• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is steam a hog?

The thing that you should be checking is the Virtual Memory size (you can enable it in task manager by going View -> Select Columns). When Steam starts, it uses about 65,300k, and after a game session (doesn't matter how long, though it only seems to happen with Source based games) the VM size jumps to about 110,000k. So in short, yeah, It's kind of a memory hog :mad:.

Upvote 0
You're sure you don't mean the swapfile? Because, while steam does only use 12 megs of RAM, the windows swapfile gets larger by about 100 megs for me.

Unless you have less then these 100 megs free on your HD (which is bad anyways for your performance), steam won't slow down your system.

Oh ****, I was 100% sure the task mngr graph shows mem usage, not PF. :eek:
Sorry to waste your time, guys.

So, how do I track mem usage?
Choosing columns option doesnt appear in the view list for some reason.

Upvote 0
Choosing columns option doesnt appear in the view list for some reason.

Make sure that you're in the processes tab, and try all of the other options as well. I'm not sure why exactly it wouldn't show you, also, I think that if you're not an admin in Windows then it might not show all of your options, but I'm sure that you could find some third party app out there that lets you check all the stuff you want.

Upvote 0
Make sure that you're in the processes tab, and try all of the other options as well.

Its there alright, thanks. Though I see the mem usage is already ticked. This is not as straight forward deal as it should be, I think...

You can see the RAM usage in the processes screen.

How do I tell it to sum it up for me. Ill feel like an idiot if Ill have to sit in front of my PC with a calculator.

Upvote 0