• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Music] Kidz Bop: WTF?

So for the past few years I've been wondering about something. I can't seem to get away from the Kidz Bop advertisements on television, and every so often it seems that they have songs on there with incredibly inappropriate lyrics for their target (child) audience.

Supposedly, they change the lyrics for the songs, to remove any offensive content. For many of the songs on their list, though, if you remove the 'offensive content,' you no longer have a song. Take, for instance, Sean Kingston's 'Beautiful Girl:' "You've got me suicidal, suicidal ..." That's the whole goddamned song. Take that out, and none of the rest of it makes sense.

So this morning, I did some research, including downloading an MP3 of the Kidz Bop version of Hinder's 'Lips of an Angel.' If you live in the US - or Canada - you have almost certainly heard the original version of this song on the radio, as it was nearly impossible to escape from back about a year or so ago. It's a song about cheating on ones' current girlfriend with one's ex-girlfriend.

The lyrics to the original song are listed below:

Hinder said:
Honey why are you calling me so late
It's kinda hard to talk right now
Honey why are you crying is everything okay
I gotta whisper cause I can't be too loud
Well, my girl's in the next room
Sometimes I wish she was you
I guess we never really moved on
It's really good to hear your voice saying my name
It sounds so sweet
Coming from the lips of an angel
Hearing those words it makes me weak
And I never wanna say goodbye
But girl you make it hard to be faithful
With the lips of an angel

It's funny that you're calling me tonight
And yes I've dreamt of you too
And does he know you're talking to me
Will it start a fight
No I don't think she has a clue
Well my girl's in the next room
Sometimes I wish she was you
I guess we never really moved on
It sounds so sweet

It sounds so sweet
(And I never wanna say goodbye)
Honey why are you calling me so late

So. In what way was this song edited to make its content suitable for children? One word was changed. Faithful was replaced by Grateful. That's it. The whole story about cheating is still intact, except that ... it's not hard to be faithful anymore ... it's hard to be grateful. Which makes no sense.

Anyway. It's sure as hell that my kid (he's seven) ain't ever getting any of this crap.

(Incidentally, even my cats found the Kidz Bop crap completely objectionable - as soon as the mp3 started playing, they both started biting me and my laptop.)

(Incidentally, even my cats found the Kidz Bop crap completely objectionable - as soon as the mp3 started playing, they both started biting me and my laptop.)

Haha, more proof cats are intelligent! :D

Talking about objectionable, how about this one: :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrRtYtKsZw&NR=1

IMO, artists should just refuse to let their songs be used for this crap, but since most artists on big record labels are totally pwned and have no say in the matter anyway its not gonna happen.

They have struck musical gold a couple of times though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zNa9oHkfcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5MC8u27prw

Upvote 0
So. In what way was this song edited to make its content suitable for children? One word was changed. Faithful was replaced by Grateful. That's it. The whole story about cheating is still intact, except that ... it's not hard to be faithful anymore ... it's hard to be grateful. Which makes no sense.

Anyway. It's sure as hell that my kid (he's seven) ain't ever getting any of this crap.
More than likely, the use of the word "faithful" and "angel" in the same sentence implied "religion" in the eyes of the censor (and probably even worse...<gasp!> "Christianity"....heaven forbid our kids ever get presented with anything so moral :rolleyes:). But seriously, I have no clue as to the point in changing the lyrics.

Good luck with the "my kid ain't ever getting any of this crap". ;) I've raised two to adulthood and have one 17 year old left at home. Having been raised during the times of the greatest music ever produced (flame away....you know you are all just jealous :p), I've been exposing my kids to "good" music for years. I've taught the 17 year old guitar licks from The Who to the Doobie Brothers. The other day he came in and taught me the rythm to "Wish You Were Here" and then he proceeded to play the lead. I thought to myself, "What a wonderful father I am...". Then yesterday I borrowed his car to run an errand. I was instantly blasted into reality by a string of rap cuss words emminatingfrom his woofer enhanced sound system. Kind of shattered my feel good sense of "good upbringing".....:(

Upvote 0
Hey, that funk music is pretty good. I mean, Barry White, c'mon. I was born in '89, so I missed all the good music, but that doesn't stop me from liking it. Generally I like the 60's-80's and a little of the 90's but abhor anything later then that. There is some decent stuff (I do like Outkast "hey ya" and whatnot) but I find rap music, RnB (or whatever), screamo, garage band, and other such music terrible. The singing shouldn't even be considered so and there is no beat or rythm. I also find the topic of the music utterly retarded.

Just saying, good music certainly wouldn't hurt.

Upvote 0
Hahahha, this stuff is such ****e, do people actually buy this?

I'm with Floyd on music in general, back in his day music was a lot better, I guess probably because it was before musicians really had to become corporate whores to survive. There is great music today but even so the majority of mainstream stuff is just fomulaic. Look at anything in the top 40, you have so much of this RnB or single female artist **** which you can just tell is written and put together by businessmen who know that;

a + b + c = P

a = simple lyrics about love/relationships with a smattering of baby or rap about money and ho's
b = simple and catchy beat
c = hot sexy chic who didn't write the song but looks the part/RnB doucebag/wannabe tough guy rapper
P = profit yay!!!!

I'd like to say that one of the last vestiges of good music these days is metal, and it's true to an extent, however you see this **** I am talking about above happening with metal as well. Linkin Park are a great example of mainstream easily digestable metal for the masses.

Upvote 0