• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

World war 2 game --- what is it?

Whatvere, I've answered his questions, I'm going to keep out of this now.

Also, trolling= saying something to provoke a reaction.

How can you claim trolling is provoking a reaction, when first, you claim that you don't want to speak about the game, yet you come here and tell us all about it, and tantalizing secrets that you've sworn to hold true?

If that isn't provocation, I don't know what is.

Also, this thread is a pretty clear indication of what they were going to use, poll or not.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info but 40 euro is roughly $63 American. Paying more than the price of a full game isnt worth an alpha. I dont see how getting access to screens and development progress is a deal either as they should be free in the form of news on their site...

Thanks again for the info but I'll wait.

Upvote 0
Hi All i am "RonanHayes" so hopefully I can clear a few things up.

Perhaps, but I still think it's wrong to deny the public like this. Some people are sincerely interested in the game but are weary of donating. Ronan Hayes seems to think that most of the world is out to get at his project or something. I think it's about time something worthwhile is released for the public eye.

We don't release anything because we are waiting until the game is at a stage where we can simply show it and have everyone see and understand exactly what we were doing. If we show it too early we get all manner of people saying it's over ambitious, not what we promised etc.

So we have decided as a team to wait until we have enough to show before pushing some live media out the door (Screenshots, Videos, Demos).

We don't have a publisher, nor do we have a massive marketing strategy, so we are in a position where we assume we only have 1 chance to make a first impression.

i only wish this game will work, or be finished. been hearing about it for years now. only i have some serious questions, no actual engine can handle what they promise, basically the entire normandy region with every house and detail modeled. they switched engines at least once. the only way i see this working would be a slightly better looking version of ww2 online. no way they can make a detailed representation of an entire part of france, and no way any engine could handle it, let alone pc. and i think there are faster and better ways to make such games

Plenty of engines can handle this game. We have switch engine 3 times at this point usually due to restrictive source code. This usually doesn't work out well for the game and instead of settling for a piece of technology that will not suit the needs we either move onto something that will or we enhance it ourselves.

Please feel free to enlighten me on how to create this game faster and better, because myself and the team have been trying to do so for months.

It's just not that simple to make a few quick changes and expect the development to be streamlined.

I thought only key areas will be detailed and the rest would be based on topographical data and randomization. Kind of like the world in Arcanum. It's still a huge project, but it sounds a lot more plausible.

It's all of Normandy. Every house can be entered, every house can be destroyed and every building is based off accurate planning maps from 1930's - 1950's. In most cases we paid a visit to IGN, got access to the planning register between these times and mapped out our areas. We then cross reference this with various other maps and finally pay a visit to the area ourselves in person to see what the area looks like.

The level is being created in a rather simple way. We have a vector map for our game, this is essentially an outline map that shows all the roads, buildings, waterways etc. We then load this vector map and block out the building shells dynamically. This covers the placement and creation of the initial meshes. We then swap these shells out for building blocks that we have from all the other buildings we have done. Thus giving us an accurate looking building in less time. Obviously there are issues with this system (as with any system to be fair) which we are still working through. Once we have it perfected it will make development of the game far easier and less "ambitious".

everything will probably be made of static meshes just like in ww2online, so if you want to generate an actual city then there is no way they can replicate each building in an accurate and detailed way. even with basic simple low res buildings any engine will have trouble generating the 10's of thousands of houses that each little french town counts.
it would take 10 years just to replicate 1 city in a detailed way. so if its just a game like ww2 online with verry abstract environments then its a joke, but on the other hand if its a detailed environment like on call of duty or RO maps then i say thats the greatest game ever but its totally impossible!

if you have seen my DH map of Foy, its a small village with a few houses and verry detailed. its simple though with every optimisation technique available the RO engine can't handle such a simple map if i don't set a verry thick fog that allows the engine not to draw anything thats at a certain distance. i i remove the fog, so the engine must draw the entire map, your pc's will just explode. now explain me how they can make huge maps even with a new engine, that are detailed enough to actually be fun to play. not like ww2OL where you have to immagine those blocks are houses

Very little in the game is static, everything has been designed to be destructible and take advantage of the various physics systems available.

1 small Town in our map is about 3 times the size of an RO / COD maps. We are talking around 800 - 1200 buildings, which are fully enterable. We have this town up and running with full graphical details and are getting around 40 FPS from a birds eye view. If we drop to the streets we get around 60 - 80 fps. This is on a moderate system (not a QuadCore with 8800).

