• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint 2 preview and screenies

Multiplayer ArmA does very well in my personal opinion. I just wished they had dropped Deathmatch.

The possbilties of making ArmA multiplayer missions and gametypes are endless and completely in the hands of the missionmakers, coders and players. Makeing scenarios is easy for this game. Making quality not.

You don't have to know anything about this game just think about the name. It's called OPERATION FLASHPOINT II, I mean why in Jeebus' name? The storyline was completeted in the first part and the story will not be continuted. They only took the name because of the fame of the first part.

But we will see how it plays.

Upvote 0
Some choice bits from the preview:

So it is that 70 people are currently employed in Kuala Lumpur to ensure that every weapon is modelled entirely accurately - from the bullets it fires to the scope. A single hand grenade is now composed of 5,000 polygons - an entire Op Flash soldier used to have only 500.

"We've put an enormous amount of work into replicating weaponry, both in terms of the physical thing in your hand - models and texture-wise - and everything that surrounds it: ballistics, different ammunition types, weights of ammunition, characteristics of the weapons themselves." In fact, the type of ammo you fire from a gun will even affect its range and damage. A-nal genuinely isn't the word. Codemasters are talking to veterans and serving soldiers alike (the dialogue and script are sent straight to the Army to check terminology and the exact phrasing), and a large number of developers are themselves ex-servicemen.

"So we've got a whole team of guys who are just there for research - making sure that everything in the game is authentic. They study battle tactics, global scenarios and politics."

CM may be money grabbers, but they know that OFP sold quite well. They'd be frankly idiotic to make a GWAR clone and expect it do that well at all as it'd be alienating the entire, made up mostly a-nal grognards (of whom I am one ;)), fanbase.

Yes the fact that it's coming out for consoles too is worrying but we'll see what happens. Then again, Arma 2 is coming out for "next gen consoles" as well.

We've got two potentially amazingly good ultra realistic shooters (this and Arma2) coming out so I'm happy regardless :D.

Upvote 0
some series have been ruined because of a change in development, but others may be diferent, think for example about the "farcry - crysis - farcry 2" story, Farcry 2 is not released yet, but with the new developers it looks that its going to be much better than Crysis (from the original Farcry developers)

Upvote 0
CM may be money grabbers, but they know that OFP sold quite well. They'd be frankly idiotic to make a GWAR clone and expect it do that well at all as it'd be alienating the entire, made up mostly a-nal grognards (of whom I am one ;)), fanbase.

Well, they (other developers) alienated the entire fanbases of the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games as well, and their happily continuing on so what proves this to CM? It can be done, and if it brings more profits in their eyes they will do it.
I can allready see it coming, i really can, and untill i have had extensive play-through time myself and i know they made a good sequel, OFP2 holds no hope for me.
Once i hear the words 'streamlining' or 'making things more accessible' i know enough, and the first letterbomb may be made.

Upvote 0
Well, they (other developers) alienated the entire fanbases of the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games as well, and their happily continuing on so what proves this to CM? It can be done, and if it brings more profits in their eyes they will do it.
I can allready see it coming, i really can, and untill i have had extensive play-through time myself and i know they made a good sequel, OFP2 holds no hope for me.
Once i hear the words 'streamlining' or 'making things more accessible' i know enough, and the first letterbomb may be made.

Words to make any hardcore PC gamers heart sink!

Upvote 0
So hardcore PC gamer = realism games freak?

Not necessarily. He doesnt mean it that way probably.
But come on, PC games can be much more deep then console-games and no matter how hard people defend it, their controls are at the bottom of that. Since the first mario game only a few additional buttons came for consoles next to movement keys and jumping keys, for reloading etc. but there can never be as much buttons as on a keyboard, so gameplay has to have less depth to it to even out.
You can see it clearly when another ****ty ported game comes out, allways garnered toward consoles but allmost every time people say: the pc version could have been so much more!
PC games have so much more possibilities, and these are often ignored for console's sake. Hence the reason i hate the words streamlining and accessibility so much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not necessarily. He doesnt mean it that way probably.
But come on, PC games can be much more deep then console-games and no matter how hard people defend it, their controls are at the bottom of that. Since the first mario game only a few additional buttons came for consoles next to movement keys and jumping keys, for reloading etc. but there can never be as much buttons as on a keyboard, so gameplay has to have less depth to it to even out.
You can see it clearly when another ****ty ported game comes out, allways garnered toward consoles but allmost every time people say: the pc version could have been so much more!
PC games have so much more possibilities, and these are often ignored for console's sake. Hence the reason i hate the words streamlining and accessibility so much.
Somewhere you sure do have a point but please what do you think. Do you think if you are always bad-talking those games it has any impact? What I just don't understand why people still complain. It is the way it goddamn is. You should rather be happy that there still are PC Games.

Assassins Creed. Frontlines: Fuel of War. Far Cry 2. Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway. Etc. Those games wouldn't be ANY different if they were only produced for PC, except that they wouldn't even be developed at all because they wouldn't get enough sales thanks to software-pirating people.

Living in the past and still crying for those old games and talking about how anything was better before is just like those old people that complain how everything was better in the past. Imo this kind of indicates having no life.

In the past when I was still playing RO(very actively) I was pretty much the same. Hell I was banned from the DoD forums because I complained so much about DoD:S. I complained in the UbiSoft forums auf R6 Vegas. But at some point you will notice that it's just doesn't make a ****ing difference, the industry is the way it is and personally I just stopped caring. I still like playing realism games/mods and still do but I stopped shouting that everything else is crap. Another thing is that in my opinion atmosphere counts much more than realism.

Upvote 0
Well from what I have heard OFP translated fairly well to console in OFP:E, so I don't see how this can't be made decent for both platforms. I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure as lets face it, ArmA was a massive let down.

These guys seem determined to make a proper sequel to OFP, and I really like the premise of conflict between the USA and 'asiatic forces' (eg. somehting like North Koreans or Chinese) it's much more plausible and interesting than a qaus- soivet style make believe island nation.

Upvote 0
Well from what I have heard OFP translated fairly well to console in OFP:E, so I don't see how this can't be made decent for both platforms. I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure as lets face it, ArmA was a massive let down.

These guys seem determined to make a proper sequel to OFP, and I really like the premise of conflict between the USA and 'asiatic forces' (eg. somehting like North Koreans or Chinese) it's much more plausible and interesting than a qaus- soivet style make believe island nation.

'farely well' isnt 'good' or 'great', now is it?:eek:

Upvote 0
God what are you talking about. Who says that they are porting a console version, you can't just make wrong facts up.
I did not say it was gonna be a consoleport. However, stuff being simultaniously made for consoles and pc usually lead to this, and if not, both versions still are very much the same (logically) but what that means is that the pc version still be more simple then it should have been.
What i was referring to was the 'consoles will have their sucky version, we'll have the good version' statement. But both games will be pretty much identical, even if its not ported, so our version still wouldnt reach it full potential.
That is my fear.

Upvote 0