• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] Critical errors and GPFs

soralapio

Jun 9, 2008
I just bought Red Orchestra for myself and also as a gift for a few buddies. Unfortunately while most of us can run the game just fine, a slightly computer illiterate relative is having some bad problems.

The game crashes on every attempt to play it. Sometimes during the main menu, sometimes immediately after entering a sub menu. The error messages sometimes vary, but this is the most common (and the one he sent me).

I've tried reinstalling, I've tried deleting cache, I've tried disabling prefetching, I've tried scanning the HD, I've run Memtest86, I've tried defragging. I've even tried reinstalling Windows. Nothing helps. Here's his crash message:

Code:
Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 1816 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS  (7516)

General protection fault!

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::Present <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 0012FF18 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

His system is a Windows XP Pro with SP3 installed. GeForce 6800 Golden Sample, 1 gig of DDR333, onboard AC97 sound.

Here's hoping someone has some ideas.

We've already tried verifying the local files and even reinstalling the game, so no help there. I can't change any settings, because the game crashes even when I click configuration (or even Help).

The drivers should already be the latest possible, since I reinstalled Windows and downloaded everything again, but I guess there's no harm in trying that again. Does someone at least know what part of the machine / game the error message points at?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welp, installing the june 2008 version of DX9 did not help.

Code:
 Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 1811 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS  (7516)

General protection fault!

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::Present <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 0012FF18 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0