• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Sport] Can an activity replace swimming?

tropsobor

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2006
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm

Week 1
Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pushups: 4 sets of 15 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 4 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Swimming: Swim continuously for 15 min. 4-5 days/week

I'd like to follow this program but it includes swimming, which I can't be bothered to learn and I don't have a pool nearby. If I take swimming off the list and forget it completely, should I add another activity or more to compensate? If yes, which?

and should all these activities be done back to back or run in the morning and bodyweight exercises at noon, etc.?

and what break would you recommend between series and exercises?

wait, what?! You don't know how to swim? I can see the lack of a pool being a major obstacle, but if not knowing how to swim is the big thing, I would make the swimming exercise the number one priority.

Even if you don't think it now, eventually, some time in your life, you will be put in a position that, in a worse case scenario, have to swim (even just a short distance) to safety.

Other than that, swimming is a general, full body/low impact exercise that would be very hard to replace.

Upvote 0
Swimming really gets you the best full body workout. Take a class at a nearby college or something if you have to, because like Sgt.Rock said its something that may say your life (I almost drowned when I was little, its not good times trust me).

The second best full body workout is sex, but that may be harder to get than swimming :eek:

Upvote 0
and should all these activities be done back to back or run in the morning and bodyweight exercises at noon, etc.?

and what break would you recommend between series and exercises?

Yes do all the exercises back to back, it will keep your heart rate up for a longer period of time. I would say no more than a 30 second break between series, and maybe a minute between exercises. Try to add on repetitions every new week or so as well.

Upvote 0
7 replies and no one had answered my question yet.

yes, I can swim, I just can't move fast enough in water. I don't have the technique.. but anyway, I don't have a pool nearby. so once again, what activity or activities can replace swimming? if it can be replaced.

As others have said, swimming is really hard to replace as it's a pretty good full body workout.

However, if you're just in general looking for areobic exercise that works your upper and lower body, a machine like an eliptical can help you out. It's nowhere near swimming but with some higher resitance levels and making use of the upper body handles, you can get a pretty good all around workout.

Keep in mind you can always modify an excercise plan to fit what you can do. Unless your trying to get a specific look or work a specific set of muscles, general aerobic exercise and some modest weight training will get you in shape. And you plan looks like it's just for general fitness.

Upvote 0