• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The 3 RO mods

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
All 3 big RO mods are released, and I think they are a really nice addition to sock ROOST. And I just want to say congratulations to you all.

However, all mod teams claimed that they were limited by a small team of developers. We also see this in the rather long development time. So this leads me to the question: what would have happened if the 3 mod teams would have joined in 1 team, making 1 mod instead of 3 separate mods?
I think we would have seen a mod of (even) higher quality, released earlier.
Also, weapons like the thompson were developed twice in two mods, this seems such a waste of time?

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
In the beginning there were 2 mods. A group of developers broke off of one project to start a different one. Different people with different visions of what they wanted to accomplish led to 3 projects. From a purely academic standpoint you are correct, there was a lot of duplicated effort and teams are spread thin. Unfortunately real life is a little more complicated...

Upvote 0
If you just look at numbers then yes one dedicated team would have produced a better made MOD in less time.

However it would of been impossible. Everyone wants to cover different things and everyone has different goals. Someone wouldn't commit 18 months of work into something they aren't interested in.

I also feel people's egos come into it a little bit. Some people feel that the work they are making is superior to others and they don't need help from other people. It's just the way it is :p

I'm pretty amazed that all 3 MODs made it to a release. The majoirty of MODs for most games fail for some reason or another so to have 3 fairly large MODs release for RO shows the dedication these modders have had over 2 years or so.

Upvote 0
If you just look at numbers then yes one dedicated team would have produced a better made MOD in less time.

i disagree. The people involved in the different mods are way to different.
Imo it would be questionable if a mod from a team incolving all modders would even have been released.

Even if you disregard personal issues, larger teams means more organisational work. And to conclude: "9 women wont give birth to one baby in 1 month" ;)

Upvote 0
Imo it would be questionable if a mod from a team incolving all modders would even have been released.

Even if you disregard personal issues, larger teams means more organisational work. And to conclude: "9 women wont give birth to one baby in 1 month" ;)

but 20 mappers can make 20 maps, as IMO, the only real problem that Mare Nostrum has is the lack of maps, only 4 maps, (3 of them playable), but for now, it seems to be the most solid mod to date.

Upvote 0
but 20 mappers can make 20 maps, as IMO, the only real problem that Mare Nostrum has is the lack of maps, only 4 maps, (3 of them playable), but for now, it seems to be the most solid mod to date.

I couldn't agree with you more on that one.MN is the best mod out there and no one plays it, yea there are only 4 maps, but it did just come out and when the El Alamain map is released it will as much fun as the other ones.I would like to see the M-5 added to MN as that is where it belongs.

Upvote 0

Like I said if you're just looking at numbers then one large MOD team would out perform three smaller teams.

However like you say there are a lot of other factors that show it probably wouldn't work. For starters it would be very difficult for one MOD to succeed with too many conflicting personalities. People like to work in a particular way and tend to stay in those groups where their work ethic fits the best. That's what I've picked up having seen two of the MOD groups at work.

My personal work ethic is called lazy and I've yet to find a real home where that is appreciated :D:p:D

Upvote 0
some people mod just because they like modding and the scenario they do without further interest of "getting in the industry" or similar. At least thats been the case for me, if it wouldnt, a WinterWar mod would have been more likely.

The 3 completely different regions of the mods show pretty well that interests were different among the mod teams. At least i wouldnt have given up "my" stuff to work on something im interested in only a little or not at all...

Upvote 0
Source Code Control

Source Code Control

The next maturation we may see if it can be funded and organized is a library of shared code in a source code control environment. Something like a napster for RO where proven and tested widgets can be shared. You may see an exponential growth of new maps and mods. Downside, the modders and mappers would have to give up some freedom and follow the rules, possibly turning off creativity and push people away. There may be a happy medium but who knows. Three mods released is an achievement and is a testimonial to the fans of realism based, first person, online shooters that TW nailed on the head with the RO game.

Upvote 0