• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Couple o PS3 Kwechtiuns

pretty much hdmi and component are the only options. So if your monitor supports it you could possibly use a hdmi -> dvi & tulp cables and connect your ps3 that way. If your soundcard got optical imputs then you can use the optical out of the ps3, and grab a normal hdmi to dvi cable since you wont need the sound of the hdmi then.

If that isn't what you seek then there are vga boxes and some specially for the ps3 that offer HDCP too.

Like the HDfury (http://www.hdfury.com/) just get say the The 2008 gamer edition for a regular D-Sub control if you have an oldish monitor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To put it bluntly, a HD TV is nothing more than a LCD computer monitor with a cable card/decoder inside.

I actually have my computer hooked up to my 42 inch 1080p TV (1920x1080 resolution).

But things to look for is just the connections. HDMI and DVI are both HD digital signals that support the same security system so you can get DVI to HDMI cables if the tv/monitor you want has one but not the other.

Sound won't travel on those cables (as HDMI supports sound, and DVI does not), but with a PS 3 you can tell it to output sound to the optical out as well if you still want surround sound and can't pass through the HDMi through your sound system (newer sound boxes have both HDMI in and out so you can pass through there first).

Just make sure if you are going to use a "monitor" it supports the "tv" resolutions (I use quotes cause they are really the same thing these days as I already said). Those would be 1080p 1080i and 720p (1920x1080 is 1080p and you can look up the rest, I'm lazy)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much!

It needs to be said I'm an HD and PS3 nub though :eek:

So, I have a monitor that's got a native resolution of 1920*1200 (27") so the HDMI to DVI is the cable I'm after then. OR HDMI to RED/BLUE/GREEN? (got this entrance on my monitor too) Which one is better?

I got no soundcard though, been using the motherboard integrated one since forever.

So, I guess I'll be investing in some 5.1 sound system as I don't have any other option. :( if only you could simply plug an headset in the PS3.

Upvote 0
The best for you is using a HDMI-DVI cable:

then for getting sound you can actually use the default cable you get with your ps3 (the ****ty composite cable) and use those 2 audio tulip plugs ( you can change sound setting in control panel so you use the ps-connector for sound and hdmi for image). Using that sound stuff you can just connect it to whatever you use to play sound on your computer, without forcing you to a headset.

Image (hdmi to dvi cable of any brand you like):
http://www.digitalconnection.com/spec_images/shdmidvi_rg.jpg
Sound (cable comes with ps3):
http://www.forestals.com/filebank/imagebank/products/entertainment/accessories/avcompositecable.jpg

------------------------------------

Otherwise those 3 you have is for a component connection you can grab the ps3 component cable too (hdmi to dvi you can take any generic one for the composite connection you need one with a ps3 connector), comes with audio stuff.

image and sound (uses the ps-connector so you need to buy a branded cable): http://www.loonyblog.net/wp-content/uploads/8223013_sa.jpg

image quality is not bad but the DVI one is better might work out nice if you don't want to hot swap cables)

Finally you could get a Dsub connector for the ps3 apparently there is an official one quality is about the same as component although degrades faster by cable length although often in computer monitors the d-sub scaler works better than component, comes with audio plugs:

image and sound (uses the ps-connector so you need to buy a branded cable):
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/11/ps3cables.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The best for you is using a HDMI-DVI cable:

then for getting sound you can actually use the default cable you get with your ps3 (the ****ty composite cable) and use those 2 audio tulip plugs ( you can change sound setting in control panel so you use the ps-connector for sound and hdmi for image). Using that sound stuff you can just connect it to whatever you use to play sound on your computer, without forcing you to a headset.

Image (hdmi to dvi cable of any brand you like):
http://www.digitalconnection.com/spec_images/shdmidvi_rg.jpg
Sound (cable comes with ps3):
http://www.forestals.com/filebank/imagebank/products/entertainment/accessories/avcompositecable.jpg

Otherwise those 3 you have is for a component connection you can grab the ps3 component cable too (hdmi to dvi you can take any generic one for the composite connection you need one with a ps3 connector), comes with audio stuff.

image and sound (uses the ps-connector so you need to buy a branded cable): http://www.loonyblog.net/wp-content/uploads/8223013_sa.jpg

image quality is not bad but the DVI one is better might work out nice if you don't want to hot swap cables)

Finally you could get a Dsub connector for the ps3 apparently there is an official one quality is about the same as component although degrades faster by cable length although often in computer monitors the d-sub scaler works better than component, comes with audio plugs:

image and sound (uses the ps-connector so you need to buy a branded cable):
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/11/ps3cables.jpg
Thanks Yoshi, unfortunately I don't have sound on my monitor. Would have made things easier.

Zets, I owe you big time. Many sincere thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly and adding pics! You're ace.

Got it pretty much covered. I'll risk a last question that prolly will make me sound stupid... here goes: Is the cable with the RED/GREEN/BLUE basically a yellow (composite) cable separated in its 3 elements?

Upvote 0
Thanks Yoshi, unfortunately I don't have sound on my monitor. Would have made things easier.

Zets, I owe you big time. Many sincere thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly and adding pics! You're ace.

Got it pretty much covered. I'll risk a last question that prolly will make me sound stupid... here goes: Is the cable with the RED/GREEN/BLUE basically a yellow (composite) cable separated in its 3 elements?

Don't know the actual working of component cables but i guess in base that might be how it works (but you're putting together pretty much all analog visual connections together then ;) ) . Although if you say that then the regular d-sub connection on old monitors would be like it too same with bnc connections on old professional monitors that had seperate horizontal and vertical sync options.

