• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Theatre of War

RTS=realtime strategy as in looking down-commanding units like command and conquer?..if so thats def not for me. ive played so many of those type games and loved them all. but thats just played out for me years ago. ive played litterally 100"s of days playtime on those type games...my fps titles. 50 days played on joint operations,100 days played on blackhawk down at novalogic,200 hours played at ww2 online.:p that game would have made a great FPS with those features.

Upvote 0
updated demo

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/demo.html

As promised last week, we are happy to make available a newly updated Theatre of War Demo which encorporates the new advances offered in the recent "Uber" patch.

This new game version offers much better performance over the original demo as well other improvements that have been introduced into the game over the past few months. These include a new advanced Line of Sight system, better AI behavior and improved combat and weapon modeling.

This single player only demo features 5 tutorial missions which cover the basics of gameplay, unit control and camera behavior as well as more advanced topics like Line of Fire and Line of Sight. In addition to the playable tutorials there is also one playable mission from the new German Panzer Lehr Campaign. In this battle, tank units of the British 7 Armoured Division attempt to outflank your positions in order to capture the strategically key town of Villers-Bocage. Can your beleaguered troops stop this assault in the face of tough odds and overwhelming airpower? Play the demo and find out!

Playable units and weapons in this battle include; StuG III Ausf. G, PzKpfw IV 70 Jagdpanzer and PzKpfw IV Jagdpanzer Tank Destroyers, RPzB 54 Panzerschreck, Panzerfaust-30's, Panzerfaust-60's and PWM HE Grenade Anti-Tank Weapons, PaK 35/36 L45 37mm and PaK 40 L/48 75mm AT Gun's, SdKfz 7/1 20mm Flak 38 and FlakPz 38(t) Anti-Aircraft vehicles, Panzer IV Ausf. H tanks plus infantry units equipped with a wide variety of small arms and machineguns.

also I believe there is a quick battle generator now in TOW

Patch version 1.10.0.81
List of changes

New Components:

Map Editor with total capabilities of editing landscapes, roads, elevations, full object placement and more.

Mission-Campaign Editor (improved for multiplayer missions and can be used in tandem with the new Battle Generator).

Battle Generator (allows for easy creation of single and multiplayer missions with a minimum of effort).

New Internet Game Browser functionality available from within the game (shows all currently hosted games on the internet and allows you to join them).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like the tanks have the same AI as CC5's too, (turning in circles for a minute before moving to the next waypoint) lol.

Does TOW let you place Infantry into buildings like CC5? And are there any scenarios without excessive armour present?

nope - in the next addon you will be able to, which is pretty much a separate game. You won't need the original TOW

I dunno - but you can create it in the quick battle generator :)
ie one squad vs one squad

Upvote 0
Just bought it a couple of hours ago, and so far it seems fantastic, possibly the fustrations will become evident alter on, but for the moment the novelty is enough to ensure I love it ;)

The multiplayer was efectivley non-functioanl before, I belive, does the recent "uber-patch" fix these issuse, and if so anyone want to try it?

My Xfire is dadashev and I'm Pharnakes on steam, if anyone wants to try mp give me a shout.

Upvote 0
i waited for months for this game to come out, i was sure it would be the next best thing. then i got the demo, and i was horribly disappointed.
now by certain circumstances i have the full game patched version, and it still isn't what i had hoped. i come from years of cc5 playing, this game is not a worthy successor to cc5.
models, ghraphics and animations are really nice, but its too frustrating and you feel out of controll all the time baby-sitting your units all the time, feeling like a spectator with no controll over the situation.

Upvote 0
Yeah - that's my feelng too, I don't feel connected. The user interface needs work.

The next version - addon - is suppose to advance things along

I think it's a Russian game thing ;)
They always have nice ideas and concepts, but lack the polish and execution you'd like to see
A bit like their weapons and tech, "crude and brutal", but effective :)

Upvote 0
I am so livid about the Polish publisher not publishing the ueber patch version. We'be been told it's to appear come March, yet nothing has even budged.

I crave that Quick Mission Builder thing, I crave it. Any folks have tried that?

(Plus, after seeing all those enter/exit animations on so many different tanks I hope TWI take it to their hearts to implement proper vehicle entering animations for their next project, should it be WWII FPS)

Upvote 0
Some screenshot frenzy. It's been a nuisance to access those .tgas, since I lack a good viewer with tga capability (had to load them up one by one, print screen and paste into MS Paint for conversion into jpgs, duh).

