• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wheres all the bolt actions gone

C-Unit

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2007
I was playing a server on Stalingrad Kessel today and while there was about 25 people on my team, I noticed that only one sorry **** had to use a bolt action. When I looked at the roster there were 8 people using SMG's. I didn't look at the rest of the classes. And other servers will have only 5 or so. I'm not trying to stirr up some whole debate, but I kinda want to put out a complaint about it. I feel you should at least have 10 bolts per side. I'm pretty sure that most soldiers got bolts.

Or if you added like only one or maybe 2 SMG's and semi's on the 50 servers. But 8 SMG's, come the **** on.

Uhh...2 Smg's in a 50 player server!? Thats your idea of realism? I'd say about 8 smg's on each team would be about right. If you want to get really realistic, give the Russian team ALL ppsh41's on Konigsplatz, and allow 10 ppsh41 slots on Danzig, Odessa, and Krasnyi Oktober. The Soviets manufactured about 6,000,000 ppsh41's during the war (not to mention the ppsh43 and ppd40). During the battle for the Reichstag the ENTIRE attacking soviet infantry companies was composed of nothing but assault troops equipped with ppsh41's and an extra compliment of grenades.

The Russians understood very well the effectives and nessecity of automatic weapons in close range urban firefights. The Germans did as well however their Mp40's weren't the best weapons to use in places like Berlin, Stalingrad, Budapest etc. Plus they weren't manufacted in as many numbers.

So in the end yes, it is realistic to have 20+ russians running around with smg's. But I agree for play balance maybe things should be tweaked such as recoil while standing, increased spawn time for smg's etc.

Upvote 0
Uhh...2 Smg's in a 50 player server!? Thats your idea of realism? I'd say about 8 smg's on each team would be about right. If you want to get really realistic, give the Russian team ALL ppsh41's on Konigsplatz, and allow 10 ppsh41 slots on Danzig, Odessa, and Krasnyi Oktober. The Soviets manufactured about 6,000,000 ppsh41's during the war (not to mention the ppsh43 and ppd40). During the battle for the Reichstag the ENTIRE attacking soviet infantry companies was composed of nothing but assault troops equipped with ppsh41's and an extra compliment of grenades.

The Russians understood very well the effectives and nessecity of automatic weapons in close range urban firefights. The Germans did as well however their Mp40's weren't the best weapons to use in places like Berlin, Stalingrad, Budapest etc. Plus they weren't manufacted in as many numbers.

So in the end yes, it is realistic to have 20+ russians running around with smg's. But I agree for play balance maybe things should be tweaked such as recoil while standing, increased spawn time for smg's etc.

We all know that there were full smg squads lyes is a depiction of one of those scenarios. and thats why on a 50 player server pretty much nobody has to get a bolt.

Remember on a 50 player server that one side is 25 players. even if 6 million ppsh's were produced during the war. 17.5 million mosins were produced during the war with lots of weapons reused from the first world war.

its somewhat unlogical in a team of 25 to have 2 bolt action users. And the rest having machineguns smgs snipers semi-auto rifles etc.
In a 50 player server this means you have as many normal rifle users as you have of snipers and machineguns while it was till the end of the war the primary weapon.

the problem is not perse the smgs but the amount of non rifle classes in total.

say you have 10smg users then you have another 5 semi auto users 2 mgs, a commander with a smg too, and atleast 1 sniper

10+5+2+1+1 = 19 slots filled with speciality classes so 6 slots would be left for the most common weapon nearly as many ingame as there are semi auto users. thats where the problem is.

And the biggest issue is that alot of the servers including 50 player ones is that they are often not completely full so you play with 40 people on a 50 player server and poof only 1 rifleman per side.

Upvote 0
We all know that there were full smg squads lyes is a depiction of one of those scenarios. and thats why on a 50 player server pretty much nobody has to get a bolt.

Remember on a 50 player server that one side is 25 players. even if 6 million ppsh's were produced during the war. 17.5 million mosins were produced during the war with lots of weapons reused from the first world war.

its somewhat unlogical in a team of 25 to have 2 bolt action users. And the rest having machineguns smgs snipers semi-auto rifles etc.
In a 50 player server this means you have as many normal rifle users as you have of snipers and machineguns while it was till the end of the war the primary weapon.

the problem is not perse the smgs but the amount of non rifle classes in total.

say you have 10smg users then you have another 5 semi auto users 2 mgs, a commander with a smg too, and atleast 1 sniper

10+5+2+1+1 = 19 slots filled with speciality classes so 6 slots would be left for the most common weapon nearly as many ingame as there are semi auto users. thats where the problem is.

And the biggest issue is that alot of the servers including 50 player ones is that they are often not completely full so you play with 40 people on a 50 player server and poof only 1 rifleman per side.

You make a good point. But then again why are their 5 semi-auto slots? Semi-automatic rifles were the rarest weapons of the war on all sides (except America). There should be maybe 1 SVT/K43 slot per team. And sorry if I didn't make it clear. But I was stricly talking about close-quarters/urban maps. Not maps like snowy forest, or Barashka, or Rakowice. On these maps bolts are actually more useful to have than smg's so it would be logical to further restrict smg slots on more open distance orientated maps.

sorry if my grammer is crap...new years hangover lol :)

Upvote 0
The old "Soviet/German Smg battalion argument" for smgs doesn't work very well considering the other loadouts in the game. If the Russians in Konigsplatz have all smgs to be realistic, then the Germans should receive only grenades and panzerfausts, as this is what they realistically had.

Its not always practical to have exact weapon loadouts, factors such as realism, balance, mapping, player ratios, and gameplay all go into this. Non smg/autorifle classes using these weapons (engineer, commander, etc...) must also be taken into account.

Personally, I do beleive there is quite an overabundance in smgs. The number per side quadruples on transitioning from a 32 player server to a 50 player server. People supporting this because they dislike rifles must remember that, for one thing, rifleman is a hard class to play when everyone has smgs but you. The old "50 player servers=bullet spam" argument also stems from this excessive smg/autorifle situation.

The rifle meant tactics, since you had to rely on your teammates to keep up the rate of fire and watch your back when bolting. The smg can be hipped and sprayed about, negating tactics when used in large numbers.

Upvote 0
The rifle meant tactics, since you had to rely on your teammates to keep up the rate of fire and watch your back when bolting. The smg can be hipped and sprayed about, negating tactics when used in large numbers.
By that definition you couldn't have a modern day tactical shooter...;)

People need to calm down about the SMGs a bit. Everytime you get killed by one you automatically think: "Yeah, great. So you spammed me to death. Great job"! Same with 'nades. Everytime you get blown up by one you go: "'Nade-spam! It has to stop. Waargh"!

SMGs are actually rather hard to use unless you are operation in narrow corridors or small buildings, so its not like an SMG would be some sort of newbie-weapon.

That said, I agree that there are too many of them on 50 man servers because the ratio is distorted and a great deal of what makes RO so interesting is the struggle between rifles, SMGs, Semis, MGs, etc. and if anything but the rifles get the upper hand this gameplay is washed out.

I don't know why the devs chose to change the ratio for 50 man servers, but in my opinion it was a wrong move.

Upvote 0