• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Now I remember why I don't play RO Anymore!

Capt.Marion

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2006
Beantown
WTF! I can't hit a person let alone the broadside of a barn at 75 yds with a scoped SVT or G43? Come on people!

What are the physics of a Scoped Semi-Automatic rifle of roughly the same barrel length as their bolt action counterparts not hitting the target consistently with the same accuracy of the scoped bolt rifles- who themselves are even not realistically accurate enough? Why?

Recoil would be less- they weighed much more than the average bolt action rifle! Plus, they are handled by people that shoot PPSh more accurately at the same range!

Don't give me "Oh, its a dirty rifle, not sighted in..." Please. Am I the only one that sees this?

There shouldn't even be any drop at that distance, let alone 200 yds! I'm sorry for venting, but COME ON PEOPLE! We have armored beasts, now howbout fixing those problems with the rifles and SMGs in a mod or mutator! And yes, I've shot both Mosin-Nagants and Mausers, I understand what they are capable of- and I never even learned to shoot a rifle like that properly!

Last edited:
Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
if the kar98 was semi auto, then i would probably hit less targets then when it is a bolter.
the semis make you take risks and feel overconfident, and many times you miss the first shot and then your chances to still hit the target drop drastically.
when i use a bolt i am much more carefull and shoot only when im sure to hit, and with succes.

Upvote 0
Yeah, semi-snipers kick too much. Vanilla semi's kick less than the scoped ones. IMO this is a balance decision from devs with a little realism poured in. If they did it *right-*, no one would pick a bolter unless that map had like 600 meters fighting range. The semi-scoped rifles would be the king of every map in the hands of a capable "rambo".

But now with little more kickback and recoil, and more inaccuracy with repeated shots, you have to use them *right*. Which balances them with bolts.

Upvote 0
Agreeing with everyone here, the semi-autos are pretty much as accurate as the bolts, at least for the effective ranges we're playing with here. The game does code semi-autos to be slightly more innacurate, and you can tell this with the sniper-models. But at normal ranges, semi-autos are extremely effective.

Generally speaking, the actions of semi-auto weapons have an effect on accuracy. Most snipers preferred Bolt-Action for this reason. Now-a-days, semi-auto rifles are very close to their bolt action brothers, but this is WWII we're talking about. Given, it shouldn't be that bad. Anything more than 0.5 MOA would be overkill I would think. (1 inch at 100m, 2 inches at 200m, etc). Don't quote me on that, though. I'll have to do some research to know the differences between those weapons in particular.

Upvote 0
WTF! I can't hit a person let alone the broadside of a barn at 75 yds with a scoped SVT or G43? Come on people!

What are the physics of a Scoped Semi-Automatic rifle of roughly the same barrel length as their bolt action counterparts not hitting the target consistently with the same accuracy of the scoped bolt rifles- who themselves are even not realistically accurate enough? Why?

Recoil would be less- they weighed much more than the average bolt action rifle! Plus, they are handled by people that shoot PPSh more accurately at the same range!

Don't give me "Oh, its a dirty rifle, not sighted in..." Please. Am I the only one that sees this?

There shouldn't even be any drop at that distance, let alone 200 yds! I'm sorry for venting, but COME ON PEOPLE! We have armored beasts, now howbout fixing those problems with the rifles and SMGs in a mod or mutator! And yes, I've shot both Mosin-Nagants and Mausers, I understand what they are capable of- and I never even learned to shoot a rifle like that properly!

For semi-autos in general, because the action parts are moving, there is an inherent loss of accuracy compared to a bolt action, whose parts are locked mechanically until the shooter operates the action manually. Because the action is moving during the firing process, this is a stability issue.

With respect to the SVT specifically as a sniper platform ... there was a reason that the Sovs pulled it from production as a sniper weapon after only, what, a year and a half? They put the 91/30 PU back into production in 1942, after having discontinued the PE/PEM series in favor of the SVT-40.

The specific problem was ... damnit, what was it. It was something with the wrist bolts, I think. Recoil was pushing the wrist-bolts and wearing at the wood of the stock, and that allowed the action to move around too much, and that caused massive problems.

Anything more than 0.5 MOA would be overkill I would think. (1 inch at 100m, 2 inches at 200m, etc).

