• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TripWire's "next project"

It could totally suck, if the content and art would be on the same level.
I mean, the same level of tank combat simulation, the same fantasy uniforms, the same needed features (for example, now wounded soldier is as effective as a fresh one).
I love RO, but when I think of those little things, they ruin my mood every time. It's OK as it has engine limitations, which I understand, but if the other game with cool, powerful engine will have the same problems, it will suck, I tell you.

Upvote 0
I mean, the same level of tank combat simulation, the same fantasy uniforms, the same needed features (for example, now wounded soldier is as effective as a fresh one).
I love RO, but when I think of those little things, they ruin my mood every time. It's OK as it has engine limitations, which I understand, but if the other game with cool, powerful engine will have the same problems, it will suck, I tell you.

I dont know you, but I like RO the way it is, well, I like it better the way it was in the mod, I wouldn't want it to become a 100% realism war sim like ArmA, the current realism level of RO is ok

Upvote 0

It's true. It's just logical thinking: for example, a wounded soldier shouldn't be as effective as a healthy one, like you said. And the player should be able to mantle over sandbags and other obstacles. And maps should be bigger (think Kriegstadt), because it usually ends up in more realistic gameplay. And, and, and, and....

TWI's philosophy of "if it's easy to do in real life, it should be easy to do in game" is now more important than ever. It's 2008, the FPS is evolving (about time, too). Standards are getting higher.

TWI are a smart bunch, I'm sure they know about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont know you, but I like RO the way it is, well, I like it better the way it was in the mod, I wouldn't want it to become a 100% realism war sim like ArmA, the current realism level of RO is ok

He's not suggesting turning it into something like ArmA. He's just pointing out there are some small but irritating details which should be vastly improved. Like tank combat, being wounded . . .

Not to mention the features THAT need to be added. As I said, I'd consider RO2 or whatever it is a big fail if it's the same old thing with UE 3.0 eyecandy.

The new engine will fix loads of issues. Dont know why people get so wound up about current engine issues anways :rolleyes:

Don't know why you so easily jump into conclusions everytime anyways :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
He's not suggesting turning it into something like ArmA. He's just pointing out there are some small but irritating details which should be vastly improved. Like tank combat, being wounded . . .

being wounded with huge weapon swaying is one of the things that are in ArmA that I don't want to see in RO, I don't care how realistic it is, the tediousness it would bring surpases any possible benefit

Upvote 0
i wouldn't mind tanks if they were consistent. Tbh the only "popular" game to get away with veichles so far is bf2 and tbh thats still annoying as hell in that.

Now i do enjoy a good combined arms map (eg gorlitz) but when the focus is on the infantry to back the tank (whether to allow it forward or to cap in the buildings) as soon as the tanks start to dominate then the fun goes out the window.

Upvote 0
I think that the mobility and detection of vehicles are the biggest problems in RO atm.
Not the penetration data and deflection.

Tanks don't have DSG transmissions which work seamlessly unlike in the game, acceleration is way too fast and it's too lineair aswell.
And above all it's impossible to hear tanks in the game at the moment.

Engines of these displacements make ALOT of noise, not to mention the tracks and the huge transmissions.

Hidden & Dangerous 2 has got very realistic vehicle behaviour.

If the developers are planning to have tanks in their future title they ought to have:
  • Dynamic wheel/track-independent kinematic friction
    (also known as wheelspin/skid)
  • Non-lineair steering
    (Wheel turn gradually towards their lock instead of fully out when you press A/D, this ruined BF1942/BF2)
  • Realistic torque curves for different engines
  • Intervals between gear shifts
    (to add the effect of clutching/double clutching to synchronize gears)
  • Different situations for every differential setups
  • Engine stall
  • Different friction co

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Plus, also, about the tank combat. After playing WW2 Online I was shocked of how hard it is to spot enemy vehicles. Even if one knows general area of a tank, even if one sees rounds flying from "somewhere over there", it's still god damn hard!
Which is good, because there you can make a real ambush, you can move your tank 100 meters to the right and win some time, because enemy will loose you.
Try that in RO: I can tell that there is a tank from a frigging 1 km!

Upvote 0
What makes RO so good is the bolt action rifle.
I just hope that the next TWI game is not a modern combat thing with 12314231 scoped classes and 523442 automatic sprayers.

QFT.

Automatic weapons make things a lot less fun (the SVT, smgs and G43/41 are fine though because they have their limitations and are far weaker against bolts in certain situations)

Deadly accurate full auto assault rifles are boring though.

Upvote 0