• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help me upgrade my comp, please?

Here are my actual comp specs which make for a nice setup but I feel it's time to upgrade.
  • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz
  • Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard
  • Corsair TWINX DDR2800 2x1024Mb CL5
  • Asus Nvidia Extreme N7900GTX 512MB
  • 600 watt ATX Thermaltake PSU
  • WD 74GB Sata Raptor
  • Thermaltake Matrix black case
  • Windows XP Professional SP2
The two pieces I'm looking to get are:I was pretty much on point about current hardware when I bought and assembled my rig 1+ year ago thanks to precious advice but pretty much lost touch with what's the actual top stuff and what's to be expected in the future (a clanmate had told me to wait 3 more months at the time to get a Core 2 Duo, when I didn't even knew they were coming out at the time - and which proved to be a great choice)

So, what's your advice about the 2 pieces I posted for my rig and/or am I better off waiting a few more months for something major or totally new?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Id would stick with your current CPU mate, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade it unless you like doing video editing and encoding. If you was coming from an AMD64 i would recommend the quaddy, but the 2.4GHz Conroe you have is the same as the Q6600 minus 2 cores.

The video card on the other hand will be a huge upgrade over what you have now so i would say go for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So uhh, what games do you have atm that you can't run properly?
I think can run most of them actually, even Crysis pretty good on a mix of medium and max settings though it becomes a slideshow (a real pain in the ***) on the snow level and some parts of the first levels.

Thing is I like to play at max settings and full AA and AF and I can't achieve it on some games I still play whenever I got spare time like TDU in which I can't turn HDR (not the same HDR type as the one rendered in RO) on due to nVidia 7*** series restrictions. And I play on a 27" (1920*1200) which puts more stress on my GPU than a 1280*1024 res would do, especially with AA & AF on.

Id would stick with your current CPU mate, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade it unless you like doing video editing and encoding. If you was coming from an AMD64 i would recommend the quaddy, but the 2.4GHz Conroe you have is the same as the Q6600 minus 2 cores.

The video card on the other hand will be a huge upgrade over what you have now so i would say go for it.
Thanks for that, m8! What you and Ralfst3r suggest seems the reasonable thing to go for. :)

And for how do you guys etimate I'll be set with a 8800 GTS 512mb (g92)? a good year?

EDIT:
I'm wondering if my PSU will need an upgrade for that GPU :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Na im running the 640mb version on a 480w Neopower and its fine. By all accounts the g92 chipset is less power hungry.
Thanks for the info, Spraduke!

I've just finished reading 2 detailed reviews and it seems the 8800GTS 512 is better than the 8800GTX (much more expensive) but when it comes to high res like mine (1920*1200) and with AA on the GTX still holds its own while the GTS 512 is getting weak. :(

Any final words on that?

EDIT: Just saw your post Sigurd. Thanks for that too. Looks like bad news. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the price of the GTX you could get an 8800gt 512 and a 680i or 780i SLI mobo. That would give you the option to pick up another ~$200 8800gt in the future if you want to squeeze maybe 25-40% more FPS in games.

The difference you see in game between a e6600 and a q6600 is a few FPS at best in most games. Just overclock your e6600 and you will be good to go.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, Spraduke!

I've just finished reading 2 detailed reviews and it seems the 8800GTS 512 is better than the 8800GTX (much more expensive) but when it comes to high res like mine (1920*1200) and with AA on the GTX still holds its own while the GTS 512 is getting weak. :(

Any final words on that?

EDIT: Just saw your post Sigurd. Thanks for that too. Looks like bad news. :(

I run a 24" monitor with an 8800GTX, i try and run all my games with 4xAA (16XAF pretty much comes free these days) so the likes of Source engine based games, FEAR and BF2 all fly over 60 FPS 99% of the time. Its not all songs and dances though, i can not run 1920 x 1200 with AA in CoD 4 or UT3 without the frames descending into the sub 30 values. While COD4 can achieve high FPS with it enabled; a lot of sections run like crap and the fluctuation and inconsistency of the frame rates throws the experience right off.

So what i am getting at is an 8800 GTS 512 (G92 part) would be a more sensible option next to purchasing a GTX.

Now while this card will provide a substantial increase in performance over a 7900GTX, do not expect miracles. Crysis will not be bettered for a while. A silly overclocked Q9650 with a tri SLI GTX set up will only squeeze 10fps more on average than a 3GHz Conroe with a single GTX at 24"+ resolutions. You can throw thousands at insanely priced hardware but the software optimization is simply not there, at least not in the gaming world.

Anyway you get the idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I run a 24" monitor with an 8800GTX, i try and run all my games with 4xAA (16XAF pretty much comes free these days) so the likes of Source engine based games, FEAR and BF2 all fly over 60 FPS 99% of the time. Its not all songs and dances though, i can not run 1920 x 1200 with AA in CoD 4 or UT3 without the frames descending into the sub 30 values. While COD4 can achieve high FPS with it enabled; a lot of sections run like crap and the fluctuation and inconsistency of the frame rates throws the experience right off.

So what i am getting at is an 8800 GTS 512 (G92 part) would be a more sensible option next to purchasing a GTX.

Now while this card will provide a substantial increase in performance over a 7900GTX, do not expect miracles. Crysis will not be bettered for a while. A silly overclocked Q9650 with a tri SLI GTX set up will only squeeze 10fps more on average than a 3GHz Conroe with a single GTX at 24"+ resolutions. You can throw thousands at insanely priced hardware but the software optimization is simply not there, at least not in the gaming world.

Anyway you get the idea.
Thanks for the taking the time, m8!

I've looked around and the 9800's are due around March right? Couldn't find definitive info about their pricing... they'll be cost what a GTX costs now I assume from estimations.

And money *ain't really* an issue right now for me. Still this damn doubt that comes when purchasing hardware... go for that good stuff out now or wait for that new thing.

Dcode, When do you think you'll be doing an upgrade on your system?

Upvote 0
The 9800GX2 is due march but its still using existing G92 archieture; that is 2 GTS 512 cores in a single card solution. So your getting an SLI GTS 512 setup in one package. Not really worth the wait IMO. If you really can not wait and money is no object then look at the 8800Ultra, its the fastest card in existence but its not really good value. The Radeon 3870X2 looks like its going to beat it but the benchmarks can not given an accurate representation of the product as the drivers are infantile at this point. I would keep a close eye on this one if you can wait a few weeks. As for the true 9800 (G100), no one knows when the next gen solutions will be available, could be March, could be end of 2008. Just guesses really.

My current system which i assembled in September (purchased my GTX in July and carried it over from my old Athlon X2 system) will last me 2 years until my next upgrade cycle. I may buy a new GPU in the mean time should i require it. As for the 775 Intel P35 platform and E6850 Duo it will be strong enough for 2 years of good use.

Upvote 0
I got me the XFX 8800GTX xxx Edition. First time I bought XFX, matter of fact I didn't knew about this brand prior to two days ago but it has become my first choice for GPUs replacing Asus.

As a final word, I'll be ****ing disappointed only if the 9800GTX is released in less than two months and thanks again to all who posted with advice. :)

EDIT:
Gah! What drivers are worth it? I heard my clanmates complain about the 169.xx as being ****ty. Any word on older official ones or maybe Omega ones?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0