• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop harshing on noobs!

Everyone makes mistakes, even an experienced player on any game or anything. They shouldn't be blamed, just let them get more practice or help them. Instead of complaining just try to enjoy the game, I don't understand most gamers these days, always saying they are the best and whoever got "pwned". It doesn''t matter, people bought the game to have a good time and take their mind off stuff, relax. When someone can say they're sorry, I'll forgive them, but if they don't..I won't forgive them but I wouldn't complain about it either...just a game.

Upvote 0
I couldnt agree with Desch more,
too much lately I see the games vets berating new players, as well as
giving them the old rifle buttstroke to show them how much better they are at the game. I dont understand this at all. Give them a chance guys, they are new just like we were all at one time, help them out, the game relies on new players coming in.

Upvote 0
I'm a longtime gamer (and online FPS gamer as well) but a relatively noob-ish RO player.

Just wanted to put my two cents in and say that I have found that ingame helpful hints and advice from RO vets really do help to foster a better learning environment. I appreciate all the help I have gotten from certain RO vets while playing/learning on the TWB servers.

I love this game! Now if I could just learn to keep my head down!:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
Noob Frustration is always going to be with us

Noob Frustration is always going to be with us

When you play KurlandKessel (is this right map name? This is where the Russians have to get to the trench line after crossing no man's land) as the Russian team, most assuradly there will be a lot of complaints of 'Where's the tank?' or 'Where's the smoke?'. I'm usually yelling about the smoke! :) Noobs in the tank on this map make or break the Soviet assault as well as most of the noobs never, ever stop sniping and get into cap on the hill. This can be one of the most frustrating maps in the game with a whole bunch of rookies who just don't want advice from the so called 'vets'. BaskanValley last night had the Russian's losing with 0 reinforcements compared to German 25% reinforcement levels on TWB Glory! This should never happen! When someone says to be defensive, we are losing on reinforcements, and the noobs yell back to shut up and we heard you already...and then do nothing to change their game play...it's really frustrating if you are someone who wants to win. With the $5 game sale and alienware feature, a lot of players are going to join who bring their Doom style of play and not listen or really care that RO is a different kind of first person shooter. That we get to hunt other, human thinking avatars with iron sights rather than a stupid, pre-programmed AI and auto-targeting systems and icons. Hopefully, after we weed out the individuals who don't get it and get bored, we'll be left with a new batch of highly motivated squadies who are challanged by the high learning curve and really understand that team play and a team victory on RO is a much more rewarding play style. So, meanwhile, there will continue to be a lot of frustrated yelling...cannot be helped. :cool:

Upvote 0

Set up "newb only" server next time and have some official TW people be there to indoctrinate them.

That's a great idea. Tripwire ought to make a training server that Tripwire admins and shows the ropes to the five dollar players; its not my job.

Most of the new players I saw on servers last week were the worst kind. Not only the constant intentional tks, driving tanks in circles in spawn, or new players in critical roles. Even with patient and helpful advice from the experieced players most of the ones I saw joined the maps just to cause grief. There were about 20% who seemed interested in the game and I and others helped them; one of them turned out to be a great team tanker and we cleaned the Russian's clock on Ogledow. Other new players paid attention, were inexperienced but genuinely tried to be good teammates and were fun to be around. There was no shortage of vet players helping new guys in any of the servers I was on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The community will grow stronger via selective survival.
A percentage of new players become regular players, a percentage wont play the game past the satchel suicide and tk phase.

Those new players that enjoy the game for what it is end up strengthening the player base.
The rest become transient gamers passing through the rep dep.:)

Respect is a two way thing as well......and the more experienced players will genuinely help out those with interest imo, those who are looking to leet it up can be sent to the newspaper/ice cream kiosks in Odessa and made eat liquid hydrogen snowcones whilst reading the TWI manual.:D

Upvote 0
I like the $5 deal. New players breaths life into the game. I as a mod player have never really recall harsh treatment. Praised for starting a clan and having faith is a great game. These incidents must be isolated because I have yet to see any baby mamma drama in any of the servers I play at. I and all the fellas I play with always give advice and help to the new players. TK's happen and even as the worlds greatest vet RO player I TK sometimes too.:D Forgive, curse to yourself a little and move on. Its a game and we must be friendly inorder for it to grow. Give a little and get back alot!:)

Upvote 0
I agree on our server we try our best to help anyone who is genuinely interested in the game sure I did see some of the vet players kidding with the newbs with remarks like alt-f4 etc. That will always happen and those that don't know Windows may actually follow some of that dumb advice but by the most part I've seen nothing but good things being said.

We actually need another $5 dollar week instead of weekend or we could have the vet players given a $5 dollar giveaway pass so that we can give them to many of the players who play in those other not so realistic games.

