• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day of Defeat - Discussion thread

Pretty much all of what you say is wrong and I could easily prove that, but tbh. I don't bother anymore. Really no more sense in bringing up the same facts over and over again when people just ignore them and only view their own reality in which they have to bash games for whatever weird reasons.

Mate, you should know better by now. I don't know why you waste your time trying to argue with people here, as all your up against is a bunch of 'elitists' who have no interest in any games other than a small handful that was released back in '99 and RO.

That is of course if they still play it, it seems they spend most of their time here, complaining about games!

Upvote 0
Ahhh the DoD thread. Always comes down to a comparison with RO.

We all know how good DoD used to be, and we all know that it is now a generic shadow of its former self. And we also know that RO does not have the universal appeal of a generic ww2 shooter. So why bother arguing about it?

And as for

a bunch of 'elitists' who have no interest in any games other than a small handful that was released back in '99 and RO

What you should say is
"a bunch of grumpy gamers with a vested interest in gaming, and who remember things used to be and who are quite bitter about the current state of PC gaming on the whole"

Right?

Upvote 0
Mate, you should know better by now. I don't know why you waste your time trying to argue with people here, as all your up against is a bunch of 'elitists' who have no interest in any games other than a small handful that was released back in '99 and RO.

Yes, because everyone knows that having a different opinion or taste than yours makes you an elitist.

Infact i've taken to wearing a tophat and a monacle when posting here, and a cape, and i've even grown a long twirly moustache.
No really, this is what i look like thease days:
Elitist.jpg

It just comes natural when you are such an elite example of humanity as i am, because i like to play a certain kind of games, i am just so amazingly elite i must now hug myself.
Illustrations kindly donated by Yahtzee.. without his knowledge.

I wonder how many players RO has (active) then... I can find more populated servers for DODS than for RO atm..

Sadly, i think we all know that RO is not doing so well as of late, infact saying that it has one foot in the gave might be an understatement, but i think we all saw that comming when it became apparent that there would be no more updates.
I lament that it does not have good offline play, that would have been nice around now..

But i don't hear any RO players boasting about how well it is doing, do you?

Ahhh the DoD thread. Always comes down to a comparison with RO.

We all know how good DoD used to be, and we all know that it is now a generic shadow of its former self. And we also know that RO does not have the universal appeal of a generic ww2 shooter. So why bother arguing about it?

And as for
xxxxxxxxxxxx

What you should say is
"a bunch of grumpy gamers with a vested interest in gaming, and who remember things used to be and who are quite bitter about the current state of PC gaming on the whole"

Right?

Stop making sense right this instance Sheepdip! can't you see that you are interrupting the natural flow of bile? you have befowled this holy place with LOGIC! this will not stand!

Dont make me twirl my moustache and form the hand pyramid of evil contemplation, i swear i'll do it!

Upvote 0
That's not what I said. I said you can't call it a failure. People have different tastes. I personally don't like it (haven't played since the update though) and I personally don't like The Sims either, it doesn't make them failures as long as there are enough people who disagree. As it seems now, DODS will still be played when RO is gone and the game came even out earlier. So how does that sound for a failure?

Upvote 0
Well it failed to improve on the original, badly! It failed to keep its community together and lost a tonne of players! Sure there are loads of kids out there still enjoying it, but thats nothing to write home about!

I personally wouldnt go as far as saying its a failure. But it has failed in all the areas important to keeping me & a shed load of others playing!

RO still has the next installment on UE3 to come so lets discuss RO's doom when that happens!

Upvote 0
Well it failed to improve on the original, badly! It failed to keep its community together and lost a tonne of players! Sure there are loads of kids out there still enjoying it, but thats nothing to write home about!

I personally wouldnt go as far as saying its a failure. But it has failed in all the areas important to keeping me & a shed load of others playing!

