• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop harshing on noobs!

D-Es-C-H

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2006
I just got off a server and I have to ask: what the hell is up with the way some older players talk to newer players?

I first got this game when the retail version was new, and I don't recall encountering this level of snobbery from people who played the mod. Instead, people were friendly, invited me to compete in a tournament, and afterward invited me to join a clan.

If I had encountered this kind of hostility at the start, I seriously doubt I would have kept playing.

I understand when people get upset about kids TKing and screwing around. That upsets me too. But harshing on people just because they're new? Come on.

Being an experienced Red Orchestra player is no great distinction in life, believe me. So go easy.

End of rant.

I don't think that's any different than it was in the mod days. Some were really asshats when it came to new players and often kicked/banned them if they accidently team killed few times.

Yep im new and it happened to me yesterday. Love the game though so i will just put it down to a bad experience.

Bit pissed off with some of the comments from within the game though:mad:

Upvote 0
I think there's two main problems:

1.) Because of the smaller player-base, we were getting used to a low-noob environment.
2.) A good portion of the veteran players had no idea there was a $5 weekend and that there was a large number of new players.

For example, I knew there were a lot of newbies, so I started telling them the best routes to caps on Zhitomir. And some guy comes on and starts telling me off like "we've been playing this long enough we know where to go. Shut up dude", not realizing the server was full of new players.

Although I have been getting VERY frustrated, as the amount of ridiculous mass TKs by satchel has definitely spiked. As have the number of jerks who are purposely TKing because "I don't care I only paid $5, it's fun to TK!"

I think we should spread the good old advice: stick to a bolt rifle untill you know what's going on. You're FAR less likely to get yelled at (and cause your team grief) if you're a newb rifleman than if you're a newb MGer, sniper, or god forbid, squad leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neo_Prime
Upvote 0
NEW RO Players

NEW RO Players

Well Said DEsSH !! We were all new to RO once, when I first stated playing this game, there were those who bashed and those who helped out....I remember the ones who helped out and the servers that were friendly. This past weekend, with the discount...RO for 5$..what a deal, I found loads of new players asking questions, I tried my best to help out and extent my personal welcome to RO. So to those who are new to RO..welcome to the best game...value for money and game experence.

Upvote 0
Ive got alot of sympathy for newbies and think that we can be a rather unfriendly lot- having said that it is rather inconsiderate when people turn up and take key roles without having played the game before. Before I first went online I played around with each of the classes against bots- particularly tanks so that I had some idea of what to do.

Simply put there are some classes that if you play badly you can cripple the team and will get yelled at for it, regardless of newness.

Upvote 0
For 5 bucks, you're going to get a lot of people interested in this game. I haven't played RO in almost a year, some of the guys I play ArmA with mentioned it was down to 5 bucks, ever since my Uber pals [13th... - Haven't clanned this game in a while I've found it completely unnecesary to play it, although, due to this price drop of 5 unicorn bones, I was somewhat tempted to strike up a game in a pub server and just go kill crazy...

I used to be one of those dickheads that would be completely rude to the new kids, but in all cases, this community is really small, in lieu of that, and the fact that there is NO GOOD WW2 based shooters out there anymore, this dinosaur is one of the last, by very little...Which leads me to say this:

Its better to just coach the newb throughout the game, hell, have him follow you and learn how to play the damn thing, maybe you'll see more fans in the game and community, and heck...maybe upgrade the damn thing for us old RO dudes so that we can come back and have some fun again!

-Thank you dev's for making it almost free for Steam, I hope there is still a future in this game.

Upvote 0
Well, I think that the bashing of the newer players is because the vets have pride in this game and value it too much to let it go down the drain because of some idiots who think that commanding a tank gives them a right to blow up their the rest of their team's tanks because they want to reserve all the action for themselves. Now while their rants may be understandable, it's not always justified. Their are two knids of newbs: Those who blew off $5 for a few TK's and laughs and think they are "1337" because they finally got a kill w/ a rifle while not using iron-sight, and those newbs who are genuinley interseted in this game and are willing to learn the ropes to have a rewarding experience during the process and in the future. Most of us are were probably the 2nd kind and that's why we still play today. I think that vets should spot the newbs of the rotten sort and take disciplinary action on them quickly and without much bashing to let them know that this is a serious community. To those who want to learn, you should give them some leeway and help them learn new classes and let them make mistakes, because we all have made them before. I'd say that a hardened and strategic member on my team later is worth a couple of lost battles now. Mabe a couple of clans could host private games for the wave of newcomers where serious newbs sign up and vets show the newbs how things get done and have a couple of newb on newb skirmishes. Just my two cents ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's useless coming to rant on these forums about this. That's because most vets who are regulars here are the ones who help out newbies, providing guidance where needed.

It's that other section of "vets" who are either 1. Impatient basterds who have no sense of "community" or 2. Not actually veterans at all.

Understand that I recognise how you feel but I just thought that this needed pointing out.

Regards,
Jono

Upvote 0