• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

Some of the ideas here are really good. I think that if it were possible to combine all 3 of the major mods into a new version of the game call it "Red Orchestra: Theater" or something like that get all the modders names in the manual for street cred and then fish this story out to all the blogs and game magazines as a "see we help our own" kind of story. I would buy the game again if it had all the mods all worked in. I think this would satisfy some of the things others have pointed out like a map not officially being blessed by TWI. Which is understandable to a point but also very limiting to the players experience which brings me back to these servers that rotate stock maps or a few proven customs. They should start working in other maps for a weeks rotation in their list. This would allow it to catch on with people.

Upvote 0
Personally, I think RO is in a long slow unstoppable decline. It has reached its saturation point; nearly every realism nut on the web has played it, and is slowly becoming bored of it/waiting for the mods, most mainstream gamers who might have got into it are now playing CoD4 or TF2, were turned off by the realism when they tried it, or are now realism nuts.

The mods may be able to revive the community for awhile, what with new stuff every few months, but how long can this go on with the limbo of not knowing when the next TWI game is coming out? What if it comes out in August 08 meaning nearly everybody will migrate to the new game (if it's RO2 ofcourse) effectively ****ting all over the modders hard work, or if it comes out in December 09 meaning the modders can get some really cool stuff in their mods and build up a decent fanbase.

Upvote 0
Every time I log onto TWB "Red Dawn" CC server, it's empty. :mad:

Same thing for European servers.

I can join Red Dawn every day for an hour and refuse to connect to other two saturated/boring TWB servers out of protest, but it'll be a fairly quiet hour from what I've seen. I guess people love their boring Arad/Danzig/Lyeskrovy rotation; if that's the case, the RO community will deserve whatever it gets.

Upvote 0
I think the hard core realism guys mostly left, why Danzig and Arad are popular. Those are so over done you can play them in your sleep, become more of a just fart around for 30 min game.

While there are new mods out, how you get to play them with no one playing them. Haven't had the chance to try a CC map yet as haven't see one running when I log.

And even with the mods, so many of the old game quirks that anoyed you and/or wore you down on the game are still around. After coming back after almost a year, took me a min with the MG to go "oh yeah, MG clipping still an issue" (where you setup and easily look clear of obstructions, but your shots get buried into an invisable wall instead). The no recoil SMG also came back quickly and the team stacking.. oh yeah. Had that complete with the 'OWNED!!!" spam on chat after the team with 50% more players wins (that goes with the old hard core guys leaving). Stuff like that has me waiting for RO2 if it comes.

T.

Upvote 0
I currently do not own RO Yet, but i plan on it, im an DOD player from way back and built a new machine entirely for Darkest hour and RO, however Lurking the forums here i have noticed alot of these threads,.

The bottom line is i really dont want to shell out the money for a game that there are no populated servers for.

Are these threads basically saying that there are no populated servers based in the Northest US?

or would i have better luck finding filled servers with forgotten hope or forgotten hope 2?

Upvote 0
there are populated servers, but we, the people who make those threads, have been playing the game for 4 years now, and the servers that are populated usually run sets of maps that we have already played to death, there are a lot of good fan made maps that are not being played and are being forgotten because the admins of those servers don't want to use them, so we are forced to play the same (20)? maps again and again, now we are trying to set up a server that adapt to our needs and we'll try to populate it, but this is not much of your concern until you've played for at least 1 year or so, so I don't think you should worry about this yet.

Upvote 0
In North America the server situation is pretty thin right now. There are 50 player servers (and 24/7 AraDanzig) that suck up, almost entirely, the casual player base. It's hard to explain to someone who hasnt played the game before, but if you enjoy close up SMG spraying on tiny to medium sized maps where around every corner, regardless of how remote or irrelevant, some guy is lying prone looking for easy kills, totally disregarding the point of the game ...if that sounds like good gameplay to you, then you might like 50's. It's deathmatch basically; killing becomes the focus. Those types of servers are available daily. On weekends the choices are somewhat better depending on time of day.

The last couple of days I've had to play way out on the ITAK italian server with a 170-180 ping because there havent been any decent games elsewhere. I'm in California. I tried seeding 2Manny's with a few other guys last night.. we loaded up Carpathian Crosses - seemed like about an hour went by and no one joined. Then we cleared out. Weekdays are rough, though I don't know how or if things change late at night. When I'm on it's usually 3pm PST till about 7 or 8pm PST.. during those times it's a total barren wasteland.

Upvote 0
where around every corner, regardless of how remote or irrelevant, some guy is lying prone looking for easy kills, totally disregarding the point of the game ...

THIS is one of if not THE biggest pet-peeves I have about some of the pub servers. It feels so ridiculous to get killed by someone whos prone in a corner spinning around in a spot that it makes ZERO tactical sense to be. They basicaly just go for the "Gotcha!" kills, before they're immediately naded/shot by someone who knows what they're doing. I hate walking around a corner and..."oh someone's sitting three inches to the left of the door with an MG42 looking for easy kills".

The people who do that need to learn the joy of locking down an entire courtyard with an MG. The irony is that the "easy kill" style of gameplay will often get you far less kills than a more tactical "harder" style.

I tried seeding 2Manny's with a few other guys last night.. we loaded up Carpathian Crosses - seemed like about an hour went by and no one joined. Then we cleared out. Weekdays are rough, though I don't know how or if things change late at night. When I'm on it's usually 3pm PST till about 7 or 8pm PST.. during those times it's a total barren wasteland.

I feel for you here. I only get to play anymore around 7-8 or maybe around 10PM eastern time. It's rough. 2MANNY's is my preferred server IF I can find other people to get in there and play. Keep on seeding, and fight the good fight.:eek:

Upvote 0

DH is gonna be fun for sure, but for a short time unfortunately.

