• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Better 'Practice mode'?

vascrats

Apr 17, 2008
I will spare you all the complaint about being dooped into buying an online game posing as a reasonably playable stand alone game and the fact that I only have access to dialup:( (had to bring PC to work to even load it).

The reason I won't complain too much is because even with the practice mode, the feel of the combat (armored and infantry) blows away anything I have ever played.

My questions (all regarding practice mode):

1) I have been able to bump up the skill level of the AI to at least have a reasonably fun battle with the foot soldiers. Are there any settings/mods that give better AI performance out of the tanks? I can be looking around and suddenly realize I had an enemy tank with its barrel pointed right at me but the never did or would fire. They also tend to bunch up in a pile.

2) Is there any way to specify max number of slots available for rolls (for example if you wanted to limit the number of tank crew)

3)Lastly for now, I try to specify a longer time limit for the maps and MOST of the time they seem to have a mind of their own regarding the time.

Any help making the offline mode more enjoyable would be great. I know the game will not be developed further with offline play in mind so you are my only hope (outside of Verizon bringing me high speed!!!)

Thanks!

Duped by whom? I thought it's very clear this is an online game :)

I said I didn't want to get into it but....I will look my retail box over again tonight and let you know more detials. I am pretty sure that the only reference to an internet connection was that it was needed for registration/activation or something like that. Like I said, I will check the box and honestly give you every reference to internet/online. Better yet, I can take some digital pictures of the retail box and post them.

If you got your copy through some form of download then it may have had a more accurate description.

Upvote 0
even if your internet is the worst kind ever hop online.

I tried doing on-line with one of the 'Medal of Honor' games and got cursed at for causing 'Lag' in the game. There was some warping from time to time but it seemed overall fairly playable. I just felt like I was ruining it for other people.

P.S. Where did my last post go where I told Dumba that my retail box had only one reference to 'online' and that had to do with registering/activating (or something like that) during install??.

Upvote 0
in some old games servers could work in weird ways.

Like if someone had packetloss the server would continuously try to send the lost packets to make sure it would get delivered. Eventually leading to that player stealing most cpu/bandwidth of a server.

Nowadays basically at least since the ut and quake 3 time, net code is good enough to not clog up when some people are lagging. Or missing packets.

So just play online, and have fun warping away in the worst case scenario, just think of when you're warping you're harder to hit than non warping people :p.

The base of RO is one of the nicest engines for ****e internet connections i'd recommend to try on some smaller servers first ^^.

Make sure you set your connection speed to your internet type, so not lan or cable. And just play. You'll need something like a steady 6kB/s to play ro. And most isdn/dial up things can support that speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the encouragement to try online. I am glad to hear that I may at least have a chance at it. I will try this weekend.

Is there anywhere to go to get an overview of how on-line works. I know you connect to a server through steam but I am wondering...

Are the battles timed and can I jump in at any time as long as the battle is ongoing?

Does the server force you on a side if the sides are not balanced well? Are sides balanced by bots?

Do most people use voice communication in the game? I don't have a mic and does not seem like it would work well over dialup either.

Hopefully someone has a link to a forum with these answers.

Thanks again all!

Upvote 0
Not really just try it :)
Yes, Yes
Yes, sometime, dpending on server
No, not most people

Just come to the IcM server, (see zet's sig) and have a blast with us, now that I am no longer in uni the post of cheif lag hacker is open so feel free to apply to IcM, if you feel RO works well enough that you want a regular group to play with.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the encouragement to try online. I am glad to hear that I may at least have a chance at it. I will try this weekend.

Is there anywhere to go to get an overview of how on-line works. I know you connect to a server through steam but I am wondering...

Are the battles timed and can I jump in at any time as long as the battle is ongoing?

Does the server force you on a side if the sides are not balanced well? Are sides balanced by bots?

Do most people use voice communication in the game? I don't have a mic and does not seem like it would work well over dialup either.

Hopefully someone has a link to a forum with these answers.

Thanks again all!

1) You only launch the game through steam, all the servers are listed in the multplayer/internet tab in-game, ( tho the buddies list has recently gone to the steam buddies system)

2) The battles ARE timed (until the objectives are captured or the reinforcements run out) but you CAN jump in the battle anytime,

3) There is a setting to force balanced teams, but this is a server-side setting, so most servers will run it but some wont. Sides are only balanced by bots if the server admin has setup a minimum number of players (eg. 12). If there are more real players than the minimum number then no players will be bots.

4) Quite a few people use voice comms with a mic/headphone setup, and it really helps gameplay, but maybe with a dialup connection it might struggle with enough bandwidth to work properly ( Clarification needed please). I would start without the comms for the moment as the game plays really well without it anyway.

%) This is the forum for all the answers(!) to RO questions. There are other mod sites that have their own forums as well, there are links in this forum to them

Welcome to the RO world- hope you enjoy playing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) You only launch the game through steam, all the servers are listed in the multplayer/internet tab in-game, ( tho the buddies list has recently gone to the steam buddies system)

2) The battles ARE timed (until the objectives are captured or the reinforcements run out) but you CAN jump in the battle anytime,

3) There is a setting to force balanced teams, but this is a server-side setting, so most servers will run it but some wont. Sides are only balanced by bots if the server admin has setup a minimum number of players (eg. 12). If there are more real players than the minimum number then no players will be bots.

4) Quite a few people use voice comms with a mic/headphone setup, and it really helps gameplay, but maybe with a dialup connection it might struggle with enough bandwidth to work properly ( Clarification needed please). I would start without the comms for the moment as the game plays really well without it anyway.

%) This is the forum for all the answers(!) to RO questions. There are other mod sites that have their own forums as well, there are links in this forum to them

Welcome to the RO world- hope you enjoy playing

Yeah that pretty much covers it, you just click on the multiplayer tab in the game menu, and you will be greated by a welcome screen, click "internet", and then the "refresh" button, and you should get a whole bunch of servers on your screen.

You can also set the browser to sort by Ping, so the server you have the best connection to is allways first on the list, thats probably the most usefull for you.

Upvote 0
Been on-line twice now with the dialup and I have to say it is a BLAST (pun intended)! Every now and then (map dependant) the screen will start jumping (not frame rate, actually jumping up and down kinda jittery) and I will have to exit RO completely and go back in. Outside of that and from time to time some frame rate issues (online only) it is surprisingly playable. I have seen tanks with vanishing/missing turrets as well?! I will search this forum for any info on those issues.

There is a beta Nvidia driver I want to try and see if that helps some of the issues.

For the most part, people have been very helpful getting up to speed. I don't think my life is suited to join any 'clans' at this time as I am lucky to get as much time on the computer as I do. I guess I will continue to be a gun for hire at the moment :)

VanOber

Upvote 0