• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zombie-land - strange time out after connecting to a server

Curious
I also have a speedtouch 7xx ADSL modem

How it goes

Refresh server list.
Connect to server.
Map loads and first few seconds everything is all right.
Then everybody zombifyes and I can't change class.
Disconnect.
Reconnect - get stuck at F10 screen.
Press F10
Reconnect - everything is 100% normal.

Upvote 0
Curious
I also have a speedtouch 7xx ADSL modem

How it goes

Refresh server list.
Connect to server.
Map loads and first few seconds everything is all right.
Then everybody zombifyes and I can't change class.
Disconnect.
Reconnect - get stuck at F10 screen.
Press F10
Reconnect - everything is 100% normal.

Until we find out what is really causing it, the favorites workaround works fine, it just copyd all servers over to the favorite window

Upvote 0
Just tested this and it works for me !
I could join 4 RO servers without any problems.
I could also join several dodS servers without any problems.

It seems that the speedtouch router was blocking some steam ports, Unbinding them did the trick (see link in post above this one).
The real cause is still a mystery since this has worked for several months until the patch .....

Monk.

Upvote 0
Just tested this and it works for me !
I could join 4 RO servers without any problems.
I could also join several dodS servers without any problems.

It seems that the speedtouch router was blocking some steam ports, Unbinding them did the trick (see link in post above this one).
The real cause is still a mystery since this has worked for several months until the patch .....

Monk.

I thought you had set your connection to DMZ mode before :\. Because I and possibly others expected that it was probably no longer a router problem because you set it to DMZ mode. In dmz mode a router shouldn't block any port at all :X.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought you had set your connection to DMZ mode before :\. Because I and possibly others expected that it was probably no longer a router problem because you set it to DMZ mode. In dmz mode a router shouldn't block any port at all :X.

I did, the router is probably not unblocking all ports even if it stated it did (in the GUI).
Hence the workaround at commandline level.

Monk.

Upvote 0
Found this on steam forums. People were experiencing same thing with TF2, and also with Speedtouch modems
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1452-HCVB-6984
On bottom of this page is the fix. Will try it tonight when I get home

Workaround is ok, I'm just trying to find the root of problem :)

Alex,
This tric doesn`t work for me because the provider (planet) doesn`t give
the admin and password details.

So i have a problem that won`t be solved :(

Upvote 0
Just to add my two peneth in..

In work we have a Speedster modem and I can't play RO at all. Non of the RO or Steam fixes work and my boss won't sort the fix with the modem so I'm stuck.

At home, all was working great, until tonight, and now I get the same thing. No player, weapons or team information in game start up screens and unable to start playing. I have a US Robotics MaxG ADSL Gateway.

However when I query the router for the bindlist it tells me there isn't one.
Are there any specific ports I should be adding to allow RO through? I can add the manually .. and shoul it be TCP, UDP or both?

Upvote 0
Just to add my two peneth in..

In work we have a Speedster modem and I can't play RO at all. Non of the RO or Steam fixes work and my boss won't sort the fix with the modem so I'm stuck.

At home, all was working great, until tonight, and now I get the same thing. No player, weapons or team information in game start up screens and unable to start playing. I have a US Robotics MaxG ADSL Gateway.

However when I query the router for the bindlist it tells me there isn't one.
Are there any specific ports I should be adding to allow RO through? I can add the manually .. and shoul it be TCP, UDP or both?

Here's the list for servers got a bit more ports but adding these should make it to work.

I am going to sticky this so everyone knows:

7757 UDP/IP (Game Port)
7758 UDP/IP (Query Port)
7767 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
28902 TCP/IP (you need UDP/ip too apparently since the steam server browser change) (Allows your Server to Connect to the Master Server Browser)
8075 TCP/IP (Port set via ListenPort that your WebAdmin will run on)
20610 UDP/IP (Steam Port)

Updated March 20, 2008:

With the recent switch to the Steam backend, if you are running more than 1 server per IP, you will need to make sure that you have some additional ports open beyond the default RO ports. If you change the default Game Port from 7757, this change will be reflected in the Master Server Port (28902) and the Steam Port (20610) as well. For instance, if you change your game port to 7767 (10 more than the default), then your Master Server Port will be 28912 (10 more than default) and your Steam port will be 20620 (10 more than default).

Last edited:
Upvote 0