@Zetsumei

I havent replied on the RO:L forum but there are good mixed maps to be played with 50 players.
I remember that you set up a couple of months ago some MinionWork maps and that was awesome.

I just realized that I havent seen one of those maps played in ages :(

Well for now
13 days to go ... :D

Upvote 0
I didn't read every post made.....:eek:
Some quick thoughts.....

If everyone that posted made and honest effort to play on a given server at the same time 3 or 4 times per week, you'd find other people that play during that time frame will soon join in. If you need more than your wits to make the game more enjoyable, perhaps its already dead for you. Once the parade passes by, the trinkets passed out quickly lose their luster. (Please. I do not intend to demean the hours of hard work put in by the modders with that remark. My point is that it is not the guns, the uniforms, the tanks, etc. that make RO. Its the gameplay and the immersion. Once you get bored with the gameplay, all of the new guns and vehicles, etc in the world aren't going to hold your attention for very long.)

While we are on the subject of attention, I still don't get the attention deficit most online gamers seem to have. Learn to take the good with the bad. We can't all play the maps we like all the time. We can't all play with people that play like we do all the time. If you enjoy the game and ultimately its something you like to spend your free time doing, make a few sacrifices every now and then so that the opportunity to have those awesome battles has a chance to occur. If you can't stand the servers, start a new one. Its not that expensive. Then complain about the choices. Its not the server's fault. If no one enjoyed what the server offered, no one would play there. Censor a server because it "ruins" the game? And it stays full? The logic fails me.

24-50 players? IMO, its not the numbers that matter, its the players that make the game. I realize that some maps don't play well with large numbers, just as some maps don't play well with low numbers. No sense crying about it. Its gonna happen. If that ruins the game for you, I sorry you feel that way. Its all about give and take. That goes for any game, any where.

I play every night on a full or almost full server. Many known players and many new players. Sure, there are a couple of nights a week that things are slow, but my family enjoys my company every now and then too.

Ironically, I was just thinking the other night about how sad it will be when the mappers move on. I understand its a difficult task to create a good map. To all mappers, I applaud your efforts and thank you for your time. I have spent and enjoyed many an hour playing your creations. Imo, it is you that have kept the game fresh. I thank you for sharing your skills with us and beg all of you to do one more map (for the old times ;) ).

So as for the poll, I'd have to go with #2. (Or anything involving new maps.) The bells and whistles don't make the game more enjoyable for me. Its a well designed map that pits foe vs foe (single and team) that does it for me. Sure, the new toys are nice. But in and of themselves, they grow tiresome. The ability to pit teamwork against teamwork using different scenarios while utilizing all the assets available is the key, imo.

As a player, your mileage will vary. I understand and appreciate that. But I'm not so selfish as to expect you to do things my way all the time. I'll scratch your back, if you attempt to help me scratch mine.

Floyd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent post Floyd!

What will save this game is a little give and take coupled with a less elitist/exclusive attitude from 'some' members of the community. In particular the ones who say " I know what I'm talking about " and " I don't want to play with less sophisticated players "

Give and take people, we all have fun in our own way and there is no right or wrong way to play a game as long as you play within the rules ;)

Edit: As Floyd has already said, if the servers are full then they are doing something right. If you don't like that 'something' then it is you with the issue, not your favourite game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As Floyd has already said, if the servers are full then they are doing something right. If you don't like that 'something' then it is you with the issue, not your favourite game.
Well, not necessarily.

The servers are full of gamers who are used to playing deathmatch games, which is why Danzig is successfully run 24/7. The problem with this is that RO was not conceived of as a deathmatch game; others are better for that.

Ironically, there are no consistantly successful servers for gamers (new and old) who prefer a tactical, "regular" RO game. The reason is because, while the number of tactical players is probably equal to the number of DM players, there are probably 30 times more "regular" RO servers. If people want DM, they know where to go.

There are two options:
1) Force the DM players and the DM servers to play the game how it should be played.
2) Let them be, and the rest of us come together on some common servers. (I personally prefer 2MANNY'S).

Upvote 0
(Come to the [50pc] server. Full almost every night...Central US :D )

The fact that the DM guys fill up a 50 man server is irrelevant to the downfall of RO. While "forcing" them to play in a true RO style might (and in all likelyhood will) bring some of them around to RO's true intent, it might also (and in all likelyhood will) drive some away. We gotta get them here to have the numbers to pick and choose from. If we're on those "horrible" servers, lets try and help them see the light by playing with teamwork. If we lose our patience, rather than rant on someone's server about how it should be, we should move to another .

I'm simply suggesting that your #2 option is where its at. But while we are amongst our "less informed" brethren, we should lead by example.

Upvote 0
Well, not necessarily.

The servers are full of gamers who are used to playing deathmatch games, which is why Danzig is successfully run 24/7. The problem with this is that RO was not conceived of as a deathmatch game; others are better for that.

Ironically, there are no consistantly successful servers for gamers (new and old) who prefer a tactical, "regular" RO game. The reason is because, while the number of tactical players is probably equal to the number of DM players, there are probably 30 times more "regular" RO servers. If people want DM, they know where to go.

There are two options:
1) Force the DM players and the DM servers to play the game how it should be played.
2) Let them be, and the rest of us come together on some common servers. (I personally prefer 2MANNY'S).

Let them be?

Sorry m8, but that attitude stinks! There is no 'correct' way that the game 'should' be played. We all enjoy RO in our own way.

If you can't beat a server full of 'deathmatchers' with your tactics that's the games fault, not the players ;)

Sorry but I love the game ( so do all my friends ) and I really love the fact that it's moved on from the teamstacked nonsense that it once was ;) Now it's more like war than a private, staged clan exhibition.

Upvote 0