MOA = 1" per Hundred Yards. So, .5 MOA would be a half an inch at one hundred yards.

Upvote 0
Well, this might just be me but the G43 is just as accurate for the purpose up to about 500 meters the problem is that the crosshairs are slightly dogey in my experience in real measurements you seem to get the best accuracy not by using the point but a few millimeters below it. Maybe a historical feature maybe a slight error on the part of the game.

Upvote 0
The main gripe I have is the huge difference between a scopet SVT40/G43 and their unscoped counterparts. Take this as an example;

Danzig, I'm a German with a scoped G43, from the building on the East Bridge head's corner I put my reticle right on enemies at the other end of the street (West Bridge) and shots miss. With an unscoped and iron sighted G43 I will hit them 1st shot 90% of the time if I can see them.

It seems a plague of weird innacuracy is applied to the scope semi autos and I don't know what causes it, but I find I am so much more effective using the iron sighted semi auto's at the same ranges as the scoped ones. Which is why i don't use them.

Upvote 0
The reason the semi-autos aren't as accurate as the bolt-actions is in order to function the bolts move back in the receiver. That shifting of mass will inherently make the rifle not as accurate a bolt-action.
The SVT-40, in particular, will never be as accurate as the 91/30 because where the gas is tapped on out the barrel is covered in a metal shroud. That in itself will affect how the bullet comes out of the muzzle. Think of it like this: when a bullet travels down the barrel it wants a smooth ride, right? So when the end of the barrel gets "squished" or if there is anything to disrupt the resonance of the barrel, that will put the bullet off a bit.
When somebody "accurizes" their rifle, the are making sure that there is nothing externally touching the barrel, that means sanding the wood around the barrel enough so you can slip a dollar bill through it without hickups.
If you compare the russian dragunov to the romanian dragunov (russian uses tokarev type gas system, romak uses ak47 gas system) the romanian drag will be far less accurate than the russian because of so much more mass moving back upon firing.
That's my two cents on it.

Upvote 0
I think you misunderstood ro_sauce.

I myself am fully aware of the differences between a semi-automatic and bolt action in the real world and how this impacts accuracy. The point, that I at least, was trying to make is that in RO the scoped out semi-autos seem far less accurate than the unscoped semi-autos.

I've actually tested it too, I was in a server myself the other day and decided to test it. So I was on Danzig lying prone firing up one of the streets at the top of a lamp post (as the spark is easily visible), I tested nearly all the rifles, range was probably 80m. With all variety of bolt actions I could score 5 out of 5 hits consistently no problems at all. With the standard G43 I could score around 8 out of 10 with some just missing, with the standard SVT40 I could score around 7 out of 10, it was a little noticeably less accurate than the G43 (ie. the misses were flyers). Now with the scoped semi's it gets intersting, I was averaging 6 with the G43 and 5 with the SVT40, and to get even further intersting I was getting the odd miss with the bolt action snipers as well. This is with my scope reticle swallowed by the lamp post head.

Something has always been off with the sniper rifles, it feels like something to do with the aiming reticle, all I know is that I have always felt they were a bit broken since RO was a mod, and I know I'm not alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you misunderstood ro_sauce.

I myself am fully aware of the differences between a semi-automatic and bolt action in the real world and how this impacts accuracy. The point, that I at least, was trying to make is that in RO the scoped out semi-autos seem far less accurate than the unscoped semi-autos.

I've actually tested it too, I was in a server myself the other day and decided to test it. So I was on Danzig lying prone firing up one of the streets at the top of a lamp post (as the spark is easily visible), I tested nearly all the rifles, range was probably 80m. With all variety of bolt actions I could score 5 out of 5 hits consistently no problems at all. With the standard G43 I could score around 8 out of 10 with some just missing, with the standard SVT40 I could score around 7 out of 10, it was a little noticeably less accurate than the G43 (ie. the misses were flyers). Now with the scoped semi's it gets intersting, I was averaging 6 with the G43 and 5 with the SVT40, and to get even further intersting I was getting the odd miss with the bolt action snipers as well. This is with my scope reticle swallowed by the lamp post head.

Something has always been off with the sniper rifles, it feels like something to do with the aiming reticle, all I know is that I have always felt they were a bit broken since RO was a mod, and I know I'm not alone.

QFT!

Upvote 0