• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We need Jdome support for RO2

its does sound like he says "gaydome" a number of times in that vid, immaturities aside i agree with xen but also he's a little scary with his facial expressions.

The whole thing is basically 1 big "please send me money" I'm sure if his patent was that good someone like sony would have snapped him or it up by now.

Upvote 0
its does sound like he says "gaydome" a number of times in that vid, immaturities aside i agree with xen but also he's a little scary with his facial expressions.

The whole thing is basically 1 big "please send me money" I'm sure if his patent was that good someone like sony would have snapped him or it up by now.
This guy found a new innovative way in which the Wii-mote could be used but Nintendo hasn't snapped up him (or his idea) as far as I know...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

...and yes is does sound like 'gay dome' sometimes :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It doesn't really work. The image is BADLY distorted near the edges. The game would need some special projection, which would have to be done in software or pixel shader level :d

Yeah it looks like it fisheye's a bit, though its hard to tell, when the camera (very rarely) looks at the thing dead on it looks pretty ok, hard to say how this would be percived if you actually had your head in the thing.

But for this to really work, games would have to have support for something similar to the "Omnimax" format.

This guy found a new innovative way in which the Wii-mote could be used but Nintendo hasn't snapped up him (or his idea) as far as I know...

That might also be because he has basically just recreated the Naturalpoint Track-IR 6-DOF system, as patented by Naturalpoint yonks ago, not much of an innovation there then ;)

Upvote 0
I don't really care, but the increased FOV needed to make it work is considered cheating in RO, which is why the appropriate console command is locked online.
As far as I can tell that's the only thing this j-dome thing needs to be supported.

So I'd say you won't ever be able to play RO with a j-dome since it's not a technical problem but a concious design choice to ensure a level field of play (whatever you might think about it) that is holding it back.

To be honest I can't really see what's supposed to be so innovative about the thing. VR simulators are around for quite a while now and from huge screens and simulated cockpits over special goggles and special goggles with head-tracking to full projections on every wall of a room, everything has been done before and is being used and this jdome hardly sticks out as something particularily useful.

Upvote 0
meh..

maybe when/if the jDome becomes main stream / fairly common H/W.. which it probably won't tbh.. I'd hve to have a dedicated space seperate from my computer to use this sucker.. and not to many people will be able to do that... hence I see sales of the jDome to be very low.. even if they can get the price-tag down to a few hundred dollars..

and I certainly hope that that $6k price tag includes the projector and a life-time supply of bulbs for it (which if you haven't ever used them, are pretty expensive last I checked. )

Where I can see something like this really being useful is for the flight-sim crowd. no longer do I have to have 3-6 monitors to get a similar level of immersion.

Upvote 0
It would be nice if Tripwire would support this superb gaming experience called the Jdome.

I know TW is short on manpower,, but just take an hour and contact them.
It could mean a huge selling point for RO2.

Greetingz, Monk.

Hi Guys! Sounds like an excellent idea! ;-)

It isn't hard to get your mod a jDome logo (I'm working on those) provided you have an option which changes the FOV to between 120-140 (a slider?)and which moves the HUD-elements towards the center of the screen and makes them smaller.

In return I'll post you as one of the first modders for jDome with logo and the works, and after the Dreamhack event this weekend where I'll show off jDome I'm sure it'll generate a lot of traffic to your site.

And does it work? - You don't have to take my bad english for it anymore - check out what others say!

What say you?

Upvote 0
It doesn't really work. The image is BADLY distorted near the edges. The game would need some special projection, which would have to be done in software or pixel shader level :d

Xendance, think again. What you see is the camera guys view - not the gamers view. All that "distortion" is in the gamers peripheral view and since you arent looking there - it will not pose a problem - however - the sense of immersion is great!

But don't take my word for it - check the response above with jDome's first Public Test.

I'm off to Dreamhack this weekend - will any of you attend and can try out the jDome first hand?

Upvote 0
I don't really care, but the increased FOV needed to make it work is considered cheating in RO, which is why the appropriate console command is locked online.
As far as I can tell that's the only thing this j-dome thing needs to be supported.

So I'd say you won't ever be able to play RO with a j-dome since it's not a technical problem but a concious design choice to ensure a level field of play (whatever you might think about it) that is holding it back.

To be honest I can't really see what's supposed to be so innovative about the thing. VR simulators are around for quite a while now and from huge screens and simulated cockpits over special goggles and special goggles with head-tracking to full projections on every wall of a room, everything has been done before and is being used and this jdome hardly sticks out as something particularily useful.

Hm, THAT is a problem if RO doesn't allow changing of the FOV. I guess you need special jDome-only sessions for that, but if you make a mod, your game will be ready.

The innovative thing is that it is cheap and easily foldable and uses off the shelf hardware and software (provided you can change the FOV that is).

Upvote 0
He must have copied his idea from Gundam's P.O.D. (panoramic optical display) -

arcade-dome.jpg
gundam-arcade-5.jpg
dome2.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7g-uzHufc

Last edited:
Upvote 0