• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What are some good memoir books during WW2?

DietOrange

Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2008
I have had "the forgotten soldier" by Guy Sajer for a while now and just bought a copy of "In Deadly Combat" by Gottlob Herbert Bidermann. Guy Sajer does a very good book and he stays as a gefreiter for almost the entire thing, but Gottlob is supposed to Leutnant so I hope the differences from rank are good.
Anyways what other books are good? I have plenty of books regarding battles and campaigns, but I have found these personal combat texts much better than most.
And if you know is there anything worth picking up like this that deals with the current Iraq war from a soldiers perspective?

I just read a book by "Rolf Ivar Jordbruen" called "Hell on earth" ( roughly translated)
It is a book that has been put together with the help of the notes, stories and tapes made and told by the Norwegian volunteer Hermond Tuft (1924-1997). He was an infantrist in Kaukasus, outside Stalingrad and Tsjerkassy.. and many other places..

He was some of the few surviveors of the "original" members of the SS wiking.

The book is somewhat short, only about.. 170 pages. but gives a good impression of how it was about the front.. It gives occational raw, brutal tails of the retreat 43-45.

But the "best" or in my eyes the most disturbing part is the description about his year as an POW.. in american POW camps.. seeing how his fellow soliders being mistreated to death for months..
How at some point, being POW to the americans apperently where worse than to the Russians in the beginning supriced me.

If it evern comes out in english.. or if it has allready, do have a look at it.
If not it is atlest something for the scandinavian readers..

Upvote 0