• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kriegstadt Beta 3

Beta 4 will come eventually...a lot of the gameplay changes were made a long time ago, almost immediately after Beta 3 was released. A lot of other stuff is just going to be purely aesthetics...I want to blow more of the map up :D. One might actually see a bit of a performance increase were that to happen, what with the reduction of upper story windows and floors so that's less that needs to be rendered...

I don't know, I'm still tossing around "experimental" ideas for urban map destruction that looks good and is well optimized, and it will come in handy for a CC map I'll be doing ;)

Upvote 0
Just played this map on 50 pc server and forgot how much fun it is :D . Looking forward to beta 4 bud.

Definately a good time. Seems though that the AT guns are less available in the latest version. I think those were helpful, but, lately we havent had a strong Axis side to defend either. There are some key places that need to be held for a good 10 minutes each cause if they get to the bridge, ughhh.

I think Ill force map change it tonight if we get some strong players on the Axis side. It really isnt fun just running over them.

Upvote 0
Map Bug...

Map Bug...

I mentioned to you about an area on the map that warped the graphics something weird. There is a hole in the wall in one of the buildings on the left side when on the Russian side that opens into a hallway that leads to a doorway that you can exit on the far left that is across the street from a cap zones which is a huge building with many windows etc. facing back toward the Russians.

When I came up to this hole the screens graphics showed the same hole to infinity and warped all over the place then after standing just right in front of it I could see the doorway at the end of the hall. I think it's about 3 or 4 zones in, wish I could remember exactly the zone it leads to. It was the zone where Gustav was on the far right just picking everyone off as they came around the bend to try to get into that building and Thyker was picking others off. I mentioned it to you on VOIP when I noticed it but don't know if you heard me talking about it?

Here is picture I captured of the hole but it doesn't represent what you see when you stand in front of this hole it waves all over the place and is pretty psychedelic looking if you catch my drift.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definately a good time. Seems though that the AT guns are less available in the latest version. I think those were helpful, but, lately we havent had a strong Axis side to defend either. There are some key places that need to be held for a good 10 minutes each cause if they get to the bridge, ughhh.

I think Ill force map change it tonight if we get some strong players on the Axis side. It really isnt fun just running over them.

Nah man there are more anti tank guns that spawn in better locations in beta 3. I think the axis have access to three or so on the last cap. You were just fighting a very very weak axis team :D

Upvote 0
Yeah but, I'm lazy. I often end up with a lot of things I want to accomplish but never do, but basically I'm putting a focus on greater immersion. So that means stuff like more destroyed buildings, more believable interiors, and various signs and whatnot to not only aid in making the city feel more real, but also to offer some gameplay hints (for instance, small signs to mark stairwells or buildings like DEUTSCHE BANK and so forth).

Mainly, I want Berlin to change some things in the map to really give the player the feeling of being in the city, and for the city to have an appearance about it that suggested that it was once a lively and thriving place and is now another victim of war, rather than for it to carry more of that "generic city" look.

There are of course a number of tweaks and bug fixes already in place, as well as the new skins for the Russian tanks, and there will probably be some improvements to the player skins but those will mainly be minor details that I left out (such as things on the helmet covers).

I also need to try to find a solution to the minefield issues...

Current progress is at a standstill as I am working to push a map out for CC, so keep your eye on that in the coming weeks. That, and learning 3DS Max so I can hopefully have the skills to produce my own, proper static meshes when I get working on UE3 and my planned future projects.

Upvote 0
There used to be one German server that would have Beta 2 running a while ago, but that's dropped off the face of the planet.

When I get on (evenings, East coast US), Only one or two servers even have map voting enabled. Normally it's the TWB servers, about 4 or 5 of those horrible Arad/Danzig 24/7 servers, and a few high-ping overseas ones, which are often running stock maps or custom-huge-tank maps.

The two servers which appear on a fairly regular basis that both have low ping on the east coast, and have map voting enabled are the Old Fart's server, and 2MANNY's. OF's doesn't have Kriegstadt on the map list recently, and 2MANNY's is tough to get populated. When you've only got 10-15 people on the server, voting for Krieg doesn't make much sense to a lot of people.:(

It's weird, because a lot of people ask for it, but it's never around. I still think someone should set up a Battle of Berlin server that rotates Kriegstadt, Paiserplatz, and Konigsplatz. I probably have the spare cash for a server but have no idea or time about how to manage one.

EDIT: Scratch that looked up some prices and I don't have the cash. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reduced to fight-nights now are we :(

There was a Battle of Berlin server hosted by PZDF but lack of traffic likely meant that it had to be taken down because a 54(!) player server like that was probably a huge financial drain. I do appreciate the effort made though.

Well, I guess you can see here that Kriegstadt is still "hanging in there" as far as custom maps go, when you take in consideration the more played maps are stock maps, map contest maps, customized stock maps (ditto), and huge tank maps.

I guess that's kind of good? I almost feel as though I should conduct an experiment wherein I create massive tank map and put a bunch of heavy late war tanks on it, then see how much it gets played :rolleyes:

I think the time of custom maps is at an end, sad but true.

Upvote 0
We are trying to get folks to start frequenting our server from all the default servers and all the 24/7 servers. Our server has just about everything, except the people to keep it full on a regular basis.

Our server as mentioned earlier is 2Manny's and it is a 40 player server, with 100+ total maps, Armored Beast and EvilHobo mutators, and the CC mod, the server is in the midwest and gives great pings to everyone from EAST to WEST to NORTH to SOUTH for those of us in the United States, it is well admin'ed and usually has many of the most skilled and mature players in the community when it gets filled up.

The key is getting people over to the server ANY evening from 8PM EST and on. For those wanting a challenge by playing some of those skilled players and usually more organized play and the thrill of many of the custom maps and to help by getting the server full just show up any time as I mentioned above after 8PM EST.

Once the server gets around 10-15 real players it usually just takes off and fills up quickly. The biggest problem is people always want to join a full server or near full server because of all the action well if everyone stops by any evening and starts to seed the server it will only start to take off. We have about 10-15 regulars but they only stop by when they see it starts filling so add 10-20 other people from those other servers and show up every night then it will constantly be full as it used to be before the patch was released last year. So anyone reading this get some friends and have them tell their friends and help us fill her up. Look for 2Mannys in your server list.

See you all on the battlefield. Please come join us and make this the one stop shop for all that is good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the time of custom maps is at an end, sad but true.

God, Hobo, I hope you're not right, but I fear that you are in the ballpark. Who wants to spend hundreds of hours now mapping a decent scenario only to get trumped by the 50th version of Arad or the 40,000th hour of Danzig?Sickening and sad at the same time.

Well I'm giving it one orgiastic last try and then I'm probably out :(

Upvote 0