• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why does nobody play mare nostrum?

This is my Serverlist 5 minutes ago (Filters: VAC and No-Password).
It is so sad . . .:(
shot00000oy5.jpg

BTW Thank you Steam-Server-Browser for "-1" player. "0" wouldn't be mean enough ???

Upvote 0
MN's 1.2 Full Install .exe file should is the easiest way of installing the Mod:

MareNostrumOpenBeta1.2 Size: 277 302KB (full install)

(I hope it's OK to put that here; trying to help).

I finally got around to installing this above file today, and now I can get back on the servers.:)

It only takes around 9 minutes to install, and you don't have to do any extracting as you would do with a .rar file.

Easy as one, two, three.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MN's 1.2 Full Install .exe file should is the easiest way of installing the Mod:

MareNostrumOpenBeta1.2 Size: 277 302KB (full install)

(I hope it's OK to put that here; trying to help).

Minor correction, that installer isn't an official MN installer, but rather was put together by the nice people at the RedOrchestra .pl community, and they deserve the credit for it.

Upvote 0
I can't speak for everyone else, but here's why I don't play MN, despite very much wanting to:

Patch hell: keeping straight what patches are necessary, how to install them, and in what order was a hassle. I had the right combination of patches at one point, but now it seems I don't, and I can't see any servers, not even the empty ones I used to. Perhaps I'll try the ro.pl installer.

Having to start either RO or MN: it's not a big deal, but if I have to choose between definitely playing on a full RO or CC server, or spending a few minutes to maybe find a MN server, I'll take the former.

Now, as others have said earlier in the thread, these aren't major, insurmountable issues. That's definitely true, if each is considered individually. But if a few factors each make it a little harder to play MN, taken together, it's possible to make it too much work for a critical mass of people to play at any given moment.

It's too bad. The new maps and weapons look really awesome. Clearly a lot of good work went into making them; it's a shame more people don't get to experience them.

Upvote 0
I can't speak for everyone else, but here's why I don't play MN, despite very much wanting to:

Patch hell: keeping straight what patches are necessary, how to install them, and in what order was a hassle. I had the right combination of patches at one point, but now it seems I don't, and I can't see any servers, not even the empty ones I used to. Perhaps I'll try the ro.pl installer.

There's an offical MN 1.2 full installer out now.

We do apologize for the Installer Hell.. the original installer ended up causing alot of confusion, so we ditched the installer method while we look for a new one (which is what the 1.2 Full should be using).

Once we got a stable Installer Base, patches will be mondo easier for everyone.

Upvote 0
I too am apparently stupid and lazy.

I tried to patch MN, it didnt work. I tried again and read up on it and it didnt work so I quit. I have too little time to waste playing an on-line game as it is let alone spend over an hour trying to make it work.

I will keep up on the MN news, and when something new (vehicles) get released, I will re-install. But for now, I don't have the time or patience.

But I liked the gameplay, weapons, and those foul-mouthed Aussies.

Yeah, me too. I tried to patch it but it didn't work, tried again, still didn't work, so gave up. I guess from my log in you would think this would happen, but I really did try to do it right. Something that just installs a patch automatically would have made everyting SO much easier.

As would something that automatically makes me less rubbish at shooting people, but I think that's a bit of coding too far.

Upvote 0
The reason why i don't play MM is simple , the fact that the German forces get nothing ... ok we got half a skin ... that's all ... no new wep , no new nothing ... just a mirrored afrika korps tunic ... (i mean the mod is nice and all but , you get my point)

Then play the allies, the Aussies are awesome! :D

(oh, maybe you're one of the guys who only play one side.. too bad, you're really missing out dude :p )

Upvote 0
I wish more people played MN. I liked it from the start and having an smg like the tommy in-game and behaving 'nice' instead of ro's vanilla recoil from hell makes it so much more fun. Seriously, MN is underrated and i for one don't care if it's integrated into RO's server browser like cc.

Upvote 0
In other news our Steam Group reached 200 members this week! If you can make that 250 then we will release some sneaky peaks on what we are working on for our next content patch, so hurry up and join or get inviting your buddies! We will also be scheduling some regular community nights in the near future so people can all get together and play some games on populated servers so keep your ears open.

Everybody join the Steam community group!:)

Upvote 0
For me... I downloaded Mare Nostrum once, and it told me that it wouldn't work in Win2k.

Fine. It's an old OS even though I've never had another game tell me its too old to run on, but whatever.

After I upgraded to XP, I downloaded it again, and installed it, only to not be able to play because I had apparently downloaded the wrong version, or needed to patch it, or something.

I gave up.

I have been exceedingly pleased with the simplicity and seamlessness of Carpathian Crosses though. I installed it, no problems, and now some servers go between RO maps and CC maps so effortlessly that you aren't aware that you are playing a separate game. It has just served to deepen the RO experience. In this way you can often find 50 player CC games.

Upvote 0