Basically for component cables you have two options Y Cb/Pb Cr or something like that and RGB your monitor uses RGB if the colors for those plugs are RGB but probably supports the other format too, you can set both options in the ps3 settings.
Don't compare d-sub and component in quality to composite though, composite is blurry as hell, and with d-sub things aren't as sharp as with BNC connections never tried Component but i think its somewhat in between BNC and D-Sub.

All in all nonsense blabbering, go for the HDMI to DVI, (if your monitor has only 1 input use a cheap as monitor switch box they come for $5 or something), with the stock sound cable.

Then after that opt for stuff like other cables, if your monitor is HDCP compliant you'll be able to play bluray movies at 1080p (since its a 27" its probably a dell and i believe they are hdcp compliant) btw. So then definitely HDMI to DVI will be the option because with Component or Dsub you'll probably only get 720p on bluray (full 1080p on games though)

For info about HDMI, DVI, D-Sub, Component, Composite, S-Video, HDCP etc just ask google and wikipedia :p

And what yosh said with sound on your monitor you can put it on any other device too with those 2 tulip plugs of audio or whatever, with a tulip to jack part you could probably put it in your normal speakers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why should athena replace his perfectly good 27" display if anything if he were to upgrade he should just get a led based LCD tv or some high res 30" comp monitor. Even though that monitor is nice its a waste of money to upgrade
You are right but one thing that happens with my PC monitor because it's 16:10 (1920*1200) as opposed to 16:9 (which 1080p is) is that the image is stretched vertically... and there's no way to make the input signal (HDMI -> DVI) a perfect 16:9 picture. :/

As for the sound issue, I did it like this, image output from the PS3 is HDMI -> DVI and the sound output is with the red/white connectors that come with the composite cable. Works like a charm!

I'm VERY tempted to look into getting a 40" or 50" Full HD TV to get a 16:9 image but it's expensive and crazy considering I already got that 27" widescreen monitor.

So, yeah, a 40+" HDTV must make it look so nice regardless if it's the PS3 or the PC. Spazz out and buying one or staying reasonable? Hmm :confused:

Upvote 0
You've also got to take into account how big your room is/how far away you sit to the tv, for instance my room aint the biggest and if i had a screen bigger than 24" it would dominate the whole room and in my living room my sofas only about 6ft or less away from the tv so massive 40" + tvs would be to big for a comfortable viewing angle.

Also if you are thinking about getting a 40" + HDTV, apart from PS3 games how much HD content will you have because personally i think SDTV and DVD quality looks horrible 30"+ tvs and i prefer smaller screens.

Great thread though, im in a similar position if i get a new console im gonna be using it with my monitor and i completly forgot DVI doesnt carry sound :eek:.

Upvote 0
You've also got to take into account how big your room is/how far away you sit to the tv, for instance my room aint the biggest and if i had a screen bigger than 24" it would dominate the whole room and in my living room my sofas only about 6ft or less away from the tv so massive 40" + tvs would be to big for a comfortable viewing angle.

Also if you are thinking about getting a 40" + HDTV, apart from PS3 games how much HD content will you have because personally i think SDTV and DVD quality looks horrible 30"+ tvs and i prefer smaller screens.

Great thread though, im in a similar position if i get a new console im gonna be using it with my monitor and i completly forgot DVI doesnt carry sound :eek:.
You are right about the size of the monitor and the size of the room!

Me, I don't mind sitting close to it. Right now, I'm sitting (my eyes are) at 90cm from my 27" monitor and it's perfect! No headaches or other inconvienences which I do get at work on smaller screens. :/

So, I'm sure a 40"+ with me sitting at 1.5-2m MAX will be just fine.

I don't have a crazy big room but it's not small either so my guess is that the 40"+ will clog 2/3 of my desk width wise which also sounds reasonnable to me (unlike its price :().

For your sound, if you get a PS3 and IF your monitor supports composite (yellow cable) you can output your sound from your PS3 to the composite element and use its red/white (sound) cable with a jack converter and plug your headphones/headset to the said converter (what I did).

And thanks for the compliment :D

[EDIT] About the amount of HD content, I'm thinking GT5 Prologue, GT5, GTA IV, some sport games to play with my bro, Test Drive Unlimited (PC version which will look like sex on a 40"+) and other future PS3/PC games.

Just one thing though, games like RO, look more sharp and crisp on my 27" monitor than they would on a 40" HDTV, I can safely assume. Racing games on the other hand... :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My monitor doesnt have sound but ive got a spare set of decent speaker that i can get use the headphone sockets so i can get the adapter and if that fails ive got some crappy USB speakers that i think yoshi said works with the ps3.
I got a brand new Digital USB Logitech Headset but there's no way my PS3 allows me to output the sound through them :/

Which is contradictory since these http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/3228&cl=ch,fr# (not my model) are made for the PS3 and USB!

What's the trick to get the PS3 to output sound through the USB port? Something to Dload on the PS3 Store?

Upvote 0
You are right about the size of the monitor and the size of the room!

Just one thing though, games like RO, look more sharp and crisp on my 27" monitor than they would on a 40" HDTV, I can safely assume. Racing games on the other hand... :D

On lcd the pixels are actually square so there should be no difference in sharpness, they are all bright squares (made of 3 colors if you grab a magnifying glass or just look close).

That is if the source can fit 1:1, aka 1080p on a monitor with 1920x1080 pixels.
Are you sure athena there is no 1:1 option in your monitor they usually all give pixel perfect options a different name. But usually the option is there. (scaling usually adds some more delay to the screen which ain't nice for gaming)

Although on a 27" pixels are a lot smaller so things might look less pixellated especially with bad anti aliasing. And i don't know why but LCD tv's are actually out with more modern technologies (for backlights etc) than on PC lcd's (beside professional lcd monitors).

Although bigger screens if you're pretty close don't improve gaming overall because you need to overlook it all, so your close combat ability goes down and longer range combat ability goes up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0