Now I don't think 1944 is impossible it's difficult and some days I would just love to pack it in. I could think of far better things to be doing with my life than chasing up contractors or dealing with people who like the idea of making games but no drive to do so. Yet for some reason I stick with 1944 and I keep plodding away and that is exactly the same for the rest of the team. We all have highs and lows but no matter what happens we stick with it. So we are confident that we will get this game done. If it takes 10 years fine, I believe I was given until 2032 by another member of the RO forum as a release date, so in the back of my mind if we finish the game by 2032 then I'll be happy. Realistically we are looking at sometime before 2012.

ah so you are a beta tester? how much must be donated to get the beta?
i suppose you can't say anything about the game, but you can give your opinion. do you think the game is or will be great?

the 2011 supposed release date is a major kick back, i would rather just forget about that game completely and in 2011 well see what comes. even if i have a feeling that by then we will have game engines that can just generate maps using google earth by 1 simple click.

Drakon2k didn't have to donate he was a long standing member of the forums and as with all long standing members (who were active) we gave them access.

Personally I think the game will be great but I'm biased :p

The release date we set was 2012 and the reason we are not releasing media is because we don't want this long drawn out drizzle of details relating to the game. It's rare that I come to other forums to talk about 1944 but it always seems that end up on RNL or RO forums trying to explain the game.

Right now we are generating our maps based on vector information so it's pretty easy for other developers to do that with Google Earth right now (and I've seen a few attempts by developers). The difference is that 1944 is aiming to replicate 1944 Normandy. Google Earth only helps in so much as we can cross reference which buildings are still standing.

We believe the game will be done and you will not see the team hype the game before we get to a point where all our talk matches our work.

No matter what features people ask about in their forums, the devs say it will be in. "Sure, that'll be in the game." and "I can't promise you anything, but we sure want that feature!", etc etc.

A typical case of "first seeing, then believing".

I know you probably signed an NDA Drakon but do you honestly expect them to have fulfilled all of those promises by 2011?

Maybe if they'd release a couple of ingame screens or a gameplay movie, people would be more convinced.

People always ask the same questions that's why they always get similar answers.

1. Research is king, if our research indicates something was in Normandy, Around Normandy or planned to be used in Normandy, then we create it and it will be in the game. We have created several vehicles and weapons that did not feature in Normandy but were planned, so we developed them so as to allow players to play around with alternative tactics. So when someone asks if X is in the game the answer is "If our research indicates it"

2. Can I do X or Y, the game is based on properties, recently alot of developers have been making a move towards Morpheme, Euphoria etc. Well I've been programming in a similar style for years. Basing everything in 1944 on properties thus allowing the player less restrictive access to things. They are only bound by properties so provided what they are trying to do works within the bounds of properties then there is no reason why they can't do something.

Again we will release media when we are happy that our talk matches our work. We don't want to release too early and have everyone think we failed to meet our own vision. As that kind of first impression will last, look at "Too Human" it's become the whipping boy of the games industry because one of it's first public showings was terrible. Unlike SK we don't have the financial backing to attempt to recover from such a mistake.

If you want to help me pay for 1944, I will give you endless amounts of screenshots, movies, demos etc. But as long as I am the one paying for the games development then I'll be cautious as I am typically the one taking all the financial risks and I won't have a rash move by me or the team ruin the project.

Some questions.

1)How much did you donate?
2)Do you have a time limit with access to the playable build?
3)Are there actual competitive matches being played or more just walk around the battlefield and shoot some weapons?
4)Can you tell us anything besides "it was worth it"? Like why for instance.

Thanks.

1)

Upvote 0
CryEngine2

Oh that would be nice and would probably sort out all my headaches, but let's be realistic here. You guys have spent the past 3 pages of this thread bashing the game for being over ambitious or impossible, so how on earth would we be able to afford CryEngine2?

Sure we could take the SDK but then we are making a mod and I'm pretty confident it's a rather hard sell to a publisher. "Oh and we need to License CryEngine2.0 because that's what we have been using"

Unfortunately our development is not so high profile, we've been using a customised internal engine for over a year now. I am an Engine / Tools Programmer and have been credited on several 360 / PS3 / Wii Games as being one, so I opted to avoid middleware I couldn't afford or couldn't control.

But by all means if you want to donate 50,000 times perhaps I could afford a license...

Upvote 0
I wish it were that simple, unfortunately unless it's the next Crysis, Call of Duty people will pick it apart. So we are waiting until we have what we feel will stun viewers. Thus leaving us in a far better position.

RO started as a mod so it's had the good fortune of not trying to compete with other big developers initially. But I am certain that Tripwire are not releasing new media from their new projects without careful consideration, it's the nature of the web to compare games with other titles. So developers have to be very careful about what they release to ensure they don't leave a bad impression.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ronan, I dont know how many art assets you have completed so far but I think you'd do a better job in getting donations if you had even just one solid screenshot to build some faith. I would love for this ambitious goal you've set forth to be reached but I cant bring myself to donate to an idea with no evidence. I mean you dont even have any solid concept art or new renders on the site.