Two BT-7s, one of them with a busted engine, popping some shots at enemy panzers in a half-hearted effort - luckily, there was a T-34 nearby to help them out and scare the living beejesus out of the Fritzes. I mean, blow them into kazillion tiny bits.
scr0006cx0.jpg

Meet Ruskie the sniper. Hidden in a snug little shrubbery he's accounted for 23 enemy men down. Here you see him almost getting jumped by a hostile tank - luckily for Ruskie, the 45 mm AT gun crewed by a critically wounded crew managed to knock the tank out with one of their last three AT shells.
scr0015ks7.jpg

And the knocked out tank - the sniper used up his two scavanged nades on taking out the crew as they emerged from the burning hull.
scr0016st3.jpg

The Wolvering making good use of its powerful gun - at a distance of roughly 500 m, fairly safe from enemy small arms fire. This one time the TD proved its worth (350 points, compared to Shermans 200/220/250 - depending on the model). The brewing Sherman was taken out seconds after the engagement started (taken out with the first shot fired), the other one is going to be hit in a second, the shell is going to penetrate the base of the hull and the crew is going to die - the tank will be later re-crewed with four chaps from a Stuart I left further back.
scr0048pq3.jpg

And the Jerry on the receiving end. The Panzerjaeger IV in the back has already been knocked out and the Jagdpanther in the foreground is harmless, save for a hull mounted MG - guns in this game have a tendency to be one
of the first elements of a tank to be knocked out (I'm guessing it's the targeting system, which zeroes in with pin-point precision on the central point of a target, and since TDs have the gun mounted somewhere near that point of the silhouette - that's that; you can even see the point where the mounting's been penetrated, screwing up the gun).
scr0051da5.jpg

And a testimony to the oft absurd difficulty levels - in a mission where you're told Germans are pressed into defence, surrounded, they actually emerge with a force superior numerically and qualitatively. Here you see these three tanks slaughter my initial force of three squads of infantry backed by 3 Stuarts and a Greyhound [or whatistsname] all with measly 37 mm cannons. Oh, one half of one squad managed to survive, just because I placed them on the far end of the deployment zone. And the 'zookas? Well, no good for these schurtzen-clad mofos- the only thing two 'zookas managed to do was to take out a gun on one of the PzIVs, before being hosed down by hull MGs. Oh, and when some reinforcements arrived, they'd spawned 200 metres off these three, and one Wolverine had been taken out in an instant - since new units appear on the map with their weapons not loaded. Secks. Quite a frustrating mission, like most in the game (pre-uber patch veteran difficulty). By the mission's end I'd been so numbed that it didn't matter if I lost another squad or not - it's only the captured PaKs that mattered, since they were my only ticket to victory. And when it finally came I was unimpressed. Quite sad, since the game's heralded as the uber-tactical strategy, but where's the tactics in no-brainers like missions where you'll almost certainly get slaughtered real bad, no matter what you do, or missions where you'll use up all the arty/air support and then carefully pick off stupid trigger-driven zerg forces charging off their defensive positions, straight into your (always) not-clear LoF.
scr0037pn5.jpg

I guess this game blooms in multiplayer, where you don't have to stomach the irritating (lack of) AI.

Upvote 0
i waited for months for this game to come out, i was sure it would be the next best thing. then i got the demo, and i was horribly disappointed.
now by certain circumstances i have the full game patched version, and it still isn't what i had hoped. i come from years of cc5 playing, this game is not a worthy successor to cc5.
models, ghraphics and animations are really nice, but its too frustrating and you feel out of controll all the time baby-sitting your units all the time, feeling like a spectator with no controll over the situation.
Exactly.

This game is nothing compared to the CC or CM series games, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's insulting that they mentioned ToW being a 'spiritual successor' to these games over and over again when hyping it up. The only thing it has in common with them is the setting.

Upvote 0
actually the dev's on their forum constantly replied to people who expected it to be like CC or CM, by saying that TOW was not supposed to be working like CC or CM.
while they sell this game as a realistic RTS, tell me how one can make a realistic RTS that is NOT like CC or CM?
i think they felt like they had to make it different from those games, the problem is that a game like CC was close to perfect, so making a different game will by defenition result in a less good game. with the recent patches to improve the game, they are actually adding many features that come from CC or CM...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, back to the ever recurring theme of hi-ho, lo-o: high hopes, low outcome. By now there's probably been qwazillion posts about how good the game was supposed to be and what a load of bull it turned out to be. Who knows, maybe the thing deserves a new iteration, like ToW2. Or maybe the paid add-on that's to come out is going to deliver us from our trouble (well, it is supposed to be essentially a new game, it being a stand-alone).

I'm still willing to go after it, despite all the let-downs along the way (maybe it's the nostalgia I have for the Sturmovik series and the, however vague, connection between those two titles).

Upvote 0