• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Team Fortress 2!

half of thread said:
This game is for kids
What about South Park? Simpsons? Futurama? Family Guy? None of these are aimed at kids at all, even if they are cartoons, and neither will TF2 be, I suspect.
We dont have too many games to compare with, except maybe some old ones, like Monkey Island, Day Of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, all done in cartoon style, but you certainly didnt have to be a kid to enjoy them

Also the newly steam-released "The Ship" has quite a cartoonish look, but again its no kids game.

This game will be cool, I just know it, and it will be different

Upvote 0
Why is it that everytime someone sees a cartoon, they assume it's for kids? That's the attitude my parents have, and it's lame. It's like saying every live-action show is for adults.

With regards to TF2, I'm coming out of the blue here. I've never played Team Fortress in ANY of its incarnations, and have no pre-conceived expectations for it.

I personally love the look of it. It's got character, charm, and a look all its own. It's like they took the stereotype of each character and added a little something extra to it. I personally love the little details:

Sniper: Hilarious, with his aussie bush hat and a scope the size of a Saturn V. He's very obviously a "big-game" hunter - and there's no bigger game than human beings.

Scout: He's skinny little college baseball player-type, with his pants tucked into his pulled-up socks, running shoes, and baseball cap.

Spy/Assassin: A slick suit, tie, black leather gloves, and... a mask that would not look out of place in Zed's basement in Pulp Fiction.

Engineer: Dressed for safety. Hardhat. Goggles. Cushy kneepads.

I wouldn't call it cel-shaded either. The textures have much more detail than regular "toonshaders", such as the pinstriping on the spy's suit or the cloth on the heavy's shirt. This is far better than the "cel shaded" art like what you see in Wind Waker or XIII which usually appears very flat.

Maybe long-time fans are disappointed it went away from a realistic look, but I'm really looking forward to it. Every time Valve has done "realistic" - CS:S, DOD:S - it always looks too flat and clean. This game seems to look like it should - fun and fast.

Upvote 0
I'd have to disagree that it has a look all its own, it doesen't, it looks like The Incredibles, even the music they chose for their teaser was like taken from The Incredibles, aswell as several of the scenes looked like they where stolen from the movie.

Nothing wrong with that style, but its certainly not all their own.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
I'd have to disagree that it has a look all its own, it doesen't, it looks like The Incredibles, even the music they chose for their teaser was like taken from The Incredibles, aswell as several of the scenes looked like they where stolen from the movie.

Yeah the music definitely is Goodwin- or Giacchino-esque. I like that style.

Upvote 0

The Incredibles absolutely but even before that I would say the 1st time i saw characters like these was in the game Timesplitters.
But the ship also had similar cartoony look - as did Jetset radio and XIII ( but in differing styles)

They may have taken a pinch of this and that but being valve they make the right choices and produce it to perfection.

Upvote 0
Having played TFC for a couple years straight back when i was 14, I am a little disappointed with TF2. I remember old screenshots showing it would be a lot more serious looking and not so gamey. It's just not what I thought the final product would look like.

I was really looking forward to this:
tf4_screen001.jpg

NOT THIS:
437678_20060714_screen001.jpg

That's how I feel right now, I found this version of TF2 to be basically too generic and cartoony for my tastes. Much overrated imo. Some may think this style of the game is now a moot issue since TF2 has been released, but whatever...

Upvote 0
yeah putz, its not bad, but its been getting worse. the game devs have been making the game retardedly easy, and the performance has been going down since october in every one of their patches...

Come again? The devs haven't done any balancing to the game since they fixed the pyro's flame stream. All that they've done for recent updates have been bug fixes for both gameplay an in the maps.

Upvote 0
I would rather see TF2 look like the original TF, instead of some mainstream piece of crap that will make 10 year olds beg their dad to buy it

Young kids won't beg their parents to buy it because guess what, they are dissuaded by the cartoony look. Kids want to play Grand Theft Auto and Halo "BECAUSE DEY R MATURR GAEMS FOR MATURR GAMERZ AND DAT IS ME LOL!" Not insulting people who like those games, but its true, they draw in a much younger crowd than other games.

Considering its popularity TF2 has one of the best multiplayer communities going for it right now and this is definitely because it draws in older players or at least people who aren't so insecure about their age they aren't willing to go near anything with the word 'cartoon' attached. It has a beautiful visual style, great writing for the different classes and doesn't take itself seriously while managing to maintain a very strong sense of balance and fun. If thats kiddy and mainstream then more games should follow it. It is one of the best multiplayer experiences in recent years and to discard it on the basis that it looks 'kiddy' is, I'm sorry to say, incredibly childish.

And how is it mainstream? How many other games emulate the style Valve are going for? Mainstream is making some gritty, dark, modern combat setting or dare I say it, WW2.

Upvote 0
Stop wanking over your "realism" games and acknowledge that TF2 is a fun and brilliant game, dammit.

lol, "realism"

Young kids won't beg their parents to buy it because guess what, they are dissuaded by the cartoony look. Kids want to play Grand Theft Auto and Halo "BECAUSE DEY R MATURR GAEMS FOR MATURR GAMERZ AND DAT IS ME LOL!" Not insulting people who like those games, but its true, they draw in a much younger crowd than other games.

Considering its popularity TF2 has one of the best multiplayer communities going for it right now and this is definitely because it draws in older players or at least people who aren't so insecure about their age they aren't willing to go near anything with the word 'cartoon' attached. It has a beautiful visual style, great writing for the different classes and doesn't take itself seriously while managing to maintain a very strong sense of balance and fun. If thats kiddy and mainstream then more games should follow it. It is one of the best multiplayer experiences in recent years and to discard it on the basis that it looks 'kiddy' is, I'm sorry to say, incredibly childish.

And how is it mainstream? How many other games emulate the style Valve are going for? Mainstream is making some gritty, dark, modern combat setting or dare I say it, WW2.

He speaks the truth.

Upvote 0