• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Map Voting: Get Rid of It!!

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
I can't help but notice that the same maps tend to be played over and over again: Zhitomir, Arad, Danzig, Odessa, Kurland Kessel, etc.

Those are great map, but a lot of the other maps, especially those custom made by the community, see to get very little play.

Maybe the means already exists, but does anyone think that map voting should be at least optional or abolished, and it should be the server's Administrator who picks the map.

Of course the map voting is more democratic (sort of), but I noticed some maps, that were well-designed decent maps, are just played very little or are no longer played anymore.

Even new maps that are created seem to get relatively little play.

If the Administrator picked the map, then everyone would have to play what he picked, or just rotated, and more maps would be played more often.

Right now, as it stands, only the most popular maps tend to be played.

What do you think?

I can't see a problem if 30 players voting for playing a certain map over and over again. If you force them to play a different map they will leave...

This is probably a good thing. We have 24/7 servers for these kind of people.

I think it's an issue when all the stock maps are readily available on many other servers, but the few that do run a good deal of custom content can get filled with these type of people. If I'm on a custom content server, I'd like to play some different maps. If I wanted to play Danzig, Arad, Zhitomir, etc, I'd go over to TWB or one of the 24/7's.

Upvote 0
This is probably a good thing. We have 24/7 servers for these kind of people.

I think it's an issue when all the stock maps are readily available on many other servers, but the few that do run a good deal of custom content can get filled with these type of people. If I'm on a custom content server, I'd like to play some different maps. If I wanted to play Danzig, Arad, Zhitomir, etc, I'd go over to TWB or one of the 24/7's.

What he said. :D

Upvote 0
Mapvoting is an excellent feature to have turned on, all that needs to be done is remove the bad and overplayed maps from the rotation.

With mapvoting off, the rotation always goes to a map no one likes eventually. One time we were all having fun, playing on a server without map voting. Then the map shifted to Krivoi Rog, and within minutes the server was empty.

Mapvoting should not be blamed for bad map rotations. People vote for bad maps because servers don't run good ones enough. Removing the bad maps forces people to choose good ones.

Upvote 0
Well, I played tonight and a little last night, and all I saw was Hedgehog, TulaOutskirts, Arad, Basovka, Ogledow and those are all enjoyable maps, but I didn't see what I might call some of the bigger maps, like Pavlov's House, Gorlitz, Kriegstadt, PariserPlatz, and I really wanted to try VIvid's Mamayev Kurgan which was just released, and see what that is like, but I guess I'll have to try on the weekend.

I played on the 50pc Clan server in the past, and they seemed to always run the new maps. But for whatever reason, my observation is the other servers tend to stick with the maps that were from original vanilla RO.

I understand they're free to do that.

I suppose one could always start their own server, but, I guess one could say, these maps I'm talking about might not attract many people to the server.

If you scraped the Voting System entirely, players would have to play whatever map was offered on the server.

Yes, they could go to another server, with the Voting System scraped, but still, their opportunity to play Basovka, Arad, Kurland Kessel, StalingradKessel, etc. would be more constrained.

I would just like to see more maps played in general (Klin, OfficeBureau, even Chapalinka) but I keep seeing the old standards being played again and again.

Now, I have to admit I've been working on the Iron Europe Mod a lot in my spare time, so I can't say with any definitiveness that what I'm saying is actually the case.

iebanneriu3.jpg

Iron Europe: 1914-1916 Mod For RO (Our First Release)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps rather than disabling votes altogether, some of the more overplayed maps (de_dustzig, cough cough) could be disabled on the votelists for servers with custom maps. Kriegstadt and Pariser Platz are, in my opinion, the best two maps in the game; I also love Lazur. I've played Kriegstadt about three times with a full server, and the second was the single best game of RO I've ever had even though I joined in the last 25 minutes and by that point we had been pushed back to the Moltke Bridge. Pariser I believe I've played about four or five times with more than 10 players (all versions), and each time was thoroughly enjoyable. Lazur I've played three or four times, and again it was brilliant. However, it seems impossible to find a server running them with people on these days (keep in mind that thanks to my horrible ping, most if not all Euro servers are unplayable for me); the last time I tried to get Kriegstadt on I was told "it kills the server" and everyone decided to play dustzig for about the fifth time that night. While I'm aware people will have their favourite maps which they like to play nonstop, is it really that much to ask they go play it on the 24/7 servers so the rest of us can actually have something different?

Upvote 0