• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Is there any reason for me to hold onto my Wii?

Byte Me

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Virginia, USA
I tried finding a older thread to post this in, but search is effing up for me today. Any who... the only reason I have a Wii is because my father stopped by a Target in NC as he was traveling through the state a way back when Wii's were incredibly scarce, and bought it because even if I didn't like it he knew he would be able to sell it. And the only reason I held on to it was to get Super Smash Brothers: Brawl.

Fast forward about a year later and I only have two games for it: Wii Sports (which came with it), and Brawl. While Brawl was awesome, it didn't have the lasting fun Melee did IMO. Which leaves me waiting around for something of interest to me and hoping it is coming down the pipeline this year. Most Wii games seem to be crippled by poor use of the Wiimote (and pointless/easy to play without it), bad games/dumbed down ports, and simplistic kiddy games. So far it looks like thats all its ever going to get.

First question, are there going to be any FPS's, non-Japanese RPG's, or action/shooter games coming out this year for the Wii?

Second question, are Wii's still scarce enough in the US to get $1,000 for it (including one Wiimote, two games, 300 Wii points, and several Virtual console games)?

Third question, PS3 or 360? HD video/audio, achievements/gamer points :)rolleyes:), slightly better graphics, and Blu-ray are irrelevant to me. Also, I hardly own any original Xbox games to be bothered about backwards compatibility (never owned a ps2). Though there are some PS2 games I would like to play (God of War 1 and 2, MGS3, and the Ratchet and Clank series to name a few), so I think I would have to buy the older version of the PS3 to get that (the new 40GB version lacks backwards compatibility right?). Mostly what I care about is that the games run at a playable frame rate, can download patches/extra content, and the console has a low failure rate or has a easy way to replace it if it arrives nonfunctional or dies within a short time. Oh and it helps if it doesn't have overheating issues like my brother-in-law's 360 which freezes after a few hours of continuous play and you have to restart it.

Fourth question, since my brother-in-law has both a PS3 and a 360 and we like to do co-op games, which console has a better online private match system? Or does that depend on the game more than the console?

Some will probably say PC > all, which I mostly agree with, and I would totally opt to buy a new gaming PC, but I doubt a Wii will get me $1,500 to build one and my brother-in-law doesn't have a PC at all geared for gaming.

I haven't got or even played on a PS3 so, since I'm honest, I'm not gonna try and compare a console I haven't played to my 360. Anyway, for co-op story mode it will depend simply on whether the game allows for multiplayer co-op, and if it does, it's very easy to set up a game and invite someone on your friends list to play with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1st Answer : Probably not and if there are they will probably not be good since its not what nintento is good at.
2nd Answer : You wont get $1,000 for that. They aren't that scarce anymore.
3rd Answer : I say either is good. Get what your friends have especially if you plan to play multiplayer. 360 has more games, more players and runs better in most games but not all like oblivion runs better on ps3 and gta 4 a little faster. If you have a hd tv and plan to buy a lot of blu-rays get a ps3. Both console's overheat if played a lot which is ridiculous.
4th Answer : Depends on game.

Upvote 0
Since Valve has yet again confirmed Left 4 Dead is going to only be on the 360 and PC and that so far, from what I have found, the lower end version of the 360 (Pro is $350) is cheaper than the PS3's (40GB is $400). And the fact that I don't really care for the PS3's controller (in FPS's anyway) or Blu-ray, I think I will be getting a 360.
I know 2 people who have had 360's, 1 of them died. Not good odds :)
I read up on the 360's problems and they seem to be sorted out now (actually a few months ago). So even if it dies on me, the warranty has been extended to 3 years.

Anyone know a good/reputable site or store that has the Pro version for under $350? Seems a lot of them have crappy games bundled with them (AKA Halo 3 or Assassins Creed... oh yes I went there) so they can jack up the price.

Oh and if I put my Wii up on E-bay or something similar how much should I expect at most? I still have the original box, manuals, and the other little odds and ends in them plus the stuff I mentioned before.

can i have this guys Xbox then, please?
I don't think you'll want it, it was from the first run way back in 2001 and a few years after that I had to replace the dvd drive because it started scratching discs. I got a replacement but I think it was the power cord causing the problem, for which I then got a replacement as well (there was a massive recall). IIRC it will still randomly scratch discs, although very infrequent compared to before, so I haven't used it for a long time.

One word. Bluray!
Pfft. HVD is the future... if they only would get their act together and release the damn thing.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I own a 360 and a lot of the games simply run better on it and there's a large library to it, though the PS3 is getting up there. The newer 360s have slightly modified hardware specifically designed for it to use less power and therefore not overheat. If you keep your box in a nice, cool environment and you shouldn't have any technical difficulties. Of course, PSN is better than Live since its free. Dunno about PS3 having anything equivalent to MS points. I think the PS3s are still more expensive than the standard 360s as well, which come now with HDMI capability. If all else fails, flip a coin :p

Upvote 0
I'd say keep your Wii.

IMHO there's more or less games which can be both unique and fun. Take Resident Evil 4 Wii edition as an example: Nothing is more fun than to aim and shoot with the wii-mote, so if you miss, about 80% of time it's because you have lousy aim :p

And since Wii can be used to run GC games (even though GC pad is recommended for that, or even required), there's some more or less great games E.G. REmake, Eternal Darkness : Sanity's requiem and so on.

Upvote 0
Edit: Before I forget, on my brother-in-law's 360 he made a second account for me (named Byte Me of course) along with his own. Now is that some kind of local account that can only exist on his 360 or is there a way to transfer it? I ask because I would like to have the some of the same controller settings and other things like the xp points in R6V2, because I don't want to have to earn those damn points all over again. Oh and thanks to everyone who posted for answering my many, many questions :).

Man... considering what is going to happen to Mass Effect on the PC, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to return to PC gaming once this computer dies on me, there is just way to much BS to put up with. Unfortunately it seems consoles are becoming more like PC's now, requiring installation of games even! Sigh... the past few year have been bad for both PC and console gaming, I can only hope it gets better from here.
Didnt know a 360 could play that. My bad

:rolleyes:
I didn't say it did, I was just making a general comment about a technology I think will be better than Blu-ray. No offense was implied in case you took it that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0