RO still has the next installment on UE3 to come so lets discuss RO's doom when that happens!
And this is why people like you are being called elitists. Why do you have to be so arrogant? Why are DoD:S players kids? You like RO and probably some other games too, other people like for example DoD:S. I mean you really don't have to like DoDS(and obviously dont do) - it doesn't make much of a difference to me or anyone else - but don't insult the people playing it. I've been playing RO mod for a long time and RO:Ostfront since it was released. I really was a hardcore realism gamer back then and I can remember how I was defending RO back 2 years ago. I've also played DoD since the betas - to be honest though the first time I played it was a very early beta and I was still very young too - it was too hard for me back then with bleeding etc. But that was really only because it was too complex and I was too young. I actively played DoD when it went retail and before. And hell I really loved that game. When DoD:S came out I first loved it too, but when RO:Ostfront came out I totally changed my mind. So during my RO hardcore fanboy time(you'll probably even find some of my old posts here) I also really bashed DoD:S. I actually got banned once or twice from the DoD:S forums. I simply didn't want to accept what they did to my old DoD and that it's not as realistic/authentic as it could be. Because for me DoD 1.3 and previous versions were very intense ww2 games, whereas I have to agree DoD:S is more of a FPS with an additional ww2 setting. However I actually never stopped playing DoD:S. Because as time went I just found out that all the bashing doesn't serve any purpose and just took it the way it was. It's a different game - and while I would also have liked a DoD 1.3 on source engine instead of DoD:S - I just accepted it as what it was and had fun with it. Custom maps for example are the biggest plus of DoD:S, without them I would've stopped playing it long enough. But the game keeps me coming back, what basically means that it has something special. WW2-atmosphere like of course it however is nowhere near the old DoD 1.3.

So, what I want to tell you: You can bash the game. You shouldn't. But if you really have to, for whatever reason, then do so. I don't care about that anymore, because in the end it's not my problem. But don't insult the players. You are nothing better than them and they are nothing better than you. Saying the average CS or DoD:S player is a 13 year old idiot is like saying the average RO player is a 35 year old bitter man.
If you don't keep this respect then you are not going to be respected either. And that will sure have consequences. So in order to cool down the situation a bit: Everybody show some more respect please and don't show so much emotion, there are much more important things then discussing this to death. :)

Upvote 0
You should use paragraphs seriously!

I was a hardcore DOD player and was an active clan member. But DODS destroyed the whole thing, and Im still pretty upset about that!

About the kids comment, I can confidently say the majority of people Ive met online, during the brief hours of play time I could bare, were young ie ~18 or younger.

Its not really an insult, but RO usually has a more mature crowd who arent interested in playing something that resembles Counter Strike!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not that much interested in DoD to begin with, but my opinion has allways been that 'if a sequel gets changed from the original, it sucks'.
No matter if it is actually an improvement or not.

You see, there are allways the old fans who feel wronged, and thatll lead to discussions such as this.
Personally, i allways favor the old fans, because it was 'their' game that got 'stolen' from them, the fans of the new iteration wont care.

My thoughts are allways such that if a developer wishes to move to a new direction with the gameplay, they should move to a new title too, instead of sticking to the old titles.
I couldve enjoyed Vegas for example, if it hadnt been named Rainbow Six, just for the simple ethics of it having that name wich it just does not deserve.
The same thing is going on here.
My 2 cents.

Upvote 0
About communities and RO's one to be a better place to stay than others:
That might have been the case back in the days of the mod where everybody knew everybody - and great days that were, despite (because of?) the low player-count which always seems to bother people - but if the average pubbers in Ostfront are really mature then I don't think that attribute is something to aspire to, to be honest.:(
I never played DoD:S but I played Counterstrike: Source a bit (maybe ten hours in total) and the people I met there were generally friendly folks who took the time to give tips to newbies. Surprised me a bit since I also played the old CS a bit...:p I think if you stick to servers with reasonable names you can have a good time with the game.

The point is, don't generalize. And don't look at RO as an online game with a low a

Last edited:
Upvote 0
New update:
Day of Defeat: Source Beta
  • Added Steamworks stats
  • New team identifier icons as rewards for completing achievements - 1 per class achievement, and 1 for completing all achievements
  • Added cvar dod_friendlyfiresafezone - units around the player where they will do no direct damage on FF on servers ( default 100 units )
  • Dropping a weapon in the spawn and changing class will now fizzle out the dropped weapon
  • Fixed unducking while jumping potentially getting you stuck in the roof
  • Player model fixes to address the 'left peek' issue
  • Fixed kb_act default binding for large map being broken
  • Marked r_screenfademinsize and r_screenfademaxsize as cheats
  • Players now respawn even if they have the class menu up - changing class will respawn them instantly now
  • Fixed "Don't Tread On Me" achievement triggering off of bomb defuses
  • Fixed long range rocket achievement being awarded when you kill an ironsight k98 or garand
  • Fixed picking up an mg42 with an empty clip playing the wrong animation
  • Achievement progress now stored in steam
  • Added more default crosshairs
  • Adjusted scoreboard to make the local player a bit more readable

Upvote 0