• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mafia II - Megathread

Did they release a patch that made Vietcong 2 good? Or was that a wet-dream I had?

yes they did -well a third party outfit made content that went over the top of the 1st and only (meagre) dev patch.
Only true hardcore cong-heads stayed around long enough to witness it, about 30 total ppl in all - TMG members mostly.

Upvote 0
I beg to differ.

Technically speaking, Vietcong is a masterpiece and was never altered. Vietcong 2, I never played since I heard it's crap.

So, Vietcong still stands in its own glory.
Mafia was great, and H&D2 is a classic, but I dunno about Vietcong.

It was ok but several aspects of it really were bleh, like the many exploits that were never fixed in MP, severe performance issues and horrible cheat protection. The SP also despite having a lot of positives was also pretty damn cliched at times too, especially in the handling of the VC. Also the AI, yarg, did you ever play it on Hard or Vietnam mode? It wa slike AI pistol head shoots you through a dense forest from 1KM away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hardest mission I ever played in a game was on Fist Alpha. You have to sneek through the jungle to a VC HQ killing everything on the way with the silenced pistol or knife. Extremely tense moments when you have to go through a transit camp type place, and the HQ is just a complete ****ing ****storm nightmare.

Upvote 0
Mafia was great, and H&D2 is a classic, but I dunno about Vietcong.

It was ok but several aspects of it really were bleh, like the many exploits that were never fixed in MP, severe performance issues and horrible cheat protection. The SP also despite having a lot of positives was also pretty damn cliched at times too, especially in the handling of the VC. Also the AI, yarg, did you ever play it on Hard or Vietnam mode? It wa slike AI pistol head shoots you through a dense forest from 1KM away.
Never played seriously the MP but I feel you there, mate.

And can you believe I was stupid, err, stubborn enough to finish the SP campaign at the vietnam difficulty? Got me cussing and reloading so many ****ing times, I can't replay it at that difficulty no more... being like 'OMFG he shot me from there!? through the canopee!?!?" when the death cam showed you the position of your killer :D

Man, getting back at the base was a real relief and it gave you that 'No way I'm going back in that ****ing jungle and damn tunnels!'

A great experience it was but I wouldn't be able to re-do it. Not enough patience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mafia was difficult, too. The shootout in the harbour? Man, I nearly cried tears of blood, it made me so frustrated (though mostly just because I started off low on health, me thinks). There were quite a few frustro-missions in that one, felt so good to finally complete them - the race one (and stealing the car off during the night), escape from the brothel mission, the already-mentioned harbour one and the final shoot-out. Man, only Kaukasus with 50 players on as Axis gets this frustrating. Hm. No, wait, actually Kauk completely tops these in the frustration ratings.

Loved cruising in the countryside as well. Hope they'll have that feature back. And seeing as they are calling the genre "sandbox action" we have to hope they'll stick to this description. This has some potential to be a blast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mafia was difficult, too. The shootout in the harbour? Man, I nearly cried tears of bloody, it made me so frustrated (though mostly just because I started off low on health, me thinks). There were quite a few frustro-missions in that one, felt so good to finally complete them - the race one (and stealing the car off during the night), escape from the brothel mission, the already-mentioned harbour one and the final shoot-out. Man, only Kaukasus with 50 players on as Axis gets this frustrating. Hm. No, wait, actually Kauk completely tops these in the frustration ratings.

Loved cruising in the countryside as well. Hope they'll have that feature back. And seeing as they are calling the genre "sandbox action" we have to hope they'll stick to this description. This has some potential to be a blast.
When I first did the Final-Shoutout mission, I didn't think I could go to Yellow Pete's to get some artillery so I had to start it with the little colt detective. That was hardcore till I got a Tommy gun from a corpse. :D

Upvote 0