• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your Perfect Tank Sim

D3terioNation

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
West Sussex, UK
For me its locational damage & the ability to kill individual crewman.

This is just a speculative thread, based on the idea or hope, that Tripwire is busy building RO2. So I would like to hear what you would hope to see in tank warfare on the UE3 engine!

I completely trust that TWI will create the perfect infantry sim, much like how it is now. But there has always been complaints about how tanks play out in Ostfront and how engine limitations prevented the devs from giving us the perfect all-round simulation.

I personally hope games like T34 vs Tiger will give them some inspiration in giving us the perfect experience! I for one only play RO nowadays for the combined arms action, but prefer tank only maps like BDJ.

So what would make the perfect armoured simulation for you and why?

Last edited:
Since this is a wish list type thread...

From an aesthetic perspective, I would like to see the following:
  • Pump up the volume on the engine and track sounds, especially how well those are heard by observers outside of the tank.
  • Track marks are left on the terrain (guess they could fade over time like other decals).
  • The tank numbers and/or unit markings are unique for each tank
  • Wider variety (and more accurate) camo schemes, especially for late war tanks
  • When appropriate, the ability to have driver and commander periscopes implemented using the correct optics and magnifications.
  • Show locational damage on the vehicle mesh such as side skirts or tracks getting knocked off. And blow those turrets off!:)
From a game play perspective:
  • Ability to have penetrative hits do internal damage to vehicle, including injuring/killing crew members, fire damage, etc.
  • Random engine failure simulation, especially on late war German tanks (uh-hmmm, King Tiger;))
  • Realistic first and third person vehicle entry/exit animations and timing. No more pop goes the weasel.
  • Fix the armor system (tips hat to Amizaur's efforts on RO:OST).
  • Realistic onroad/offroad speed differential.
  • Ability for tanks to destroy/run over certain types of obstacles.
I could probably come up with a few other things...

EDIT (added in a few things):
  • Ability to use pistol ports in the turrets of some tanks
  • Smoke screen pods and anti-personnel countermeasures on appropriate tanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't blame the engine limitations in arcade RO tank system - Amizaur did fix really huge amount of issues, just using SDK. CC devs managed to implement crew injuries, as well as new weak spots, so did the Japans in their Realwar mutator. Engine limitations really can't explain all drawbacks of existing tank system.
Btw, you can play WW2 for free 14 days without any credit card.

Upvote 0
Well I dont think AB did a good job tbh. It didnt provide the solution everyone wanted.

Plus to be truly perfect UE2.5 certainly doesnt cut the mustard!

EDIT

I feature I would love, is slower traverse speeds on lone star tanks. The engine needs to be running to provide power, thus encouraging team tanking even further! Also steep terrain effecting turret speeds too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I dont think AB did a good job tbh. It didnt provide the solution everyone wanted.

Plus to be truly perfect UE2.5 certainly doesnt cut the mustard!

EDIT

I feature I would love, is slower traverse speeds on lone star tanks. The engine needs to be running to provide power, thus encouraging team tanking even further! Also steep terrain effecting turret speeds too!

Absolutely...engine rpm should affect the turret traverse speed of any tank using that method. But not all tanks did, especially early war tanks with manual-only traverse.

Upvote 0
Since this is a wish list type thread...

From an aesthetic perspective, I would like to see the following:
  • Pump up the volume on the engine and track sounds, especially how well those are heard by observers outside of the tank.
  • Track marks are left on the terrain (guess they could fade over time like other decals).
  • The tank numbers and/or unit markings are unique for each tank
  • Wider variety (and more accurate) camo schemes, especially for late war tanks
  • When appropriate, the ability to have driver and commander periscopes implemented using the correct optics and magnifications.
  • Show locational damage on the vehicle mesh such as side skirts or tracks getting knocked off. And blow those turrets off!:)
From a game play perspective:
  • Ability to have penetrative hits do internal damage to vehicle, including injuring/killing crew members, fire damage, etc.
  • Random engine failure simulation, especially on late war German tanks (uh-hmmm, King Tiger;))
  • Realistic first and third person vehicle entry/exit animations and timing. No more pop goes the weasel.
  • Fix the armor system (tips hat to Amizaur's efforts on RO:OST).
  • Realistic onroad/offroad speed differential.
  • Ability for tanks to destroy/run over certain types of obstacles.
I could probably come up with a few other things...

EDIT (added in a few things):
  • Ability to use pistol ports in the turrets of some tanks
  • Smoke screen pods and anti-personnel countermeasures on appropriate tanks

Agreed with this list ^

- External MG to use from the copula where it's appropriate
- Ability to put camo on your tank depending on your surrounding.
So you can set up ambushes. (Branches, dig your tank in and stuff)
- Being able to keep your engine running when you bail
- Crew can ride to the front on top, and you can 'eject' them when you press a button, so you don't have clowns blocking your view :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tanks definitely need extra camo like branches or netting. You hardly ever see a picture of a ww2 tank without some kind of crude means of camouflage added by its crew!

Logs on the side of T-34s would be sweet too as they did offer some protection against fausts, though they were mainly used to add some traction when stuck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Ability to put camo on your tank depending on your surrounding.
So you can set up ambushes. (Branches, dig your tank in and stuff)

I agree very much, this would be a good idea. It would be great feature in infantry game too, put branches and grass to you helmet and so fort. Like for example there were certain straps in SS camo smocks to put branches on it.

But digging tank in to the ground is similar with digging foxholes. It takes too much time IRL to be icluded in game realistically. Digging a tank in with 5 men crew would take at least 2-4 hours. So at least if the game would aim to hc realism in that way, digging tank in would soon become boring.

But ofcourse this thread is about dreaming for the perfect game, so yes if digging would be possible, it would make game more realistic. That was used a lot for defencive groupings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely...engine rpm should affect the turret traverse speed of any tank using that method. But not all tanks did, especially early war tanks with manual-only traverse.
Not to nit pick and I'm certainly not familiar with the hydraulics of WWII era tanks, but modern hydraulics don't necessarily require full engine rpm. It depends upon the system's design.

Floyd

Upvote 0
-i absolutely want a independant roadwheel suspension system for all tanks, and realistic track behaviour fysics.

-absolutely everything must be animated, from climbing on the tank, opening the hatch and climbing in.

-crew should get wounded, and even get knocked out temporarely or in "shock" after an impact or a violent maneuvre.

- all systems should be allowed to break down, from the broken periscopes, to the MG's and main gun. or braking the drivetrain or throwing a track after driving to violently

- fuel system, certainly by the end of the war many german tanks were destoyed after running out of fuel

- no more driving with your main gun through a wall or trees. you hit a wall with your barrel, and it's game over.

- it should still be intuitive like in RO ost, the way it works in t34 vs tiger is too complex.

- crew spots that are not taken by real persons should be taken by bots, only they cannot take initiatives. they must not shoot, move or do anything unless you order them to. crew spots like the loader should always be taken by a bot, so if you are inside the turret you can see him reload the gun.

-if your tank is destroyed and you are still inside, you can choose to bail out and run away, or choose to respawn while your body will transform into a bot and bail out by himself and fall dead on the tank or next to it if he doesn't get shot by the enemy in the first 5 seconds

Upvote 0
You ideas are great but when you get to here...
-if your tank is destroyed and you are still inside, you can choose to bail out and run away, or choose to respawn while your body will transform into a bot and bail out by himself and fall dead on the tank or next to it if he doesn't get shot by the enemy in the first 5 seconds

.. it all goes a bit weird tbh.

Upvote 0