 3D "local" voice chat is really cool, and requires slightly different tactics than you're used to. I was attacking the multi-story building in that rainy map with someone else, and this guy was talking on voip. The Germans then killed us at the house. They must've heard us. When I pointed this out to him he was like "Ah dammit I forgot, let's distract them then by saying we're attacking the house from the front". So he said that when we got close to the house, attacked the house from the rear, and secured the objective. :D That was cool.

Now let's hope they fix the stuttery movement... it's even clunkier than INS, but it is quite fun as it is now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol yesterday I was an allie and was near the spawn. So I started running down a street, towards the objective. Then I saw a german hiding in the grass. And right in front of me there was another allie. He was shot by the german(he didn't see him) turned around and shouted sth like 'DraGGon you moron why do you ****ing shoot at me'. He then saw the german and I killed him which saved my allies life because otherwise he would've been shot again=dead. So then I was like 'now who's the moron?'

Upvote 0