• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

I would just like to point out I think the first RO is dieing thread appeared just a few months after launch. So I'm prepared to see RO dieing for a few more years.... Thats just my take on things. If people continue to enjoy the game they will play it. And remember, the best way to fill an empty server is to join it. If you don't like the map some servers are playing, grab your friends and fill up another one!

Upvote 0
SMG RECOIL
3d sounds

Fire short little bursts and SMG is fixed:
2-3 mp40 and or 4-5 ppsh are optimal. You never need full auto except in crowded stairways/buildings

3d sound? : use headphones! - with headphones I can tell where
almost everything is when they fire, and what weapon it is.

By learning the weapon sounds and which side has that weapon - it opens up the battlefield "intelligence" to you without using that stupid gamey "radar thing" other shooters use.

Think of RO's 3D soundfield as a "thinking mans sonar". Every time they fire they give their approximate position away = opportunity for you to avoid or engage with a better tactic. *another example - When possible - the instant you hear the distant thump of arty firing - hit the "O" button and make sure you're clear of friendly arty. -

Just opening your ears will save you countless times during an average match. :)

Upvote 0
Problem that the wild bunch runs 13 maps, that in my eye should never be played on any server above 32 slots where it already starts feeling cluttered.

Although its not purely their fault custom maps just result in empty servers somehow. (that is why i hope that for game 2 in the future more maps can be released per default with the game).

Upvote 0
what people mean with 3d sounds is the voice commands.

If someone uses the grenade voice command the entire axis team hears it just as loud without any direction of the person yelling it i believe.

What if you had certain radiation that shows the text message and shout. Like a big circle and anyone in that area could read it and hear it, and people ouside that area woudn't even notice anything. Like tank commands that only your crew can hear.

Woudn't that be simple solution?

Upvote 0
I constantly come out here and see the same old things posted. Everyone constantly mentions Customs, Skilled Players, well Admin'ed Servers (Ones you don't get kicked for being good), Organized play, Mods or Mutators servers need to have and it goes on and on.

You also see everyone complaining about the same old servers and the same old standard maps. Now in this thread alone probably 40 or so different people have posted and some of the posts contradict their own statements, just read you'll know which ones I mean - example we want more content or customs but we don't want to download from the server. :eek:

To play customs means you need to download the content and wait but just remember once you have it (Unless they release other patches) you should not have to download again. When the server is full sure you may not even get to play it but if you keep coming back and frequenting the server you'll have it and finally get to play it with a full server sooner or later, maybe not that first time.

Now I've shamelessly posted several times out here about our server (2Mannys - IP: 8.12.17.81:7757) one that is giving the players EVERYTHING they want or at least is trying to, and all the things people are mentioned within this thread -and yet here our server sits empty night after night, day after day.

We have our regular base about 10-15 players and many of those that have posted here have frequented our server and most have had great experiences there (when it is full), sure you have your few that come in and realize that some of the players that frequent our server if there were a ranking system are probably some of the best players to grace the game EVER and sure some are not well liked and have been kicked from all the normally filled servers (Just because they are good at what they do). Even many of the modders and mappers have graced our server hoping to see their customs in action etc. The ONLY thing our server is lacking is the PLAYER BASE - so the 40 complaining here come join us that ='s a full server.

People obviously have not used their Steam Community properly either to add friends that they want to play with, just seeing when everyone is on instead of going into an empty server and stay in touch with those in your community is what helps put players in our server - our 10-15 regulars know when we are on and will then join to be with those they know, so start using this feature more instead of looking at the stupid server lists (Which we all know is BUNK).

Here is ours: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/2MR

2Manny Spec Sheet:

US Midwest (Chicago) - Great pings for all of the US and possibly UK
40 Player (Pub Server)
Armored Beast 2.08 Mutator
AHZ Two Vehicles Mutator - maps that use them
StugIII G Mutator - maps that use it
Scoped Pickups Mutator - maps that use it
ISU-152 Mutator - maps that use it
Carpathian Crosses MOD
100+ Maps - 70 or more Customs (Usually the Latest) I try to keep up:D:D
EvilHobo Machine Gun Mutator
Many Admins
Skilled and Mature Players - the regulars and the common frequenters, (Sure some kiddies get through) (Thus Admins)
8 maps have to be played before it can be played again (meaning time to play something new)
Custom win limits for maps (All Large and Most Tank, and time consuming maps are winner take all - 1 round).
Those occassional break up the monontony maps (Spartaaa, Enwichen) - pistol, sniper, melee only maps more or less are also 1 round.
Smaller, Standard, Popular Customs maps are best out of 3.
Map Voting is enabled
Bots for practice and for something to shoot at while seeding (Standard and few Customs) 10-20 bots - These get removed immediately when server has 10 or more players and an Admin is present.
Open to suggestions - for map removals or additions, and other content in general
Usually good use of VOIP (I know I get out of hand at times, with the play by play of the cap zones) So get in the damn zones... :D:D:D

