• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] Mein Krieg; Amateur ​WW2 Films by ​German ​Soldiers

Late in the 1980s, two documentary film makers found six German men, all in their 60s and 70s, who had been soldiers in the German invasion of the USSR in 1942. Each carried an 8mm camera into battle and they still had their film. "Mein Kreig" alternates between interviews with these older men, now apologetic, philosophical, or defiant about their participation, and the footage they shot. It's chronological: basic training, the train trip East, roof-top vistas of war-torn Warsaw, peasants in Belarus, the downing with carbine volleys of a Russian plane, winter, a holiday at the Black Sea, mud, impassable roads, death, destruction and retreat. "Home, that was the front," one says.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=379776800074906671

(how do you post a URL to a video file without embedding it?)

Just watched this one, thought it was so good so I should share it with others interested in the eastern front.

-S

Last edited:
I have seen this a while ago pretty interesting.

There was also a documentary called "Rothkirchs Krieg" but sadly it was only show in the German television. Rothkirch was a high ranking officer in the Wehrmacht and also an hobby filmer. He made a lot of private films and they also interviewed his son who was still alive. He told how he visted France with his father just after the defeat.

Now I am considering to upload that :rolleyes: ...

Upvote 0
I was able to see this in the U.S., circa 1993-1994(?), at an art museum's theatre; thanks for uploading it; I only saw it that one time, so I appreciate being able to see it a second time.

I have never seen it shown on U.S. or Canadian TV, or sale on VHS or DVD at stores, or have a second run in any theater here (though I'm sure you can buy a copy somewhere on the internet).

Upvote 0