• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield: Bad Company

Well we PC gamers are getting Team Battlefield Fortress (Heroes.........pfft whatever:rolleyes:) and its completely free.

Aye, we are, but it's hardly going to feature any of this Frostbite engine tech. Even if BF3 turns out to be a totally arcade flop, I hope game devs will recognize this new engine and start making more realistic games on it; it really seems like a great engine to build a infantry sim on, at least when considering terrain and building damage.

Upvote 0
Aye, we are, but it's hardly going to feature any of this Frostbite engine tech. Even if BF3 turns out to be a totally arcade flop, I hope game devs will recognize this new engine and start making more realistic games on it; it really seems like a great engine to build a infantry sim on, at least when considering terrain and building damage.

PR with the frostbite engine would kick a**!

Upvote 0
Dunno, Frostbite doesn't seem "revolutionary" at all. Building destruction is just blowing up preset locations. Same can be achieved even in RO with some triggers. Also about "environment" destruction, just look at ArmA. Heck, even PR managed to create some destructible buildings in BF2.

To me, it's just a beefed up BF2 engine.

Upvote 0
No Rak, from what I've seen the building damage in frostbite is much more dynamic, not preset parts blown away. Even if you try to make very simple destructible buildings in RO (like: one mover for every wall) it will eat up performance, be very awkward to do and look pretty ****ty. And ArmA only has a two damage status for every building afaik (intact-destroyed). Terrain deformation on the other hand is not so hard to do apparently, even Magic Carpet had it.

For me, these kind of improvements are much more important than new bump mapping, new shaders or an increase of the characters' weapon polycount from 400 to 1000.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just had a play of the demo(PS3), tried the singleplayer and it was pretty much what i expected a fairly decent and fun/arcadey console shooter.

A few annoyances are the slightly strange controls, the camera seems zoomed (ala right clicking on most FPS) making it look wrong and finally why is it so grainy? Im playing at 720p on a pc monitor thats native res is 1680 x1080 so im used to a slightly blurry image but this is just annoying.

Oh and I was gonna try multiplay which judging from the singleplayer would be quite fun but I cant connect to EA Online.....

|Edit: Managed to get online and its pretty fun, just your standard BF gameplay but with defense/attacking objectives, so while its not revolutionary it was quite fun. The destructable environments are pretty good to and the inclusion of it in the game is more than just a gimmick, it adds another dimension to the fights and as you can expect its cool to blow holes in walls :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea I don't like the zoomed and grainy look either but its not game breaking. Demos are always a little laggy but the full game should be fine as is usually the case. I think I'm going to consider buying this heavily.

I must say though that some of the weapons have exactly the same stats simply to be perfectly balanced between the sides and I'm not liking the fully auto M16 with 50 round mag (all assault rifles have 50 rounds...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0