Now when the server is full with the 8 map limit you may never see the same map twice in a course of a night or session of play when those vote for more customs - heck a single round of Kreigstadt, Berenzina, Tractor Works, Lenningrad, to name a few, is more than enough of a great night of killing and as mentioned winner takes all and just a couple maps like those your night of killing should be fullfilled. :D

Add our server to your favorites, add our commuity to your Steam, tell others, and get off the old same old and stop complaining and posting and start filling the server. It only takes a few to seed then before you know it the server fills, sure there are bots to start you off, but when an admin is present they get removed quickly as the server fills - besides as people join they replace the bots so if the server is full then you'll never see a bot now will you??? :D

The key is frequenting the same servers and keep coming back, if everyone would simply get in and stay instead of always jumping, then servers would always be full. As server admins we can only do so much and try to give everyone what they are looking for, but a single admin only adds 1 to a server so LETS GO SOLDIERS, get your arses into 2Mannys and let see what you got:D. All this talk out here but no action, I'm calling you all out LETS GO. YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR COMPITITION!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What if you had certain radiation that shows the text message and shout. Like a big circle and anyone in that area could read it and hear it, and people ouside that area woudn't even notice anything. Like tank commands that only your crew can hear.

Woudn't that be simple solution?

thats basically what everybody wanted usage of the local channel for voice commands in the game, thats how it was in the mod ;)

btw

AHZ Two Vehicles Mutator - maps that use them
StugIII G Mutator - maps that use it
Scoped Pickups Mutator - maps that use it
ISU-152 Mutator - maps that use it

^ those things aren't mutators :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well my definition of mutator is a bit different :p

Modifications that run serverside and change default values or abilities of a map/gamemode or whatever i call mutators.

If the game modes are made from the get go with features embedded then its not a mutator but its basically map content, or a new gamemode or whatever. Rather than a mutator.

Like the evilhobo mg mutator that works on all maps and mutates default mg settings of maps to his settings. So in this case the mg's are a mutator.
But on kriegstadt by default the map got modified settings, so you don't need a mutator so get evilhobo's content because its part of the map. So in this case the Mg stuff ain't a mutator as its built into the map itself.

So basically i call mutators those things that end up appearing in the mutators list of a server, that change things from how they were originally put together in a map.
If you call that really a mutator you should at least add all the skins maps use, and basically all files that with custom maps end up in the system folder :X.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As someone completely new to the game take this for what it's worth . . .

It seems a lot of you are lamenting about how to "right the ship" and are posting what you see that has gone wrong. If saving RO means fixing map rotations, mutators, and 24/7, 50 man servers et. al. then so be it.

But, there are going to be, like me, new guys who are going to gravitate to these servers and are going to bring with them all the bad habits (like no teamplay) to these servers causing you vets to roll your eyes and walk away. To say nothing of the laments in the first graph.

I propose that some of you vets get together, post a thread that would spell out which server you want to play on and at what time. Then, us new guys can come in with you and learn the right way. Obviously these can't be the TWB servers. I remember reading how most of you cut your teeth on 2manny's back in the day so maybe a 2manny part II is in order . . . ? Toss out an invite only thread and maybe you guys can groom some new gamers.

I don't really want to join a clan, but I do want to play with mature gamers interested in helping similar gamers get acquainted with this game.

Upvote 0
...People obviously have not used their Steam Community properly either to add friends that they want to play with, just seeing when everyone is on instead of going into an empty server and stay in touch with those in your community is what helps put players in our server - our 10-15 regulars know when we are on and will then join to be with those they know, so start using this feature more instead of looking at the stupid server lists (Which we all know is BUNK)....

Well, I have been trying to check in on 2Manny's, as it happens, it is in the States and I am usually on in the evenings, so it is the logical choice for me. Even if I sit in an empty server waiting for others, it makes sense to do so in one with a low ping instead of one 250+.

But I really don't use the Steam Community, and it probably wouldn't help much at all for me. I usually don't have the luxury to see when everyone else is on and coordinate. For me it is, if I sign on between 8:25PM and 10:05PM on say Tuesday for example, it is because that is when I got a chance during the day to do so, not because I knew that was when everyone else was on. Sometimes I get lucky and others are on, sometimes I don't. Same as some weekends I get to play alot, others I will be lucky to squeeze in an hour...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last time when i said that game should be free (0$), people wanted to kill me.
But TWI will not make much of money from RO anyway...

and look at Americasarmy or War Rock...they arent so visualy pretty, but
they are totally alive because they are free.

And thats the point TWi need to find out where is the point where its benefit more to make it free than keep it chargeable.

Players get alive game and TWi get more players who will maybe buy upcoming TWi relase...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And thats
the complicated thing. You need to got Master card or what ever.
It isnt maybe a big deal to Harcore Gamers who have usedto buy games from
net, but on sunday gamers it sounds complicated and risky.

How's 1997 treating you? Buying stuff over the internet isn't a "hardcore gamer" thing. I agree that they could do a little targeted marketing, but right now the game is being spread by word of mouth, and that can be the best kind of targeted marketing.

Upvote 0