• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra adds Steamworks

yes, and you can set it to whatever 2 keys you want for the combo.

And I realise many of you are upset about losing the one aspect of the buddy list (which was the wildcard search). However might I direct you to ask valve to implement something like that, if they did, then I'm sure TWI would gladly support it.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't like the new Steam thingy, for the exact reasons other people have stated. I would appreciate for TWI to bring back the old functionality, but I can see how it's easier for them to have Steam handle all the master server stuff.

Will learn to live with it I guess...

However - I really appreciate that they have taken the time to release another patch with fixes for security and exploits - Thank You TWI :D

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but really I'm not happy about the latest updates of the game!

First, after the update made, regarding the no-cheats tool, all the players of my clan have all the game menu and also the game in english!!!

Before the update the game language was in italian!

Second, the update to Steamworks...... .
before there was a lot server in the list, now a few number of servers!
Yes is possible to use the steam interface to find servers, but to chose directly in Red Orchestra game was simple. And was also simple to see which player was in any server.

With the buddy list in Red Orchestra was very simple to find players and clans.... !

Now if I correctly understood we have to use the tool friends in steam!
I don't know all the functioons of the tools friend in steam, but in my opinion is sure less "friendly user" that the buddy list in Red Orchestra

I think that it isn't the right way to make the updates of the game.

Upvote 0
I guess the question is.. what prompts a company to make a seemingly unneeded change such as this? It's an interesting move to make oneself even more reliant on another company for operational functions. A lot of eggs in Valves basket. If this had happened between releases.. for example the next game is coming out and they made the change to Steams back-end at that opportunity, it would make a bit more sense. Not fully, but a bit.

Doing this in the middle of the stream is like - why? Does it have to do with the 'extra security' added? Maybe RO needs to be on the Steam infrastructure for these changes to work better? Were incentives laid out on the table that caused the switch? Master server becoming too expensive so you needed to switch? A combination of all those? Strange to change something like that at this juncture.. a lot of people are upset about it.

Upvote 0
I'm really not happy regarding the latest updates of RO!!

1) After the update of the last week all the player of my clan have their Red Orchestra game in English!!!
Before it was in italian. Is this a good service? No it isn't

2) The steamworks update is not user friendly. The buddy list is very important in RO: very simple to find players and clans.
The steam friends tool cannot replace the buddy list of RO
After the update we see only some server and not all the servers!
My clan has a own server, but it not appears in the new list....!
Why?

Upvote 0
I have a problem with the server list. Our server stood out in color on the internet listing. Now it does not, unless you click on it. After hitting refresh it's back in white again. Why?

Second thing, internet listing shows 20 servers. I hit refresh, it shows 40 servers, hitting refresh again it shows 10 and so on. Why??

Third thing, our server is on the internet list, hitting refresh and it's gone, hitting refresh again and its back. Why???

There's some weird things going on with the internet listing.....

Hope it will be solved

Bando

Upvote 0
+1 for the revival of the wildcard driven buddy-list in some form that works within the new limits of operations.

A tip: It's good practice to ask your customers for what they think *before* you break something that's working fine (otherwise you'll end up with something like Windows Vista which is a sad mistake in Windows development and something very few proffessional companies use).

At least you will prepare people in advance for what is to come and by explaining the reasons behind it beforehand you'll get less bad-will when you eventually reduce the functionality.

Upvote 0
RickyGold you don't alt tab, you hit shift tab in game and it all comes up ingame without leaving.

Thanks for your reply, Yoshiro.
At the moment, when I hit Shift+Tab I just get the console prompt.
I'm going to look for the problem... I will post if and when I found a solution.

But now that I think of it.... the name of my buddies will be the one they used for their Steam account and not the one they use in-game... ?!?!?
PLEASE.... tell me I'm wrong !!!!! :eek:

Freethought:
In general, I see a lack of functionality of the old, dear buddies lists.... first in UT3 (I bought and installed it, but don't like it ALSO for this), now in RO.....
Is there a sort of legal problem about buddies management ?

Upvote 0
yes, and you can set it to whatever 2 keys you want for the combo.

And I realise many of you are upset about losing the one aspect of the buddy list (which was the wildcard search). However might I direct you to ask valve to implement something like that, if they did, then I'm sure TWI would gladly support it.

Um everyone in the linux community has been asking valve for a linux port of steam only and it hasn't happened, so...........

Anyways good update.

Upvote 0
I tried using the overlay when it was first introduced and quickly disabled it. Now I remember why; Cause its a bloated piece of **** - and most of the buttons don't even work. I opened a players 'page' and couldn't close it again. Soon I had several windows overlaid on others, and could close none. All the standard window-stuff like clicking the X in corner just is broken...

Also, I'm pretty sure it steals a lot of CPU when enabled, seems to get some framerate drops. I'm keeping it disabled, sticking with my favorites list for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Put the buddy list back!!!! I got an invite from someone to be on their buddy list and it kicked me out of the game and back to my desktop so I could view the invite, that is annoying. I do not care who is playing COD4, or some other game, I just want to know what RO server my RO buddies are playing on. As far as I can tell the friend thing that replaces the buddy list does not work well.

Upvote 0
The buddies tab has been removed from the in-game server browser as all buddy functionality is now operational using Steam friends.

As a game op (admin) I used it to track troublemakers who were too lazy to change there names ,bring it back.

Also the guys who run our server software don't work weekends so we are stuffed till Tuesday .

I am in several steam groups but leave steam community off , as events popping up from these groups forces me out of RO .

Upvote 0