And I also understand that you have no obligation to show anything but I think you'd garner a much stronger community if you showed just a little something. Any of the people who are truly interested in the project won't discriminate on a WIP. I understand on being protective of the media but don't you see why people are wary if you've been developing for something like 5 years with no solid progress shown except to people who pay?

Any chance you could pm me a screenshot or send me a link to a temporary page displaying a playground screenshot? I dont care if theres 200 unfinished assets. I just want some proof what you have is quality work. Id be much more prone to throw a donation your way.

Thanks for spending the time to respond and explain.

Upvote 0
Ronan, I dont know how many art assets you have completed so far but I think you'd do a better job in getting donations if you had even just one solid screenshot to build some faith. I would love for this ambitious goal you've set forth to be reached but I cant bring myself to donate to an idea with no evidence. I mean you dont even have any solid concept art or new renders on the site.

And I also understand that you have no obligation to show anything but I think you'd garner a much stronger community if you showed just a little something. Any of the people who are truly interested in the project won't discriminate on a WIP. I understand on being protective of the media but don't you see why people are wary if you've been developing for something like 5 years with no solid progress shown except to people who pay?

Any chance you could pm me a screenshot or send me a link to a temporary page displaying a playground screenshot? I dont care if theres 200 unfinished assets. I just want some proof what you have is quality work. Id be much more prone to throw a donation your way.

Yeah I totally agree. This 1944 D-day will almost NEVER come out, I've been following it for a while and I've come to that conclusion. The game is all talk and no show.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I agree for the most part, but It's not going to change my stance on it, we will showcase the game when it's ready. I have been more than forthcoming answering questions by people looking to make donations, but I don't believe I have ever mislead anyone into donating on false pretenses.

The screen shots will come when we are ready to showcase the game in full, until that point comes I don't expect anyone to be content with what we are currently showing. With that in mind I still believe we have 1 chance to make a splash with screen shots and videos.

Yeah I totally agree. This 1944 D-day will almost NEVER come out, I've been following it for a while and I've come to that conclusion. The game is all talk and no show.

It's our choice not to showcase the game until we are happy with what we can showcase. If you don't believe the game will ever come out, I'll take it as a challenge to get it done.

Upvote 0
guy just check out their forums and website, last time i had checked about a year ago they had just a few renders of buildings.
now i was astounded to see how many new stuff there is to show, plenty of vehicles, weapons, and map renders. and i believe a few WIP ingame screenshots. but nothing that really shows yet how the game will look unfortunately

Upvote 0
guy just check out their forums and website, last time i had checked about a year ago they had just a few renders of buildings.
now i was astounded to see how many new stuff there is to show, plenty of vehicles, weapons, and map renders. and i believe a few WIP ingame screenshots. but nothing that really shows yet how the game will look unfortunately

Uhhh theres actually alot of content there. After all this debate you think someone else would have mentioned this lol.... Thanks SchutzeSepp.

EDIT: http://1944d-day.com/pr/November2006/Audio/public_demo_final.WAV

Pretty ****ing awesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't be one to pimp the content of the game as none of it's really final. We take an incremental approach to things whereby we can always expand and improve on it without making contet final.

You could try trawling:

http://1944d-day.com/pr/

There is an alot of content in there, alot of it is unfinished or WIP's but there are some gems.

Or i would recommend these threads:

http://1944d-day.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5739

http://1944d-day.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4790

http://1944d-day.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5612

http://1944d-day.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5761

http://1944d-day.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4916

http://1944d-day.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5570

Those would be some highlights, sometime this month I will compile a gear and map thread. But again it won't be finished works just another insight into development

Upvote 0
Ok I am thinking to donate. Is it worth it?

No, it's not worth it. I would label the project as ambitious if it was being made by a large professional studio. This on the other hand is being worked on part time by a handful of amateurs and hobbyists. You could donate 500$ if you wanted and it wouldn't make a dent. Games take a few hundred thousand dollars to create and a few years of full time work. And as far as I can tell they are not even on the game part, instead it's "model all of Normandy then go from there". And then what? Is it going to play like WW2online, RO or RNL? But I guess that part is not important yet. Saying it's coming out in 2012 is a joke.

/endrant

Upvote 0
I donated a while ago out of pure curiousity, and the amount of stuff they have is pretty damn amazing. Especially the level of detail that they are working for. I've gone through tons of pages of stuff that was posted before I joined and it is all equally amazing. Yes, this game will take time, but I have no doubt it will be done. So, yes, it was worth it to donate.

Ekoms

Upvote 0