To whoever it was that stated they don't hear anything going on VOIP then you surely haven't played at 2Manny's server I don't think the VOIP is ever silent and you'll always hear orders, zone updates, newb helping, and the occassional BS but we usually will weed that out as we will do with those tking idiots and general children that need to be ousted.

Upvote 0
Lets stick to the Tank newbs here. IF you got someone who really listens chances are they actually really start to realize that you need to angle and whatnot. I had those rare players on several occasions. I drove the tank and told the guy how/what/when. After he understood how to angle we switched roles and it worked very well. Than switched back and so on. Can be very rewarding for them and me since i dont have to worry anymore and so on.

But if you have people that drive the tiger into the russian tanks unangled 4-5 times and than ***** about that the "german tanks are too weak" while you tried to actually tell them that they need to angle...soory so next time i just drove off and leave them behind.

Upvote 0
All thanks to the ones that choose roles they have no idea how to play with and keep ignoring all of the advice they get from others. Everyone has to play to learn and so on, but as BlackLabel said, when some moron keeps driving the tanks like he's playing Carmageddon and ignoring everything you say, it gets pretty frustrating.

Upvote 0
sniper is a magnet for everyone, its usually the first filled slot as soon as the map is loaded, not because of n00bs, but because there is only 1 or 2 at most, I pick it myself whenever I can, even if I don't specially like it, just because I know that it could take months to have that chance again, so I pick it, n00bs or vets, the sniper class will always be full

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem with helping new players with advice and suggestions. I noticed that alot of them respond well and are willing to listen and learn. eventually they get the hang of it and become fine players.

But on the other hand ,I find myself getting a little more short tempered these days when the ones that act like circus clowns show up and ruin our game. The TK-ing In spawn was so bad on a PzDf server the other day a third of the regular players got frustrated and left the battle. there where at least 7 people tk-ing and blowing up there own tanks in spawn,I even got head bashed when I respawned as i was trying to get in a tank and go play.

and I also think that inexperienced players should not be in officer/squad leader positions until they practice and know what to do,because others rely on them for smoke,arty,and their capping power.
if they don't do what they are supposed to,then the whole team suffers and people start getting agitated.

I think that with this influx of new players ,some long time troublemakers are blending in with new names and also causing havoc on some of the servers. Be on the lookout for them,as they have well known bad reputations and have been banned from many servers. Start paying attention to ROID's because that "noob" might just turn out to be an old experienced troublemaker in disguise with a new name.

Upvote 0
No doubt morbius, no doubt.

We caught Z....***** the other day on our server, his new m.o.
seems to be assuming another players name for a moment and spamming racist text across the screen, as well as his normal TKing and other antics.

incase anyone else wants to bann this guy from your servers,
his steam id is 76561197999183514
and his ip address is 75.140.18.167

your best bet is to ip address ban him as he is known to have multiple accounts.

moderaters please let this post as everyone needs to know this.

Upvote 0
of course with getting a norh of new players some of them will just be complete asshats, but with the majority, it is just newbieness to the game. that is the risk you take when pubbing. the reason why people pick on them so much is really just because they are snobs and think too highly of themselves......at least there are still enough good people out there that bring the new guys into the game and help them along....our leader R@zor actually started helping a couple new guys out, then brought them over to the clan server where it wasn't very full to walk them through things....this is the kinda stuff that can be done to help strengthen the community. i forget who all said it but yes "we were all noobs once"....

Upvote 0
No doubt morbius, no doubt.

We caught Z....***** the other day on our server, his new m.o.
seems to be assuming another players name for a moment and spamming racist text across the screen, as well as his normal TKing and other antics.
I do hope you are referring to who I think you are - I could do with some more serious amusement at his expense :)

Upvote 0
When you play KurlandKessel (is this right map name? This is where the Russians have to get to the trench line after crossing no man's land) as the Russian team, most assuradly there will be a lot of complaints of 'Where's the tank?' or 'Where's the smoke?'. I'm usually yelling about the smoke!

I believe you mean Kryukovo.

To post on topic, earlier in the week I was on one of the 50 player servers and noticed a lot of noob bashing notably from players whom I had never seen before nor who were very good on their own part. (The guy most notorious for it failed to achieve status on the scoreboard.) I think a lot of this bashing is coming from egotistical youth who think they're so much more "l337" than everyone else and therefore have to make themselves known at every oppurtunity.

To be honest I think that it occurs more frequently on these heavily populated servers than it does on smaller 32 player or clan servers, due to the fact that it becomes more difficult to control that extra handful of people and things get a little more disorganized and chaotic at times.

Upvote 0
I tend to see this issue with people over reacting on silly things like Friendly fire and the occasional wrong grenade throw. I was however witness to some poor guy who had thrown a grenade in a trench and had killed 5 of his team mates. I knew it was an accident but some didn't. These are mistakes made by anyone and can happen with new people and old to the game itself. People need to think before they start "harshing" the new guy.

Upvote 0